The Student Room Group

Raised coloured bit around boobs

Why is the coloured bit around my nipples raised of my boobs. They are also really soft. Is this part of puberty?
When will this go away and the nipple is just raised
I'm almost 17 btw
Original post by Anonymous
Why is the coloured bit around my nipples raised of my boobs. They are also really soft. Is this part of puberty?
When will this go away and the nipple is just raised
I'm almost 17 btw

This is part of breast development rather than actual puberty. I differentiate between the two because female puberty typically finishes around age 14-15 whereas breasts can continue to develop into early 20's.
The coloured area around the nipples is called the areola (single) areolae (plural)
There is no way of knowing when the rest of your breasts will fill out to match the centre of your breasts under your areolae. It's different for every girl. It's also worth remembering that some girls breasts never do fully fill out to match their areolae, and although this isn't overly common, it doesn't mean there's anything wrong, it's simply the way their breasts have grown.
Reply 2
Original post by Appirition
This is part of breast development rather than actual puberty. I differentiate between the two because female puberty typically finishes around age 14-15 whereas breasts can continue to develop into early 20's.
The coloured area around the nipples is called the areola (single) areolae (plural)
There is no way of knowing when the rest of your breasts will fill out to match the centre of your breasts under your areolae. It's different for every girl. It's also worth remembering that some girls breasts never do fully fill out to match their areolae, and although this isn't overly common, it doesn't mean there's anything wrong, it's simply the way their breasts have grown.

I'm a B cup at the moment. I thought the puffiness just goes down didnt know the whole breast actually grows more to stretch the areolas out
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a B cup at the moment. I thought the puffiness just goes down didnt know the whole breast actually grows more to stretch the areolas out

Instead of thinking the puffiness goes down, think of it as the rest of the breast fills out to match the areolae.
Your breasts may fill out, or they may not. Your cup size may increase, or it may not. Either way it doesn't matter. At 17, you've still got 4-6 years before natural breast development stops and you'll know what size and shape your breasts are likely to largely remain as, that is without taking into account other factors such as weight change and pregnancy.

Quick Reply

Latest