The Student Room Group

I really really want to publish my book?

I have been sitting on my finished book. Had the idea for ages, wrote it and rewrote it over the years, now it's finished.
But,
How the hell do I publish the thing? Which publishes to use? How do I get there attention? I cant afford an agent etc.

But I know my book is amazing and a goldmine if only I can get it passed the publisher into mainstream sales.
Just approach different publishers, do a bit of online research and see if you can find a publisher that suits you and just email them, perhaps you can self publish on amazon in the meantime. A publisher will help generate sales though
whats the book about?
If you can't afford an agent, you're not getting a big publisher on side. They won't take applications without an agent.

Amazon self publishing is easy - and free - but then the advertising is all on you, and most books sell fewer than 100 copies no matter how good they are.

You could use a smaller publisher of course, but even many of those would need an agent.

A lot of agents would take commission rather than an upfront payment, so that could be an option.

I work as a professional editor and proofreader so know a little about the state of the industry at the moment - it's difficult!
Reply 4
Original post by NathanAtro3
whats the book about?

It's a fantasy horror. Stephen King type book.
About elf type looking creatures in planes stalking this guy (main character).

It sounds nuts but it is fantasy horror, very well written and it really pulls the reader in.
Reply 5
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
If you can't afford an agent, you're not getting a big publisher on side. They won't take applications without an agent.

Amazon self publishing is easy - and free - but then the advertising is all on you, and most books sell fewer than 100 copies no matter how good they are.

You could use a smaller publisher of course, but even many of those would need an agent.

A lot of agents would take commission rather than an upfront payment, so that could be an option.

I work as a professional editor and proofreader so know a little about the state of the industry at the moment - it's difficult!

How much does a editor and proofreader cost?. Because I might need one of those too.
Original post by Jacinlj
How much does a editor and proofreader cost?. Because I might need one of those too.

They vary. It depends on how long your manuscript is, how much work needs to be done, and exactly what you want them to cover. For example, a proofreader doing a spelling and grammar check is going to cost much less than someone who will pull your story apart and rewrite bits.

Personally, my base rate is £1/500 words. That would cover a final read through for a piece that has already been heavily edited, and through several pairs of eyes. For good writers, occasionally this service is enough on its own.

The rate will go up if it looks like it'll need more work, if it hasn't already been professionally edited, or sometimes if the writer has no experience to show me.

I charge anything between £1/500 words to £10/500 words for the most heavily edited piece. Although, I don't really enjoy heavy editing, so I rarely take on work that requires that level of detail. It's often foreign writers where the English needs to be completely rewritten.
Original post by Jacinlj
I have been sitting on my finished book. Had the idea for ages, wrote it and rewrote it over the years, now it's finished.
But,
How the hell do I publish the thing? Which publishes to use? How do I get there attention? I cant afford an agent etc.

But I know my book is amazing and a goldmine if only I can get it passed the publisher into mainstream sales.

tried to message you but your private messages are blocked.. send me a message :smile:
You will need an agent. Most publishers don't accept unsolicited submissions. Find works in your genre that you liked and see if you can find out who the author's agents were.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending