The Student Room Group

Ofqual rewarding a level grades

Does anyone else feel like they won’t get into uni this year because of how Ofqual are grading us.
Yep. I rlly should've revised for the mocks. Don't like the ranking thing they do to students, if the teachers think we can get the grade, then we can get the grade. They shouldn't give us lower grades just because there are ppl smarter than us in the year.

No point worrying about it now tho. We're all in this mess together, so all we can do is keep revising little by little and if it comes to it, then Autumn exams here we come.
(edited 4 years ago)
I feel the same don’t worry, it’s completely out of our control but I’m still worrying everyday about it
Original post by Bazookatron21
Yep. I rlly should've revised for the mocks. Don't like the ranking thing they do to students, if the teachers think we can get the grade, then we can get the grade. They shouldn't give us lower grades just because there are ppl smarter than us in the year.

No point worrying about it now tho. We're all in this mess together, so all we can do is keep revising little by little and if it comes to it, then Autumn exams here we come.

Oooh but it keeps getting worse, slowly but surely.

Rumor has it that there won’t be any autumn exams, because the exam boards do not want to produce the exams papers that were supposed to be for summer but this time for autumn. When I was told this I was so confused. If they had already made the exam papers then surely postponing it by a couple of months shouldn’t be an issue now should it? Unless the issue is releasing the papers and having the papers marked in time with results all published for 2020 uni applicants then I understand, but still there should be some sort of leeway with all of this.

I’m predicted a B in both Maths and Chemistry but the school I go to Is full of people who have been getting A’s all year round but I’ve been getting B and C. That means I’m definitely at the bottom of the ranking, so I don’t think I will be getting the B I need all because of my place on the ranking.

And the whole idea of someone giving you a grade based on the “mathematical or statistical system” that Ofqual are developing, doesn’t really sit well with me, and now there won’t be an opportunity to sit them if the rumor is true, and prove our selves of something better.

Why where we born at a time where this would happen to us, life is so unfair 🤕🤕
Original post by leonieraerx
I feel the same don’t worry, it’s completely out of our control but I’m still worrying everyday about it

Honestly the whole thing is eating me alive, like I don’t like not knowing what’s going to happen, and our teachers are sworn to secrecy as well. At least when doing the actual exams we were mentally able to have an idea of how well or badly you did. But now ..... I don’t know if I should prepare for clearing or not, I’ve been researching into it and looking at the sort of unis that usually have vacant spaces for the course I want to do.

It’s all a big mess, and I just want know I’m not the only one this stressed out about this. 🤕
Original post by Heartparisluver
Honestly the whole thing is eating me alive, like I don’t like not knowing what’s going to happen, and our teachers are sworn to secrecy as well. At least when doing the actual exams we were mentally able to have an idea of how well or badly you did. But now ..... I don’t know if I should prepare for clearing or not, I’ve been researching into it and looking at the sort of unis that usually have vacant spaces for the course I want to do.

It’s all a big mess, and I just want know I’m not the only one this stressed out about this. 🤕

Try not to stress over this. There was a report the other day that suggested 230,000 students are not likely to attend this year due to overseas students deciding not to come here and UK students deferring. If this is anywhere near right universities are going to struggle to fill their places and will be accepting students with dropped grades. This is also the fear of Universities UK that numbers are drastically going to drop this year and it will be causing financial difficulties for universities.

Every year over the last 8 or more years universities have been accepting students with dropped grades and the grades accepted have been getting lower each year. It hasnt been the case for courses like Medicine and a few top universities like Oxbridge but even course like Law have been accepting grades like BBC or lower. I know someone who has been made an unconditional offer from 5 universities for courses requiring AAB or ABB with actual grades of BCD from last year.

The situation is the same percentages of students will get the same grades as they would if they had sat exams and will be similar to previous years. Most students will get similar grades. There will be some winners and losers in terms of grades but the likelyhood is most will get the same or similar grades as they would have previously. There will be some who havent worked throughout the year who will do worse and some who have worked will do better. Those who havent worked and suddenly think they would have achieved results in exams would not have done as well anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending