Are you still planning to attend Uni in 2020?

Watch
Poll: Are you still planning on attending uni in 2020?
Yes, I'm planning on attending if I get a place (573)
67.97%
No, I'm planning on deferring or taking a gap year (UK student) (89)
10.56%
No, I'm planning on deferring or taking a gap year (International student) (14)
1.66%
I'm still unsure on if I will attend or not (133)
15.78%
I'm planning on not going to uni at all in light of Covid-19 (34)
4.03%
StrawberryDreams
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...financial-pain

News has come out today that says over 230,000 students are changing their minds on attending university in 2020, which is a lot of people!

If you applied to go to Uni in the UK this year, are you still planning on attending in 2020 should you get a place? Or are you planning on defferring or taking a gap year?

What's affecting your decision? Is it worries around calculated grades not being what you hoped for, concerns around starting the year with online teaching or not being able to move to the city you were planning on starting on due to lockdown?

What would make your change your mind?

Let us know! :hugs:
nathanojyoung
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I kind of want to get it over and done with. Hopefully it will not affect too much of the course, if it does at all.
1st superstar
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
not Y13 but if I was I would 100% defer/take a gap year. Like I ain't paying £9.25K a year for online teaching especially since both of the degrees that I wanna do involve me having to be at uni/abroad.
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
not sure if i'll be attending in 2020, i just prefer in person teaching/lectures.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
If it's not in person I'll deferr. I'll feel like I'm only getting half the uni experience if I don't. I've started to realise the importance of social skills
StrawberryDreams
Rep:
?
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
not sure if i'll be attending in 2020, i just prefer in person teaching/lectures.
It's hard to make that call isn't it - hopefully they'll be some information out soon that helps with making the decision :hugs:

(Original post by 59999999999)
If it's not in person I'll deferr. I'll feel like I'm only getting half the uni experience if I don't. I've started to realise the importance of social skills
The social aspect of universitiy is definitley not to be overlooked! If uni's offered virtual social events, would that make a difference or not?
Chronoscope
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Idek what to do anymore :sad: got an offer to do a degree with a foundation year, but idk whether to defer that but it would still be four years and I'll be even older even if I hypothetically do study the degree.

Like I'm already 'behind a year' due to other circumstances anyway. At this point I'm thinking maybe I should forget uni and just go straight into full time work, and go back to uni later in life when all this stuff happening is over, and it won't interfere as much if I do go to uni in the end...

Also online classes with college haven't exactly been fantastic either.
Last edited by Chronoscope; 8 months ago
HolyDiver
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I have offers from 4/5 of my unis (RIP Oxford dreams) but I have no intention of going to any if there won't be in person teaching and a chance for the standard uni experience, social interaction and all. I know the point is to learn but I would be lying if I said I wasn't massively looking forward to the social aspect.

It doesn't help that my biggest draw to my top 2 options (Imperial and Southampton) is the fact they have abroad options. Though those are 2nd/3rd/4th year so they could very well be unaffected.
ClayJensen817
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
online or not if I get a place at Kings I am defo going there even if theyre giving me online lectures I dont care. Just get that degree and get out.
thegalaxy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Yes. I'm on a gap year right now which has been ruined by corona. I don't want another gap year.
AttacusAtlas
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I’m currently AS but because my predicted grades are based on work I didn’t get done because of personal circumstances I might end up getting absolutely ass predicted grades due to not sitting the AS exams and having to wait to apply . The only thing that can save me rn is that I did well in my January mocks. Hopefully as well, the internal exams when we go back will up my grades some.
Right now the options are get ABB or turn into a little forest creature and go feral. In all seriousness tho, a gap year wouldn’t be awful. Tbh, I could do with getting the work experience to build my personal statement. Just a lil peeved that I might not be doing it on my own free will. Never thought I’d have to look into how clearing works either, but here we are...
Also having some grumbles about already being a mature technically aged-out of 6th form student and likely having to end up yet another year behind my peers. Overall, I know this doesn’t matter, I would just like to be progressing.
Last edited by AttacusAtlas; 8 months ago
Boulanger
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Definitely still attending. Online learning is the way forward. People are going to defer for one year just to end up learning online in 2021.
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
sadly no
ClayJensen817
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by 59999999999)
sadly no
why?
Platypie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I'm pretty optimistic that we'll be able to go to uni physically by September and have lessons there so I've decided to still go. Of course social distancing will almost definitely still be in place by this time, which could really dampen Freshers week as well as the whole uni social experience in general. Still though, I feel that this whole mess will eventually have died down by 2021 so it's not like I'll be missing a major part of uni life overall. Above all, I just really don't want to defer a year, it already feels as though my life has been put on hold since lock-down and I need that comfort of knowing that I'll be moving soon.
username5070868
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Do you guys think that students would have a higher chance being accepted into top tier universities I.e. University of Manchester during clearing this year?
Joe Frazier
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by YK33)
Do you guys think that students would have a higher chance being accepted into top tier universities I.e. University of Manchester during clearing this year?
Probably. There’s not going to be any international students so they’re going to be panicking IMO.
StrawberryDreams
Rep:
?
(Original post by YK33)
Hey,

So there are going to be caps on the number of students each university can take, which is up to 5% over their forecasted growth for home students only (this doesn't include international students). So there is still some flexibility with admissions and potentially clearing, but don't expect much more than usual - if international students are not able to attend it won't make a difference to the number of spaces for home students.

Hope this helps. It's a pretty difficult situation and we won't know much more until after the 18th June, when universities have got more clarity on the number of places they will have left to go into Clearing.
?Hannah?
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
i won’t be paying 9k for an online experience. would rather defer and attend during 2021. just not worth paying so much money in my opinion
Ahnungslos
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Same here, will definitely not pay 9k for online classes. Uni is about the experience as much as the academic side. And how are online labs supposed to work? (I would be doing engineering). A gap year with travel restrictions wouldn't exactly be great either and it's not like internships and jobs are going to be easy to find under current circumstances. Still better than missing out on a normal uni experience imo though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (133)
61.29%
I don't have everything I need (84)
38.71%

Watched Threads