32.95%
I'm not English. (26)
29.55%
Iñigo de Loyola
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Following on from St George's Day and various people saying they are/aren't proud to be English, I thought I'd do a poll to see what TSR thinks.

Personally, I am proud to be English and I'm proud of our values. Thoughts?
statsboi2002
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I am, to an extent. I don't like to get over the top though
Iñigo de Loyola
Rep:
?
(Original post by statsboi2002)
Good to hear your opinion.
mozarelladippers
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I'm not. Considering how much pain the British have caused others through colonialism, which we should be taught at school.
Greywolf.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
Following on from St George's Day and various people saying they are/aren't proud to be English, I thought I'd do a poll to see what TSR thinks.

Personally, I am proud to be English and I'm proud of our values. Thoughts?
Of course I am, why wouldn’t I be?
Greywolf.
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by mozarelladippers)
I'm not. Considering how much pain the British have caused others through colonialism, which we should be taught at school.
We are taught about it at school, at least I was
mozarelladippers
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Greywolftwo)
We are taught about it at school, at least I was
But were you taught about the cruel methods the British used or only the 'amazing' things that the british brought to other countries?
Hudds999
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Yes, I’m proud to be English and I’m patriotic. A lot of people aren’t though and they’re usually far lefty weirdos who hate this country. Some of this weirdos have it in their head that if you celebrate St George’s day and are patriotic, you’re automatically a racist. They have it in their heads that if you celebrate St George’s day your celebrating the colonisation of the past and the old British empire. This is just false. Funny though, this **** never comes up on the Scottish, Welsh or Northern Ireland nationalist days. I think we’re losing our identity as a country and as a nation, and it’s a sad way to go.
steveio
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by statsboi2002)
That's the one. No need to go mad about it.
Greywolf.
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
But were you taught about the cruel methods the British used or only the 'amazing' things that the british brought to other countries?
I was taught about everything, including the use of concentration camps by the British in the Boer war
Iñigo de Loyola
Rep:
?
Of course I am, why wouldn’t I be?
Oikophobia is a thing unfortunately.
username2393237
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Most countries have committed atrocities.
steveio
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Hudds999)
Yes, I’m proud to be English and I’m patriotic. A lot of people aren’t though and they’re usually far lefty weirdos who hate this country. Some of this weirdos have it in their head that if you celebrate St George’s day and are patriotic, you’re automatically a racist. They have it in their heads that if you celebrate St George’s day your celebrating the colonisation of the past and the old British empire. This is just false. Funny though, this **** never comes up on the Scottish, Welsh or Northern Ireland nationalist days. I think we’re losing our identity as a country and as a nation, and it’s a sad way to go.
Yep. Spot on
mozarelladippers
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I was taught about everything, including the use of concentration camps by the British in the Boer war
And you're still proud of being English?
mozarelladippers
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by YaliaV)
Most countries have committed atrocities.
Agreed. But it can be argued that the British have committed a large proportion of these atrocities. The British have attempted or have successfully colonised around 90% of the whole world
mozarelladippers
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
For me, its not that I hate being British but I do not agree with or am not proud of the large majority of the things the British have done in the past.
Hudds999
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
For me, its not that I hate being British but I do not agree with or am not proud of the large majority of the things the British have done in the past.
So you’re saying if you were German you wouldn’t celebrate the day of German union?

Look, it would be hard to find countries that haven’t done shocking things in the past. Hitler (Germany), Ottoman Empire (Armenia genocide), Yugoslavia genocide, Belgians in the Congo, slave trade by most of Europe, Japanese war atrocities in China etc etc etc. But that’s in the past now...
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Prefer to consider myself British but yes nevertheless
username5027880
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
100% proud to be British.
Could not have been brought up in a better country.
NewAlt
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Yes I'm proud. Our language dominates the world. We have a great & rich history, much greater than most countries of the world. Although we have done some atrocities, other countries have done far worse.

However, in recent years we have, in my opinion, degenerated (chavs, clothing, etc.) as a society. I hope I can rectify this in a small way with my future contributions to science.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (21)
13.64%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (42)
27.27%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (64)
41.56%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
14.94%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.6%

Watched Threads