The Student Room Group

Feeling nauseous

I have been feeling nauseous for months on end. I do have the fear of feeling sick and being sick. I have been to the doctors a few times and all my bloods came back clear. I’ve tried tablets to help my nausea, been on medication for acid reflux and GERD but none of them helped. I’m now convinced it’s in my head but I have no idea how to cure it. I can’t go anywhere because I start feeling sick. I can’t stop thinking about how I feel which makes me feel worse, and it’s a vicious cycle. I’ve had enough of feeling like this everyday. Any ideas how to get over it??
(edited 4 years ago)
Emetophobia is a fear of vomiting or seeing others being sick.
Most individuals with Emetophobia try to control everything they see and do to fit around their fear. They may frequently wash their hands, not eat in public or be seen eating by anyone else, in addition, many adopt some of the same coping strategies as people who suffer from OCD. They might open doors using sleeves, tissues, gloved hands etc, flush toilets using their feet and anything that has to be eaten using their fingers for instance, sandwiches might only be eaten down to where their fingers have touched. Some will avoid going out completely if there is a sickness bug going around. All of those things are done with a
Treatment.

Emetophobia can be successfully treated with exposure therapy. This treatment doesn't necessarily require that the individual actually vomit, but that he/she practice with situations, objects and activities which he fears might lead to vomiting, and which he's been avoiding.

As a junior doctor, I’ve seen many patients with emetophobia with similar symptoms as you. Most of the time it is in your head and you have to work on it. You can do this by not thinking about it, having plenty of distractions like people to talk to, music. I would recommend not eating in public until you’re comfortable to do so. I know this isn’t possible right now due to Covid19 but once this is all over, you could try going on a short walk. The extend that to a short trip to the mall. That could then be extended to a day out with friends until you’re eventually comfortable doing it without stressing too much.

Sorry if I’m being very repetitive in what I’m saying, I’m trying to get my message across so it’s easy-ish to understand!

Good luck and hope you stay safe!!

Quick Reply

Latest