JustASeeker
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi, I'm going to complete this year my medical studies in Spain. Lately I've been considering moving to UK and applying for FY1. I've been trying to get as much information as possible about the process although I don't think I'm getting it straight sincerely since it's quite different from the selection process here in Spain.
As far as I understood, I think i have to send a bunch of certificates to register in the GMC, but when I'm already registered is there any other test to take to access FY1?
I also read something about a SJT test, is it the test I have to take before entering FY1 or in order to access a specialty?
If I manage to get everything straight and register for the FY1, do I have to then proceed to look for an FY1 job or is it somehow assigned? I know this question is kinda strange but at least in Spain it's the government that gives you the job directly and I'm quite new to this system.
Also, as a general question, how's the training programme? Are you satisfied with it?
Thank you very much in advance.
HHaricot
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by JustASeeker)
Hi, I'm going to complete this year my medical studies in Spain. Lately I've been considering moving to UK and applying for FY1. I've been trying to get as much information as possible about the process although I don't think I'm getting it straight sincerely since it's quite different from the selection process here in Spain.
As far as I understood, I think i have to send a bunch of certificates to register in the GMC, but when I'm already registered is there any other test to take to access FY1?
I also read something about a SJT test, is it the test I have to take before entering FY1 or in order to access a specialty?
If I manage to get everything straight and register for the FY1, do I have to then proceed to look for an FY1 job or is it somehow assigned? I know this question is kinda strange but at least in Spain it's the government that gives you the job directly and I'm quite new to this system.
Also, as a general question, how's the training programme? Are you satisfied with it?
You need to look at the UKFPO website, which pretty much answers all of this. You would normally be applying in July for the eligibility route - you need IELTS for this unless UK citizen i think. As part of the application process you do need to sit the SJT, and you do need to send documents through to GMC. Applying this July would give you a post if successful in august 2021.
However, most Spanish graduates get given a full licence by the GMC which makes you ineligible for the two year foundation programme [you can only start with a provisional licence]
So the best bet is to do one of the very many trust doctor posts pegged as F1 equivalent - and can start them this year in august. Then apply for the F2 standalone process for a foundation training F2 post august 2021. Then in a much better place to apply for speciality training. Hope that helps!
jzdzm
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi,

There's a few past threads that might be useful for you:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...d%20alone%20f2

If you don't mind sharing, why are you thinking about coming to the UK? I'm a current student in the UK, but am considering speciality training in Spain when the time comes (after completing F1 and F2 here, then I'd probably take a gap year and sit the MIR, assuming that Brexit doesn't mean my degree is invalid). I'd like to know the down sides!
JustASeeker
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by HHaricot)
You need to look at the UKFPO website, which pretty much answers all of this. You would normally be applying in July for the eligibility route - you need IELTS for this unless UK citizen i think. As part of the application process you do need to sit the SJT, and you do need to send documents through to GMC. Applying this July would give you a post if successful in august 2021.
However, most Spanish graduates get given a full licence by the GMC which makes you ineligible for the two year foundation programme [you can only start with a provisional licence]
So the best bet is to do one of the very many trust doctor posts pegged as F1 equivalent - and can start them this year in august. Then apply for the F2 standalone process for a foundation training F2 post august 2021. Then in a much better place to apply for speciality training. Hope that helps!
Yes I checked the UKFPO website and it seems I get a Full Licence, therefore I should try to fill in a job for a year to gain experience and then try to get an F2 standalone right? Is this route more difficult or something? I mean, to get the F2 standalone seems quite like applying to the complete FP but without a year, I dont really see any difference at least that's what it looks like. So I would like to know if possible if u have any recommendation for this new endeavor. Thank you!
JustASeeker
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by jzdzm)
Hi,

There's a few past threads that might be useful for you:

If you don't mind sharing, why are you thinking about coming to the UK? I'm a current student in the UK, but am considering speciality training in Spain when the time comes (after completing F1 and F2 here, then I'd probably take a gap year and sit the MIR, assuming that Brexit doesn't mean my degree is invalid). I'd like to know the down sides!
Well, first of all I highly doubt your degree would get invalidated due to Brexit.
Later, well, I sincerely want to leave because internship here isn't quite up to my standards, the conditions are subpar. Actually in Madrid the Interns are on strike because of the conditions they are forced to work in. Let me put some examples. Your base salary would be around 1000€, so basically to have a nice salary you are forced to do a lot of extra shifts which are many times unsupervised. After a 24-hour shift you may not go home as expected because your boss might force you to stay and work the day, making it an outstanding 30-hour shift. This, believe it or not, will happen more often than not. Bosses tend to be not friendly and not quite welcoming or willing to teach. In general, it's not a quite pleasurable experience.
At least im talking about my experience in Madrid and what Iv've heard from other friends and colleagues, maybe outside of Madrid this is better, but at least in Madrid the conditions are not at all good. If u want to move to Spain I wouldn't quite recommend Madrid as you can see hahaha.
Thank you for the posts! They were quite helpful, it seems i should look for a job that acts like my F1 since I get Full Registration. Do you know how competitive is the access to F2 Standalone and all that?
HHaricot
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes I checked the UKFPO website and it seems I get a Full Licence, therefore I should try to fill in a job for a year to gain experience and then try to get an F2 standalone right? Is this route more difficult or something? I mean, to get the F2 standalone seems quite like applying to the complete FP but without a year, I dont really see any difference at least that's what it looks like. So I would like to know if possible if u have any recommendation for this new endeavor. Thank you!
You will need to spend some time in between graduation and application for core or specialty training doing some nhs posts to make you competitive. I think that a trust post now and then apply for both the standalone foundation in early spring next year for f2 or ‘more interesting’ clinical fellow posts for a second year before core/run through training is likely to be successful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (210)
38.53%
Take autumn exams (164)
30.09%
Look for a job (19)
3.49%
Consider an apprenticeship (22)
4.04%
Take a year out (97)
17.8%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (33)
6.06%

Watched Threads