dayumz
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Okay so I've been under the pressure alone of law at uni. Confused af as to how exactly things work out in terms of getting a job. Heard a million things and read a million things - I just want a simple step by step.

Going into my 3rd and final year in September. I THINK I want to be a solicitor. Summer schemes this year didn't go ahead because of the virus so even though I was too late it didn't matter anyway.

To my understanding, after I graduate I would have to do an LPC then a training scheme with a firm?

Also was thinking of doing a masters then going international to work in a different country (US/Canada) so yeah nothing is made up and I am terrible at deciding things in general. How does it work please???

I am averaging a 2:1/1st class so far in terms of my grades but my uni isn't even Russell Group. Haven't really done any experience outside of uni apart from going to a few trials. Thought I wanted to be a barrister but decided it's less stable and not as much money as a solicitor
Last edited by dayumz; 2 months ago
Amyljax
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You’ll need to do your LPC and then a 2 year training contract to qualify.
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 2 months ago
not sure what you mean that you're confused in terms of getting a job. you're confused on how to get a job or you're confused on how to qualify as a solicitor?

you don't need a vacation scheme to become a solicitor; you need work experience (more than likely) or at least something that sets you apart from the plethora of other candidates with 2:1/1st class degrees. i realise that's not possible under lockdown and probably not straight afterwards. if i were you tho, i'd still apply to any entry level legal position you can this summer and keep it into third year. it's not completely impossible; i have a good friend who did that.

you will most likely have to do the LPC even tho there's talk of the new SQE but no one knows for sure when that will be introduced.

where will you do this masters degree? do you have US or Canadian citizenship to work over there or do you need to think about immigration rules?

you don't need an RG degree to get a training contract; i can name 4 people who do not have one and has a TC. your problem is that your resume is empty besides watching a few trials, which doesn't qualify as 'legal experience' when you apply for work. if you want to build your resume, you could also look at volunteering or working at a charitable organisation like Citizens Advice or Shelter, or volunteering at court (it's not legal experience, but it's adjacent).
Last edited by Joleee; 2 months ago
dayumz
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Joleee)
not sure what you mean that you're confused in terms of getting a job. you're confused on how to get a job or you're confused on how to qualify as a solicitor?

you don't need a vacation scheme to become a solicitor; you need work experience (more than likely) or at least something that sets you apart from the plethora of other candidates with 2:1/1st class degrees. i realise that's not possible under lockdown and probably not straight afterwards. if i were you tho, i'd still apply to any entry level legal position you can this summer and keep it into third year. it's not completely impossible; i have a good friend who did that.

you will most likely have to do the LPC even tho there's talk of the new SQE but no one knows for sure when that will be introduced.

where will you do this masters degree? do you have US or Canadian citizenship to work over there or do you need to think about immigration rules?

you don't need an RG degree to get a training contract; i can name 4 people who do not have one and has a TC. your problem is that your resume is empty besides watching a few trials, which doesn't qualify as 'legal experience' when you apply for work. if you want to build your resume, you could also look at volunteering or working at a charitable organisation like Citizens Advice or Shelter, or volunteering at court (it's not legal experience, but it's adjacent).
Confused about getting a job post-grad in general. I've been researching all today and I've made a list of a load of firms that I'm going to apply directly for training contracts for.

I initially planned to do the masters in the same uni as right now but yeah I would need to think about immigration rules.

You're right about my resume. It's empty as ever. The situation rn isn't the best either. I can try doing stuff in the winter if I can, but I have done voluntary work in the past, in both hospitals and charity shops.

What kind of entry level legal positions were you referring to?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (24)
8.96%
Confident (32)
11.94%
Indifferent (46)
17.16%
Unsure (70)
26.12%
Worried (96)
35.82%

Watched Threads