The Student Room Group

Tips for studying when you're burnt out

I'm currently studying in preparation for taking up a Psychology course with OU. I suppose the current lockdown situation doesn't help, but I'm finding myself burning out, losing focus and concentration rather quickly throughout the day. I'll break it up but still find at a certain point in the day my motivation has gone completely - not just for studying but for anything productive in general.
Does anyone have any interesting tips to overcome this?
Original post by Shane_ism
I'm currently studying in preparation for taking up a Psychology course with OU. I suppose the current lockdown situation doesn't help, but I'm finding myself burning out, losing focus and concentration rather quickly throughout the day. I'll break it up but still find at a certain point in the day my motivation has gone completely - not just for studying but for anything productive in general.

Make your learning visual. What I mean is use a lot of flash cards and colourful sticky notes. Draw spider diagrams with colourful markers. Colour in pictures and diagrams. Look online to see different already made spider diagram. Shorten your notes into bullet points while listening to your favourite music.
Listen to the audio version of your book if possible. Watch YouTube. It helps with motivation. Good luck hun

Hi Shane_ism
I believe you have 2 issues:
Issue 1: You spend too much energy to focus on when studying. That's why you get sidetracked.
Issue 2: for whatever reason, you are in a phase where your body has a low level of energy: That's why you can't even do anything else.

Issue 1 You spend too much energy to focus when studying.

What is your strategy?
As usual, it always starts with right the mindset and approach:
Instead of tapping into your conscious focus, target unconscious focus.
TO begin with, you need to understand there are two types of focus: the first one corresponds to your conscious mind (The conscious focus = your will power) and the second corresponds to your unconscious mind (unconscious focus = where your internal distraction point). Your conscious mind and unconscious mind act as a team. Always start by making them agree together when trying to achieve any task you might consider difficult. Otherwise, you will feel a huge internal resistance because of inner conflict. That is why you find it hard to concentrate and get sidetrack.

Solution: Set your environment for unconscious focus: Use the Diagonal positioning technic (look at the picture as attached file)
(Have you ever wonder why we naturally tend to read in diagonal as soon as we open a page of any document?)

Before you start any task spend 1 or 2 min to program your brain by drawing an image of the topic,. Then put it on your left and visualize it for 1 min. The energy you spend drawing the image is far less than the energy you would spend fighting against internal distractions later.
The details go like this:

Step 1 handwrite your goal 3 times at least

Step 2 draw the first image that comes out from your mind about the topic you want to achieve

Step 3 put it on your left eye’s side

Step 4 look at this image (countdown internally until 70 )

Step 5 starts working on the activity. Put any development you do on your right side.

Issue 2: for whatever reason, you are in a phase where your body has a low level of energy.
Solution: Eating well, remove emotional loneliness, and reset your inner self.
Per level of difficulty crescendo:
a- Cook and eat fresh vegetables starting today for at least 3 days. (You will feel much more energized after day 2)
b- Call a friend or a family or an ex-girlfriend/ boyfriend you haven't met for a long time and have a long chat (You will see the result the next day)
C- take a cold shower (you will see the impact within the 3 hours)
D- go running. (You will see the result the next day)

Courage for your exam! you can still do it.
Reply 3

Maybe try to do stuff you enjoy in between working? Maybe go on a walk or some exercise as being inside all the time can dampen your mood.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending