spicedapples
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have chosen biology and physics so far - I can do 4. I would like to do medicine but I'm not going to do chemistry. I don't know about the other 2 options - I was thinking classics and something else.
I was also going to take maths but my parent straight up refuse to let me any ideas?

(Extra:
My GCSE grades are all at least a 6 with
English Lit: 9
English language: 9
Maths:7
History:8
Art:6
Statistics: 7
Biology: 8
Chemistry:6
Physics:7
French: 7

I would like to be able to study astrophysics but i cant do a-level maths so that's ok - maybe neuroscience or pathology)
username5042652
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Chemistry is mandatory for a lot of unis for medicine. And they often want either maths or physics, so at least you’re doing physics, though part of a level maths overlaps with physics making it a bit easier, and another large part is statistics.
Mona123456
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by spicedapples)
I have chosen biology and physics so far - I can do 4. I would like to do medicine but I'm not going to do chemistry. I don't know about the other 2 options - I was thinking classics and something else.
I was also going to take maths but my parent straight up refuse to let me any ideas?

(Extra:
My GCSE grades are all at least a 6 with
English Lit: 9
English language: 9
Maths:7
History:8
Art:6
Statistics: 7
Biology: 8
Chemistry:6
Physics:7
French: 7

I would like to be able to study astrophysics but i cant do a-level maths so that's ok - maybe neuroscience or pathology)
If you’d like to study Medicine at Uni, you’ll need to take Chemistry.

It’s a balance between picking subjects that you enjoy, picking subjects you’re good at and picking subjects that will open doors for you. If you want to keep your option open for Medicine and Physics, I’d suggest Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry. Perhaps you could swap one or two of those for English and/or History though, as you seem to be good at them. Whatever you pick, make sure you really enjoy the subjects and are willing to work hard at them
kissa_kig
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
if you don't pick chemistry then you would have to apply to do medicine with a foundation year - which is harder to get into and not offered at all medical schools. you should reconsider doing maths a-level as it would be helpful for both medicine and astrophysics ( since maths + physics alevel are usually needed )
spicedapples
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mona123456)
If you’d like to study Medicine at Uni, you’ll need to take Chemistry.

It’s a balance between picking subjects that you enjoy, picking subjects you’re good at and picking subjects that will open doors for you. If you want to keep your option open for Medicine and Physics, I’d suggest Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry. Perhaps you could swap one or two of those for English and/or History though, as you seem to be good at them. Whatever you pick, make sure you really enjoy the subjects and are willing to work hard at them
I can go to medical school without chemistry (not all but a few) but I know I wouldn't get the grade in chemistry I needed to be accepted anyway. As long as I've got biology and one other science, the ones closer to me are ok.
𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why dont your parents want you to take maths a'level? If your maths is a grade 7 then thats great, you need that to do a'level maths. My daughter is doing physics, particle physics and cosmology because she loves astro and particle. To do any type of astrophysics you need maths. Leicester do physics and astrophysics at AAB for masters, ABB for Bachelors, so if you think you can aim for a B grade in maths, then its worth going for.

Hull is C grade as well, Or you could have a uni that is grade lenient which also helps
Last edited by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂; 1 year ago
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I can go to medical school without chemistry (not all but a few) but I know I wouldn't get the grade in chemistry I needed to be accepted anyway. As long as I've got biology and one other science, the ones closer to me are ok.
no you can't.

and if you can't cope with A level Chemistry you won't be able to cope with a Medicine degree which is a million times harder.
username5232810
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
no you can't.

and if you can't cope with A level Chemistry you won't be able to cope with a Medicine degree which is a million times harder.
yeah this is true.

You should really consider why every decent med school requires chem. You’ll need it for the course. I think you’ll have to make the decision between doing medicine and taking chem or picking a different career.
Bear in mind, even if a med school say they don’t need Chem, there’s not much chance you’ll get in without it. Medicine is competitive enough as it is, even if you do have the required subjects.
spicedapples
Rep:
?
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
no you can't.

I can cope with chemistry A-level I jsut prefer biology. You do not have to have chemistry for medicine- the university I want to go doesnt require chemistry but does require biology.
spicedapples
Rep:
?
(Original post by username5232810)
yeah this is true.

You should really consider why every decent med school requires chem. You’ll need it for the course. I think you’ll have to make the decision between doing medicine and taking chem or picking a different career.
Bear in mind, even if a med school say they don’t need Chem, there’s not much chance you’ll get in without it. Medicine is competitive enough as it is, even if you do have the required subjects.
If I take chemistry and physics without biology would that still be om
username3539714
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I can cope with chemistry A-level I jsut prefer biology. You do not have to have chemistry for medicine- the university I want to go doesnt require chemistry but does require biology.
Yes but medicine is a very competitive course and a majority of applicants will still have A Level Chemistry. I highly recommend picking Chemistry which is more important than Physics for the course you're wanting to do
username5042652
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AM_TSR)
Yes but medicine is a very competitive course and a majority of applicants will still have A Level Chemistry. I highly recommend picking Chemistry which is more important than Physics for the course you're wanting to do
Totally agree. If you don’t want to do chemistry at A level you will be behind your class at uni and also will find a lot of medicine very boring if you don’t like chemistry. Honestly it sounds like you must be applying to the bad medical schools if you don’t need chem, so have you maybe considered trying graduate entry? It’s more competitive but you will have a degree to fall back on if it doesn’t pan out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.54%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
15.08%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.86%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (36)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (67)
26.59%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.65%

Watched Threads