The Student Room Group

I am going to get rubbish predicted grades but want to do law

I'm in year 12 and am so, so sad. I feel like my life is over before it has began. My negligence, caused by pure laziness throughout the year, has lead to me being the stupid one of the class, the burden of the teacher.

My predicted grades are CEE. They will probably change to CCC to make the school look better. My mocks, which were supposed to determine my predicted grades, will most likely not happen so my predicted grades remain as they are: Awful, pathetic.

I was unmotivated throughout the year to do work but only recently I had the relevation that this would most likely affect my predicted grades aswell, so I started putting more effort in during February. I do biology, chemistry and english literature and have definitely improved in biology, getting 2 Bs in the end of topic tests we have done. For chemistry we only had one end of topic test, and I got a C, which is a great improvement from an E. I cannot improve in english due to my teacher refusing to help me.

I'm scared. I know I'm capable of much more but my teachers definitely don't think so. What can I do to amend this? If I could predict my A level grades, they would be:

Chemistry: B
Biology: A
English literature: A

I cannot afford to resit year 12. It would kill me. Help.
Original post by InJailOutSoon
I'm in year 12 and am so, so sad. I feel like my life is over before it has began. My negligence, caused by pure laziness throughout the year, has lead to me being the stupid one of the class, the burden of the teacher.

My predicted grades are CEE. They will probably change to CCC to make the school look better. My mocks, which were supposed to determine my predicted grades, will most likely not happen so my predicted grades remain as they are: Awful, pathetic.

I was unmotivated throughout the year to do work but only recently I had the relevation that this would most likely affect my predicted grades aswell, so I started putting more effort in during February. I do biology, chemistry and english literature and have definitely improved in biology, getting 2 Bs in the end of topic tests we have done. For chemistry we only had one end of topic test, and I got a C, which is a great improvement from an E. I cannot improve in english due to my teacher refusing to help me.

I'm scared. I know I'm capable of much more but my teachers definitely don't think so. What can I do to amend this? If I could predict my A level grades, they would be:

You are overly dramatic.
Redoing year 12 would kill you? Really?

If you dont wish to redo y12, work hard and just get the actual grades you need, then go to uni the following year.
No need to be rude, if the user doesn't want to take a gap year that's understandable^^.

There's always adjustment tbh, if you overachieve adjustment should be open in 2021.

If you believe you could've done better for your end of year exams, ask your teachers to do an online mock or mocks as soon as school reopens.
You’ve still got time to pull it out of the bag. U don’t have to apply to uni for 9 months so that’s 9 months to prove to ur teachers that u deserve better and are capable of that. But you do actually have to do the work, there’s no other magic cure
Reply 4
Right so I'm in year 13 and I'm going to do law too and I'm telling you now these will not be your final predicted grades. At the end of year 12 in the mocks I got BDD and was predicted ACC. In October when we started UCAS I was predicted BBC. I even had a meeting with the head of sixth form who suggested I change my uni choices because it was likely I would get no offers. I spoke to my teachers who were reluctant to change them again and again, I gave them extra work and promised I would do better and on the day the school sent off my application they were changed to AAB. This was in December. I got an offer from 4/5 of my unis for law and 1 for English. At your stage I had the same panic but looking back on it the panic was pointless. You have so much time I'm telling you now. Just keep your head down and study. Extra work and essays help your grade so much: they show the teachers you're dedicated and you get feedback so you can improve. But yeah, at least you picked up on your mistakes quite early on, you genuinely have time to turn things around.
(edited 4 years ago)

Ahh i had students like yourself in my classes, the class clown.. I hope from now you try your best in every class, no matter how little you think a piece of work is worth.
Now to the point, try to email your teachers and ask them if they could possibly set you more work to do, and take into consideration the marks you get on them. Teachers are hard to convince but maybe if they're feeling nice. Tell them how you feel, from experience, I don't think your teachers believe you're incapable, in fact, they probably want to see you do the best you can. Give them a shout and see what they say.

Are you still being set work? you could try extra hard on these also to show you're determined.
Reply 6
To be honest,

My negligence, caused by pure laziness throughout the year
I was unmotivated throughout the year to do work

To be honest, these two quotes do suggest that maybe law isn't for you. Whilst of course I recognise that many people may have extenuating circumstances causing them not to work as hard as they could do, and not get the grades that they are capable of as well as your improvement in Biology and Chemistry, Law at university is hard work. It requires a lot of reading and a lot of writing and there are some days where you just spend hours and hours and hours in the library taking notes. If you are unmotivated to work and by your own admission are lazy then perhaps law may not be right for you. I would recommend a reconsider if this is your typical attitude towards work.

However it is good that you admit your mistakes and are showing genuine improvement. If you do continue to work hard, then definitely apply for law programmes. I doubt you would be predicted CCC, and from my own experience I have had my predicted grades inflated by at least one grade per subject in order to make a stronger UCAS application, although this must be coupled with even harder work. Which means even if you get predicted CCC, upon discussion with a head of years, or equivalent, and so on you could get that up to BBB quite easily. Plenty of Unis will take you for law with BBB, Essex for example.

Here's the bottom line, keep working hard and you'll probably be fine. If I can echo previous responders, YOU HAVE TIME, do not squander it and I am sure you can succeed :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest