The Student Room Group

A Level Choices Help Please

I've decided that I will be doing A level History and Sociology. However, I haven't made my mind up on whether I should do A level English Literature or French. I did like both of these subjects at GCSE. In the future, I'm interested in doing a Law degree at the moment.

Does anyone do English Literature or French and could give me their opinion on these subjects? Also, which A level do you think is harder to get a better grade in?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by idkitsme
I've decided that I will be doing A level History and Sociology. However, I haven't made my mind up on whether I should do A level English Literature or French. I did like both of these subjects at GCSE. In the future, I'm interested in doing a Law degree at the moment.

Does anyone do English Literature or French and could give me their opinion on these subjects? Also, which A level do you think is harder to get a better grade in?

One of my friends studies Law at the moment at University and they studied English Literature I would say that probably is a more relevant subject with regards to the which is harder to get a better grade in im assuming French would be harder but that is just my opinion
english lit and french are both fine subjects for law :yes: i did a level english lit and found it difficult- you need to be doing lots of practice essays to nail your essay technique. whilst i wouldn't say the jump between gcse and a level lit is big, i do think at a level the subject demands much more time and effort. difficulty is subjective, and you know your own strengths best- go for the subject you think you'd enjoy the most.
I'm y13 and do French, Eng lit and history.

In terms of law, either would be useful - Eng lit teaches you to notice the tiny details in texts and react to them, whilst French teaches you how to communicate, how to read a complex text, and provides you with a very practical skill. I'm going to do a French degree, hopefully, so I'd always recommend French first. However, you should do that one you enjoy most so that you'll study harder and get a better grade, hopefully. Perhaps read the books your college would study and see if you like them? Many are available at least in part online. With French, you also do some analysis of books/ a film, but I'd say that vocab and grammar are more important through the a level as a whole. French as the A level that taught me best how to learn through all the vocab, and it's always nice to be able to improve through listening to, watching and reading a wide variety of material!
Original post by idkitsme

Hi @idkitsme

Do you know if you can start with 4 A-Levels and then see how you get on and eventually drop one? If you could do this then it will allow you some time to try all of the classes and see which ones you prefer and which one you'd like to drop. I'd definitely ask your Sixth Form if this is an option. If it isn't then I recommend looking at the Uni's which you want to study Law at and seeing which subjects it requires if any. Also, there might be an opportunity to continue learning French alongside your degree at Uni. I did Spanish as an extra course alongside my course in my first year and then I did it as one of my modules in second year. It might be worth having at look at the Uni's you are interested in and finding out if they offer the same thing (definitely let them know when asking that you did French GCSE so you can find out if they offer a course which is the equivalent of an A-Level).

I hope this advice is useful:smile:

Erin - Official Student Rep :smile:
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi @idkitsme

Do you know if you can start with 4 A-Levels and then see how you get on and eventually drop one? If you could do this then it will allow you some time to try all of the classes and see which ones you prefer and which one you'd like to drop. I'd definitely ask your Sixth Form if this is an option. If it isn't then I recommend looking at the Uni's which you want to study Law at and seeing which subjects it requires if any. Also, there might be an opportunity to continue learning French alongside your degree at Uni. I did Spanish as an extra course alongside my course in my first year and then I did it as one of my modules in second year. It might be worth having at look at the Uni's you are interested in and finding out if they offer the same thing (definitely let them know when asking that you did French GCSE so you can find out if they offer a course which is the equivalent of an A-Level).

I hope this advice is useful:smile:

Erin - Official Student Rep :smile:

A law degree doesnt have any required A level btw
English lit complements the others better. French is hard and there’s a lot to learn- I know French people who struggle so I’d say english lit. You could start with both (do 4) then drop one a couple of weeks in so you can see for yourself what it’s like
FRENCH is such a valuable asset and will definitely help you STAND OUT from others. I see a lot of people talking about the skills you will get from Eng lit however you also get them from History lol. You seem to love essay subjects so if you are still unsure your sixth form should hold course guidance meetings later on to help advise you. Start will all then drop one.

Quick Reply

Latest