Would Lancaster University accept an undergrad after completing A2M?

Watch
RC1992
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hello,
I have reached the stage of my life where i am now secure. I am 28, i have a wife and 3 children and i have finally got the courage to chase my dream of becoming a Doctor.
I know lots of active Doctors who have all said i would be great.

My question is: I have no degree, but i want to complete the Access to Medicine course and it would be absolutely brilliant if the Open University or somewhere provided it as distant learning. Does anybody know if Access to Medicine courses can be distant?
AND
Would Lancaster University accept an Access to Medicine course? (It would have to be Lancaster for my family life - not to mention the fact i thrive on PBL)

Any help is much appreciated.
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by RC1992)
Hello,
I have reached the stage of my life where i am now secure. I am 28, i have a wife and 3 children and i have finally got the courage to chase my dream of becoming a Doctor.

My question is: I have no degree, but i want to complete the Access to Medicine course and it would be absolutely brilliant if the Open University or somewhere provided it as distant learning. Does anybody know if Access to Medicine courses can be distant?
AND
Would Lancaster University accept an Access to Medicine course? (It would have to be Lancaster for my family life - not to mention the fact i thrive on PBL)

A med school's website is always a good place to start when looking for this sort of information (took me <2 minutes)
https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/media/la...s2020entry.pdf

This tell syou what is accepted and then you can reseasrch those courses to see how they are taught.
If you still have questions then Admissions at Lancaster are probably the next place to go
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by RC1992)
Hello,

AND

Hi RC1992,

I think it's wonderful that you're chasing your dreams now! It doesn't matter what stage of life you're at, if you've got the determination to do Medicine then go for it. There are many mature students on our course and I personally know a few peers who have very similar backgrounds to you.

Yes we accept Access to Medicine courses!

The best place to go is the Lancaster Medical School website page for entry requirements

but in your case the most relevant part is the PDF file called 'Access' which is on the link above but here's the link to the PDF anyway to save you time:

A100 Admission Guidelines for applicants offering non-traditional qualifications (Access courses) 2019-20

"The following Access to Higher Education qualifications are currently accepted:
 Access to HE Diploma (Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy and Medical Science at The Manchester College
 Access to HE Diploma (Medicine) at East Sussex College
 Access to HE Diploma (Medicine and Health Professionals) at Newcastle and Stafford Colleges Group
Open University modules are also accepted.

If you have completed an alternative Access qualification or Open University modules and would like to know if it
would be accepted for entry to A100, contact [email protected] for further advice.
Complete an approved Access to Medicine course and achieve distinction in 45 Level 3 credits.

The Level 3 components of the Access course will need to offer at least 15 Level 3 credits in Biology, 15 in Chemistry and 15 in at least one other subject and then if you read the PDF you'll see there's certain GCSE requirements that you may need to meet (you need to have GCSE English, Maths and Science subjects but then you can have other BTEC qualifications)"

There's more information on the PDF so do have a read and contact the email address if you need further information.

In regards to doing a distance learning course - Open University modules are accepted but get in contact for further advice as suggested.

The application process follows four stages:

1) meet the GCSE requirements + Access to medicine course
if you meet these you'll move to stage 2

2) do the BMAT exam (an entrance test for medical schools - some medical schools do BMAT some do UKCAT, you'll need to do this in the summer / autumn of the year that you apply to medical school), you'll be ranked by your score and then the top proportion will be offered interviews

3) MMI interview (multiple mini interview - these are really fun in my opinion! it's a circuit of 10-12 stations and each station is timed usually around 5-10 minutes, you start at one station and work your way through them and each station an activity or a task which ultimately tests your skills or finds out if you're suited for a course in medicine, most medical schools do these type of interviews now rather than a panel interview which is like two people interviewing one person across a table)

4) you'll be offered a place if you do well in the interview! and then you'll just need to fill in the documents for fitness to practice etc DBS checks and stuff

Lancaster welcomes applicants from all walks of life - so definitely try, hope that helps!

Let me know if there's anything more I can talk through. Stay safe.

Best wishes,
Sukhy
4th Year Lancaster Medical Student
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Also, here are some links to inspirational stories of individuals who decided they wanted a career change and went back to education at Lancaster: (click on the blue headings to be directed to the webpages)

Jamie Harrison became a doctor after working as a healthcare assistant
'...When he returned, he became a Healthcare Assistant in a GP practice in Oldham in Greater Manchester. He switched to working part-time and returned to college to re-sit his GCSEs and then complete an Access to Medicine course. “It was challenging in its own way - returning to education as an adult can be difficult. You have to readjust to living on less money, whilst juggling a working life, social life and find time to study.”'

Dean John became a doctor after working as a salesman
'... “I started reading Jo's books about the trials and tribulations of Junior Doctors, got myself an "Anatomy For Dummies" book from the library, learnt some memory techniques and realised that actually, this crazy idea of becoming a Doctor might well be doable.” '

And another very inspirational story is from Laura McManus who became a doctor after having a challenging upbringing
'...“Even when you feel the world is against you and that things can’t improve, you can overcome difficulties with the right sort of help.”'

Really great words from them all, I hope they inspire somebody who may read this post.

Happy to help anyone who has any queries. Take care.

Best wishes,
Sukhy
4th Year Lancaster Medical School
Last edited by Lancaster Student Ambassador; 5 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (129)
14.61%
I'm not sure (40)
4.53%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (265)
30.01%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.49%
I'm not a current university student (427)
48.36%

Watched Threads