I just got diagnosed with BPD AMA

Watch
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Iforgetiwasbored)
In my experience people with BPD are very toxic and life destroying. I didn't think you could get cured? you only treat your symptoms.
In my experience people with BPD can choose to be 'toxic and life distroying' but equally 'normal people' can choose to be 'toxic and life distroying' as well.

There is nothing about BPD per se that makes someone 'bad'. A minority of suffers who have it the most severely may (not by choice) apear to be 'toxic and life distroying', but this would be very much a result of their illness opposed to them.
Last edited by glassalice; 3 weeks ago
Anonymous #3
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by FutureMissMRCS)
I did what you did, pushed on - for a very long time. Then my symptoms got even worse. But my friend kept supporting me and pushing me to get help and I only got my BPD diagnosis because of how persistent she was about me getting the right help. Don't let the symptoms manifest into something worse by leaving it untreated. So please go back to your GP and be persistent with getting help. It's worth trying to ask for a referral.
Thank you for your understanding, I’m moving back home to live with my family so I’ll sign up to a doctors there and hopefully get help there. Whatever the issue is I’d like to know and it’s unlikely the GP can help if it isn’t depression or anxiety. It may not be bpd it could be something else but whatever it is it would be helpful to know! I hope you’re okay
Iforgetiwasbored
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you for your pleasant compliment. Please go educate yourself.
Not really, I said in my experience which was true. Then I asked a question. You don't have to like my shared experience. I am asking the question about treatment. Someone with BPD did in effect help ruin my life. I asked a question. I also have cousin who has it and 'he' is very malicious. My experiences have been toxic.

Like narcissistic, antisocial and other personalities if not treated are also very toxic personalities you can't deny that. it is a fact. When you look up what BDP means it can cause harm not just to people with BDP but others around them.
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Not really, I said in my experience which was true. Then I asked a question. You don't have to like my shared experience. I am asking the question about treatment. Someone with BPD did in effect help ruin my life. I asked a question. I also have cousin who has it and 'he' is very malicious. My experiences have been toxic.

Like narcissistic, antisocial and other personalities if not treated are also very toxic personalities you can't deny that. it is a fact. When you look up what BDP means it can cause harm not just to people with BDP but others around them.
Your question is an interesting one actually. And there is no clear answer.
Until recently, BPD was officially considered to be life long/ incurable in the same way that a learning disability or autism is.
This is no longer the case.
Many people do recover in the sence that they no longer meet the diagnostic criteria for it.

However, the people that 'recover' clinically as a whole still have very poor 'functional outcomes'. So rates of poverty are very high, rates of full time employment are very low.

And, despite being 'recovered' most of these people will report enduring social/ relationship difficulties.

Personality disorders effect the following aspects of a person mood, impulse control, interpersonal functioning and cognition

So really when you talk about a clinical recovery from BPD you are actually talking about symptoms in relation to mood and impulse control remitting not interpersonal functioning and some aspects of cognition.

Is that really a recovery?
Last edited by glassalice; 3 weeks ago
Iforgetiwasbored
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I would not call that recovery. I also think they must have predisposition to be BPD like stress and PTSD.
Anonymous #4
Report 2 weeks ago
No, I'm talking about studies looking at BPD in twins not parent vs child.
Twins are brought up in the same environment... That makes it even harder to determine whether it's nature or nurture
Anonymous #4
Report 2 weeks ago
In my experience people with BPD are very toxic and life destroying. I didn't think you could get cured? you only treat your symptoms.

I think relationships with people with BPD can be really difficult, they can be toxic - but they can also not be.

Some of my closest friends have BPD and my friendships with them are the ones I value the most (just ime - not trying to invalidate your experiences in the slightest)
Fejo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi. I am a student. I was dignosed with BPD 2weeks ago. Does anyone if there is support forBPD students/
Fejo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (65)
19.35%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (72)
21.43%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (62)
18.45%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (70)
20.83%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (34)
10.12%
I haven't started researching yet (33)
9.82%

Watched Threads