Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi
My med school wanna start the new yr in July. How realistic is this? And is it fair?
Anonymous #2
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi
My med school wanna start the new yr in July. How realistic is this? And is it fair?
That's so, so unfair. You need to email and tell them how unfair this is for you; how dare they?!
Ceryni
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I.... don’t know if the post above me is sarcastic, or if I’m like missing something. But is there any particular reason that this is unfair or unrealistic?

Plenty of med schools usually start terms in early-mid August, and I know Year 5 students in HYMS usually start around the 3rd week in July, so it’s not really unprecedented even before the pandemic. Plus given the circumstances, I’m sure many med schools are under a fair amount of pressure to ensure sufficient time for essential modules and placements is still budgeted for without having to delay future cohorts of students being held back.

Not saying it doesn’t suck, sure everyone would rather have a long summer holiday - but I think given the limits of time and what needs to be completed throughout med school, it’s probably a more amenable alternative for most than placements over Xmas holidays or extending the course altogether.
RusticSeapig
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
This is completely fair in my opinion. You have a certain amount of content/placement hours to get through, and there is a minimum set by the GMC, so what else do you expect them to do?
tristar
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Seems like a very fair option, you’ve got plenty of notice given it’s only April now. Surely it’s better start the year early than extend the whole course beyond 5years as either way you have to cover a certain number of hours as per GMC?
MKaur18
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi
When are you meant to start? Is this school in the UK?
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi
Why is this a problem? The forum doesn't work via telepathy so you need to provide us with some background and context
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Yeah its in the UK. We are meant to start in Sept like normal but due to COVID19 they said they wanna start in July instead. 11 months of term time!
student2345
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Don’t think it’s unreasonable at all, you’ve got to consider they’ve got criteria set for placement time etc they have to evidence. However, the first term is ridiculously long(for our med school anyway), I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask if there is a possibility for a break at some stage in the term.
MiniZidane
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
How will it start in July given the current situation? There is talks of social distancing taking place till there's a vaccine?
Ceryni
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Yeah its in the UK. We are meant to start in Sept like normal but due to COVID19 they said they wanna start in July instead. 11 months of term time!
I’m guessing you’re in pre-clinical years maybe? Just because 10/11 months of term-time is pretty normal for 4th/5th years in many unis. I don’t imagine there would be much recourse to bring to any year reps or the BMA, and like others have said, but if anything then maybe pushing the idea of a short mid-term break would be a reasonable plan.
jzdzm
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
If you're missing a few months of teaching right now, starting in July sounds like quite a good idea to me? I get some people may have summer holiday plans etc, but it will make things much easier later on if you have proper teaching on the stuff you've missed.

On the other hand, it is possible we'll still be in some form of lockdown... but then you wouldn't get your summer holiday anyway.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
So ... normal at many med schools? My fourth year was 15 months with 2 weeks at christmas and 2 weeks at Easter only - and that's without coronavirus!

Yeah seems fair to me in the circumstance.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Surely getting your money's worth of teaching, in a subject that is extremely expensive to teach and you are already learning at a greatly discounted rate, is a good thing? You're pretty much ripping off the university there, take advantage of it!
Anonymous #3
Report 8 months ago
It sounds Fair enough but they should consider students may need support from student finance due to the longer term time, and also bear in mind that they are experiencing delays in processing applications due to COVID-19. Also, what about travel restrictions for international students coming into the UK? Moving into accommodation may also be trickier.
Anonymous #3
Report 8 months ago
Also, unless financially blessed, students do rely on summer jobs to fund living costs. Communicate your concerns to your med school but i guess ultimately the decision is up to them!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (285)
56.21%
I don't have everything I need (222)
43.79%

Watched Threads