The Student Room Group

Are you proud to be English?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Em.-.
Likely if you have enough Scottish in you. I just hope Britain stays as Britain, makes everything less complicated, and keeps the nice flag. :smile:

i agree
Original post by LiberOfLondon
Following on from St George's Day and various people saying they are/aren't proud to be English, I thought I'd do a poll to see what TSR thinks.

Personally, I am proud to be English and I'm proud of our values. Thoughts?

Nope, maybe when it comes to insulting America though lol (sorry for the harsh comment).
Original post by Hudds999
How is it embarrassing? Close the door on your way out.

Agreed. In my opinion the standard for being British should be a love for our culture and being patriotic. I would rather have one Priti Patel in this country than a thousand Steve Brays*

* Steve Bray is that nutter with a top hat and EU flag.
Er, kind of, but at the same time, kind of not. There are worse places to be from. I wouldn't really call myself patriotic, but I don't hate the country. I'm happy to live here.
Reply 64
Original post by LiberOfLondon
Agreed. In my opinion the standard for being British should be a love for our culture and being patriotic. I would rather have one Priti Patel in this country than a thousand Steve Brays*

* Steve Bray is that nutter with a top hat and EU flag.

This. I’d rather have skilled immigrants who appreciate our country and are proud to be here than people born here who can only complain about it because they’ve never been in another country with proper issues.
Original post by Em.-.
This. I’d rather have skilled immigrants who appreciate our country and are proud to be here than people born here who can only complain about it because they’ve never been in another country with proper issues.

PRSOM.
Original post by BRITAIN SUCKS
No I'm ****ing embarrassed to be British I hate it and everything about it I want the bomb that America bombed Japan with to bomb Britain I want it to be destroyed

And that’s why you should’ve been spunked on your mums tits instead.
Original post by Hudds999
And that’s why you should’ve been spunked on your mums tits instead.

alright big boy
Original post by yeetouttawindow
alright big boy

big boy 🤢
Original post by AM.TSR

Original post by AM.TSR

How do I make this my profile picture? :tongue:
I used to be, until the shame of Brexit and now with the man whose neglect has led to thousands of deaths, Mr Johnson, I am not. I make every effort not to speak English when abroad, and wear nothing that could easily identify me as English.
Original post by mozarelladippers
I'm not. Considering how much pain the British have caused others through colonialism, which we should be taught at school.

This is the realest post I ever read on here.

I was somewhat proud to be black British, but after seeing what the majority are saying and how much more concerned they are over preserving monuments of slave masters as appose to what’s actually going on in the world, I am not proud at all and may even stop identifying as British.
I'm not English, I'm Irish. Although I love being Irish, I wouldn't say it's something I'm proud of because it's not an achievement, it just happens to be where I was born.
I wouldn’t qualify for being English as I am not white. So, I’d call myself British Asian. I find patriotism in general stupid. Why would you be proud of being born on a slab of land? It’s not something you worked hard to achieve. Patriotism makes people unwilling to hold their leaders accountable for their questionable actions.
Original post by BuckHowls
I wouldn’t qualify for being English as I am not white.

As a civic nationalist, in my opinion being English is based around supporting English values and practicing English culture, as opposed to where your parents came from.
I'm quite proud to be Scottish! :rambo:
Original post by BuckHowls
I wouldn’t qualify for being English as I am not white.

Of course you qualify for being English. :h:
My best friend was born in India to parents born in India, grew up in England, has spent most of her life studying in England, chose to assimilate into English life and then applied for British citizenship as an adult because she wanted to.
She and I are both English.

Other friends are proudly English with relatives who are equally proud of being: American, Belgian, Chinese, Colombian, Egyptian, Filipino, Iranian, Kenyan, Thai, Turkish, South Korean and Zimbabwean.
My father only identifies as a manc (grew up in Manchester), no interest in being considered English/British/Londoner.
Original post by Quick-use
I'm quite proud to be Scottish! :rambo:

Are you most proud of the castles, deep fried mars bar, haggis, tartan, saltaire, James VI, Tommy Sheridan or 3rd Battalion? :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest