annabelflxming
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi, I’m currently in Y12 and studying history/econ/bio/maths. I think I want to study history for my undergraduate course and although I love history, I have not read any books on the side (I do research when writing my notes/essays so I do have some extended knowledge but not as much as reading a book would give me). The topics I would love to know more about are how WW1 started and “international relations in an age of extremism” (Mussolini/Hitler/Franco). Please recommend any books you know would help me.

PS: I forgot to say I’m studying CIE’s international relations AS history course.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi I moved your thread to a more relevant forum I'm doing history AQA AS and I defo recommend this: https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resourc...-70422O-RL.PDF
Last edited by PetitePanda; 8 months ago
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by annabelflxming)
Hi, I’m currently in Y12 and studying history/econ/bio/maths. I think I want to study history for my undergraduate course and although I love history, I have not read any books on the side (I do research when writing my notes/essays so I do have some extended knowledge but not as much as reading a book would give me). The topics I would love to know more about are how WW1 started and “international relations in an age of extremism” (Mussolini/Hitler/Franco). Please recommend any books you know would help me.

PS: I forgot to say I’m studying CIE’s international relations AS history course.
Umm can you be slightly more specific on what you're after for the IR in the age of extremism one? As in specifically on those 3 dictators/countries or a more general theme from around that time and on IR?
annabelflxming
Rep:
?
(Original post by PetitePanda)
Hi I moved your thread to a more relevant forum I'm doing history AQA AS and I defo recommend this: https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resourc...-70422O-RL.PDF
Thank you!!! (I only just started using this, so I don’t completely understand how this works yet :/)
annabelflxming
Rep:
?
(Original post by Napp)
Umm can you be slightly more specific on what you're after for the IR in the age of extremism one? As in specifically on those 3 dictators/countries or a more general theme from around that time and on IR?
A more general theme from around that time preferably.
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Thank you!!! (I only just started using this, so I don’t completely understand how this works yet :/)
Don't worry we are here to help Do you have a specific time period you like?
annabelflxming
Rep:
?
I find the build up to WWI, the cold war and international relations in an age of extremism (so 1930s and 40s in Europe mostly) the most interesting because that’s what I’ve focused on the most and done the most research.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Umm having just quickly peroused my shelf i think they might be a bit too specific, however, books such as;
https://uk.sagepub.com/en-gb/eur/twe...ons/book226361 (there might be free versions on places like gen.lib or your library)
The Oxford Hand Book of IR might also be of use, i'm not overly sure if they have an older version going back to then though.
annabelflxming
Rep:
?
(Original post by Napp)
Umm having just quickly peroused my shelf i think they might be a bit too specific, however, books such as;
https://uk.sagepub.com/en-gb/eur/twe...ons/book226361 (there might be free versions on places like gen.lib or your library)
The Oxford Hand Book of IR might also be of use, i'm not overly sure if they have an older version going back to then though.
Thank you so much!
Greywolf.
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I do OCR but I’ll take a look as well, especially seeing as the whole British Empire course has no set textbook
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

For the causes of WW1 have a look at The Sleepwalkers by Christopher Clark.
annabelflxming
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
For the causes of WW1 have a look at The Sleepwalkers by Christopher Clark.
thank you!
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
thank you!
It's a recent run through and pretty comprehensive. I've got about 30 books on the origins of WW1...
annabelflxming
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
It's a recent run through and pretty comprehensive. I've got about 30 books on the origins of WW1...
Wow, I will definitely read it as soon as I am done with my current book. Thank you very much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (57)
17.27%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (93)
28.18%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (125)
37.88%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.33%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.33%

Watched Threads