Mollysh24
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I really want to study law at uni and so I thought an EPQ would help look good. I think I want to focus on criminal law & like miscarriages of justice / bad aspects of the law which allow me to scrutinise the law. I was thinking about indeterminate sentences but can’t think of how to word it. Could you help with that or give suggestions on other titles?

I really appreciate it thank you
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I moved your thread to a more relevant forum hopefully people with more knowledge will see this better
username3477548
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hmm not sure if i can be of any help, but im intersted to see what other people say....
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by vix.xvi)
hmm not sure if i can be of any help, but im intersted to see what other people say....
Me too XD
Greywolf.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Last edited by Greywolf.; 1 year ago
Greywolf.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mollysh24)
I really want to study law at uni and so I thought an EPQ would help look good. I think I want to focus on criminal law & like miscarriages of justice / bad aspects of the law which allow me to scrutinise the law. I was thinking about indeterminate sentences but can’t think of how to word it. Could you help with that or give suggestions on other titles?

I really appreciate it thank you
One idea would be to choose a case study, research it and then research the law surrounding the case and what laws you could apply to make sure that the case can be resolved justly and fairly. It would be a good demonstration of your abilities and at a very basic level that’s what solicitors do
Mollysh24
Rep:
?
(Original post by Greywolftwo)
One idea would be to choose a case study, research it and then research the law surrounding the case and what laws you could apply to make sure that the case can be resolved justly and fairly. It would be a good demonstration of your abilities and at a very basic level that’s what solicitors do
Thank you I didn’t think of that !!
Greywolf.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you I didn’t think of that !!
All good, that’s my idea anyways
Tinders
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am almost finished with my EPQ in Law. It's about terrorism prosecutions since 1997 and whether or not the government's policy towards terrorists treats them fairly under the HRA and counter to non-terrorist related prosecutions. Let me give you warning in advance, it's chuffing difficult and I found that I certainly had a lot more reading to do than others in my group and some of the texts I found are difficult to read as they are intended for individuals a bit more qualified than I am 😂.

If you want something on indeterminate sentences, the two main crimes there are of course rape and murder. You could word it something along the lines of 'to what extent has indefinite detention out lived its purpose?" "Are judges overusing indefinite detention?" "Is indefinite detention necessary?" "Should indefinite detention be outlined in statute law or should judges be given more freedom?" That sort of ilk.

If you want something on miscarriages of justice, have a look at the Birmingham Six and the Guildford 4.

But the best piece of advice I can give you, is to allow the research to dictate your question. Law is such a vast topic and you may find yourself having a very long question like I did in order to make a 5,000 word essay, and your essay title will probably change a lot throughout the course of your EPQ and don't be afraid to change it. If you have any questions feel free to PM me
Mollysh24
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tinders)
I am almost finished with my EPQ in Law. It's about terrorism prosecutions since 1997 and whether or not the government's policy towards terrorists treats them fairly under the HRA and counter to non-terrorist related prosecutions. Let me give you warning in advance, it's chuffing difficult and I found that I certainly had a lot more reading to do than others in my group and some of the texts I found are difficult to read as they are intended for individuals a bit more qualified than I am 😂.

If you want something on indeterminate sentences, the two main crimes there are of course rape and murder. You could word it something along the lines of 'to what extent has indefinite detention out lived its purpose?" "Are judges overusing indefinite detention?" "Is indefinite detention necessary?" "Should indefinite detention be outlined in statute law or should judges be given more freedom?" That sort of ilk.

If you want something on miscarriages of justice, have a look at the Birmingham Six and the Guildford 4.

But the best piece of advice I can give you, is to allow the research to dictate your question. Law is such a vast topic and you may find yourself having a very long question like I did in order to make a 5,000 word essay, and your essay title will probably change a lot throughout the course of your EPQ and don't be afraid to change it. If you have any questions feel free to PM me
Thank you that actually really useful. Would looking at sentences in general be too wide? Because I like the idea of looking at sentencing and prejudices and different types and if they’re used effectively
Tinders
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you that actually really useful. Would looking at sentences in general be too wide? Because I like the idea of looking at sentencing and prejudices and different types and if they’re used effectively
The best thing you could do is ask someone who works in law, ideally a barrister or even better a judge. I emailed an emeritus professor at the University of Leeds, who used to work as a solicitor, and I just so happen to know a QC so I spoke to him as well. I find that they are very helpful and the Leeds professor even gave me some very useful resources to look at.

I reckon with sentencing you've started to whittle it down there to something that would become usable. Start doing some preliminary research and thinking with regards to sentencing and see where you're taken. That's what I did. I started just by looking at prosecutions and from there found a few articles about terrorism prosecutions and their human rights implications and followed that path.

With sentencing you may find through some initial research that you evaluate the effectiveness of the death penalty and whether or not it should be used in the United Kingdom or you may find that you start researching sentences for summary offences and evaluating how well they reduce crime and reoffending rates that sort of thing. There are many paths you can take and you will find that your question changes a lot to either expand or constrict content. But most importantly let your research decide your question. Don't let your question decide your research.

Do you have any initial titles that you are thinking of?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (367)
84.17%
No (69)
15.83%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed