The Student Room Group

UCL Speech and language science?

Hello, if you do the Speech and language science masters in UCL will you be able to become a qualified speech therapist? Is it the same as doing masters in speech therapy and becoming a therapist? Whats the difference between speech and language science and speech and language therapy..?
Yes if you study MSc Speech and Language Sciences at UCL it qualifies you as a Speech and Language Therapist. The course is just called 'Speech and Language Sciences', it has different names at different universities but it leads to qualification to practice as an SLT and includes necessary placements etc. However, don't confuse it with the other Master courses they offer e.g. MSc Language Sciences (Speech Sciences) because they are academic courses without the clinical element that will qualify you as a therapist.
Reply 2
Original post by rainbowworld
Yes if you study MSc Speech and Language Sciences at UCL it qualifies you as a Speech and Language Therapist. The course is just called 'Speech and Language Sciences', it has different names at different universities but it leads to qualification to practice as an SLT and includes necessary placements etc. However, don't confuse it with the other Master courses they offer e.g. MSc Language Sciences (Speech Sciences) because they are academic courses without the clinical element that will qualify you as a therapist.

Thank you so much
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you so much

No problem. If you have any further questions about the course at UCL just get in touch because I graduated from it last year.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you so much

No problem. If you have any further questions about the course at UCL just get in touch because I graduated from it last year.

Hi rainbowworld,

did you enjoy the course? How challenging did you find it? did you enjoy the placements? Did most of your cohort find it easy to find a job afterwards? :smile:
Original post by Bazingal
Hi rainbowworld,

did you enjoy the course? How challenging did you find it? did you enjoy the placements? Did most of your cohort find it easy to find a job afterwards? :smile:

Hi :smile:

Yes I did really enjoy the course. I was mainly interested in paediatrics so I would say I didn’t enjoy some of the topics in the 2nd year (adults) quite as much, but it was a good course with great lecturers.

It is a very academically demanding course. It’s doable, but it is demanding. You have to work at Master's levels but it is also almost full time. You have one day a week for study but I usually had work to complete at the weekend. I guess that depends to a degree how quickly you work etc. though, I can be quite slow and a bit of a perfectionist. They tell you you can’t do it and have a job. I worked one day a week through 2/3rds if the course and managed but it was harder for people who also worked part time. You are also on placement for a large amount of time.

I enjoyed most of my placements. They can be a bit hit and miss, but that’s the same anywhere. Luckily I had quite a lot of experience before hand (SLT assistant previously) so had experienced working in different areas.

On the whole I would say yes, it wasn’t too bad finding a job. I think it depends where you want to live afterwards and also what area you want to go into. There were definitely more paediatric jobs and people looking for adult jobs found it slightly harder but seemed to get jobs in the end.

Hope that helps.
Hi :smile:

Yes I did really enjoy the course. I was mainly interested in paediatrics so I would say I didn’t enjoy some of the topics in the 2nd year (adults) quite as much, but it was a good course with great lecturers.

It is a very academically demanding course. It’s doable, but it is demanding. You have to work at Master's levels but it is also almost full time. You have one day a week for study but I usually had work to complete at the weekend. I guess that depends to a degree how quickly you work etc. though, I can be quite slow and a bit of a perfectionist. They tell you you can’t do it and have a job. I worked one day a week through 2/3rds if the course and managed but it was harder for people who also worked part time. You are also on placement for a large amount of time.

I enjoyed most of my placements. They can be a bit hit and miss, but that’s the same anywhere. Luckily I had quite a lot of experience before hand (SLT assistant previously) so had experienced working in different areas.

On the whole I would say yes, it wasn’t too bad finding a job. I think it depends where you want to live afterwards and also what area you want to go into. There were definitely more paediatric jobs and people looking for adult jobs found it slightly harder but seemed to get jobs in the end.

Hope that helps.

Hi @rainbowworld! I was wondering how much experience you had before getting your UCL offer? Did you apply straight from your undergrad? Looking to apply at the end of this calendar year. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest