The Student Room Group

Maths PGCE Interview

Hey all,

I hope you’re all coping well with the lockdown! I’ve got my maths PGCE interview next week and I’m just wondering if anyone knows what sort of questions they’ll ask in the interview or if anyone has any tips?

Thanks!
Original post by Calmapal
Hey all,

I hope you’re all coping well with the lockdown! I’ve got my maths PGCE interview next week and I’m just wondering if anyone knows what sort of questions they’ll ask in the interview or if anyone has any tips?

Thanks!

They often ask about a current educational issue. Obviously at the moment, lockdown is a big one and the disadvantage gap is probably growing because of this. I'm sure that there's some maths specific issues out there too.

You'll sometimes get a question about the curriculum, and so it's worth making sure you know this well.

You nearly always get asked why teaching, why your subject and why your age group.

There's usually a question about resilience or stress or workload in there as well.

If you've done school experience, you'll sometimes be asked to reflect on that, too.

I hope this helps!
Reply 2
During my interview, I got asked about my past work experience and what my advantages are of being a teacher.
Also, the interviewer asked me to give her an oral presentation about a certain maths concept or topic that I taught before, which I think played a big part in the assessment.
Hope this helps!
Reply 3
That has been really useful! Just got to practice now! Thanks again!
Reply 4
Original post by Mark_Lee
During my interview, I got asked about my past work experience and what my advantages are of being a teacher.
Also, the interviewer asked me to give her an oral presentation about a certain maths concept or topic that I taught before, which I think played a big part in the assessment.
Hope this helps!

Oh okay, they did say there’s a ‘The why in mathematics’ presentation, guessing that’s going to be pretty similar! Did you have to do the maths test as part of your interview? If so how did you find it?
Hey all,

Thanks!

Morning @Calmapal

Just to add to the points people have made already. Just make sure you are up to date with the current curriculum and safeguarding. This is a huge part about teaching and can get asked about this in PGCE interviews, but definitely in job interviews so it's good to be aware.
Why do you want to be a teacher? But also what skills can you bring to make you an outstanding teacher.

Just be yourself and practice beforehand and try to relax is my best advice though. When is the interview? As we go through mock interviews with candidates at Get Into Teaching to help preparation if you have time.

Hope this helps.
Dan
Reply 6
Original post by Get into Teaching
Morning @Calmapal

Just to add to the points people have made already. Just make sure you are up to date with the current curriculum and safeguarding. This is a huge part about teaching and can get asked about this in PGCE interviews, but definitely in job interviews so it's good to be aware.
Why do you want to be a teacher? But also what skills can you bring to make you an outstanding teacher.

Just be yourself and practice beforehand and try to relax is my best advice though. When is the interview? As we go through mock interviews with candidates at Get Into Teaching to help preparation if you have time.

Hope this helps.
Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks for all the help! The interview is relatively soon (30th April) but if you have any slots I’d really appreciate a mock interview!
Hi Dan,

Thanks for all the help! The interview is relatively soon (30th April) but if you have any slots I’d really appreciate a mock interview!

Hello mate.

Ring the Get Into Teaching number on 0800 389 2500 and explain the situation and when the interview is and they will direct you to an adviser urgently, where they will go through a mock interview with you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending