The Student Room Group

Illness in personal statement for Masters?

I want to mention my illness in my personal statement as it was instrumental in making me achieve lower grades in my 2nd year.
I sustained a back injury, couldn't even walk for 1 month, was on bed rest and ended up on mitigating circumstances for all my essays in Term 1 of my second year.
I also had to return home in late November as I couldn't even move. Due to this, alongwith emotional problems, I ended up dropping from 68% in my 1st year to 58% in my 2nd year.

As of now, the university has asked my to submit my 1st and 2nd year transcripts to support my masters application.
I'm afraid they wouldnt accept me so should I mention it?

Scroll to see replies

I think this would be better placed in a reference
Reply 2
Original post by Noodlzzz
I think this would be better placed in a reference

But my supervisor does not know about it?
This belongs in a reference, not a personal statement which should be about your interest and motivation to study the course you're applying for.

'Emotional problems' is a bit vague and wooly and best avoided. It seems mandatory now for students to have one of anxiety, depression or emotional difficulties, so unless you can be specific (and evidence it) then stick to more concrete health issues.

You don't say what you got for your final year. Was it significantly better than your second year?
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check
This belongs in a reference, not a personal statement which should be about your interest and motivation to study the course you're applying for.

'Emotional problems' is a bit vague and wooly and best avoided. It seems mandatory now for students to have one of anxiety, depression or emotional difficulties, so unless you can be specific (and evidence it) then stick to more concrete health issues.

You don't say what you got for your final year. Was it significantly better than your second year?

But how can my supervisor mention this? She doesnt know it.

I havent been marked yet for 3rd year.
Why not? If it was so epic, and involved you having to take so much time away from your course, how in earth doesn't she know? What did she think was going on instead to account for the poor performance.

You've got a bit of a problem if your referee doesn't know your backstory. How can she give a balanced reference, which can directly address this issue (which it would need to) if she's not even in possession of the facts?
Why not? If it was so epic, and involved you having to take so much time away from your course, how in earth doesn't she know? What did she think was going on instead to account for the poor performance.

You've got a bit of a problem if your referee doesn't know your backstory. How can she give a balanced reference, which can directly address this issue (which it would need to) if she's not even in possession of the facts?

^^^ That ^^^

Do not try and use your personal statement with it's strict character limit to explain issues of health rather than sell your positives, adversity should only be mentioned on the context of an achievement (IMO)
Reply 7

She is my supervisor this year. Not last year. Though I did send her an email last year saying I couldn't make it to uni anymore. But she didnt seem very interested in knowing about my illness.
In that case, you need to approach someone who does know about this in order to give you a balanced reference. Does your course leader/tutor know about it - or maybe your previous supervisor. If you're going to use your final year supervisor as a reference , then you need to make her aware of what's been going on with your health, and how you'd like it handling in a reference.
It was in your interests to try harder than a vague email relying on someones curiosity. Blunt but I can't think of a nice way to dress it up.
Original post by StriderHort
It was in your interests to try harder than a vague email relying on someones curiosity. Blunt but I can't think of a nice way to dress it up.

I did explain everything back then. But she didnt respond
In that case, you need to approach someone who does know about this in order to give you a balanced reference. Does your course leader/tutor know about it - or maybe your previous supervisor. If you're going to use your final year supervisor as a reference , then you need to make her aware of what's been going on with your health, and how you'd like it handling in a reference.

I ve mentioned it to her so she has an idea but she has never actively spoken about me about my illness nor seems interested.
She is the only one who knows me quite well to give me a reference but I'm certain she wont mention it in the reference as she has never really expressed much interest.
Blunt but I can't think of a nice way to dress it up.

Sort of sums you up :tongue:

You need to get her interested then. You obviously need to do well this final year, but the issue of the relatively poor second year will inevitably come up, and the person you've chosen to be your reference needs to be fully cognisant of the reasons and situation behind it.
Then you email again asking for a reply. Then you phone them. Then you email someone else and ask why they're not replying. It's in your interests, not theirs.

I say this as someone with a track record of avoidance and sand head sticking, it's on you to get these things done and clarification you need.

I made a similar flamingo up with my 2nd year super and expected them to chase me, totally bombed the unit and they were no 'help'. But they'd put in exactly as much effort as I had. I came back next year with more motivation, got the same super and we totally aced it.
Sort of sums you up :tongue:

You need to get her interested then. You obviously need to do well this final year, but the issue of the relatively poor second year will inevitably come up, and the person you've chosen to be your reference needs to be fully cognisant of the reasons and situation behind it.

That's why I'm asking if I should mention it in my PS because I only see it that way. My injury is long term so it still affects my studies.
She will probably say she was not in touch with me during that time so cannot comment on it much. That's what she always says.
What's stopping you emailing her now?
What's stopping you emailing her now?

I always email her and she responds and is helpful but she doesnt have much knowledge on what exactly happened in late 2018/early 2019 as she wasnt my supervisor then so she is like I'm not in the position to comment much except that I know you have this illness
You realise this is like pulling teeth yea? we've went from 'my supervisor doesn't know about it' to 'I explained everything and she didn't respond' to now 'I always email her and she responds and is helpful'?

If they're telling you they're struggling to give you a reference because they simply don't know you, there isn't much they can do if you've not been there. The nominated reference staff at my old place were firm on not being able to give references for students they don't know beyond 'yes, this student exists on our email system'. I'd still be in touch candidly explaining my concern and asking what can be done/who else could be spoken to, eg could your previous super provide your current one with a statement or any supporting info?. I still think trying to jam it into a personal statement is a nono. need to be a bit more more proactive.
In addition to what everyone else has said, if your condition is long term, is your supervisor able to comment on how it affects you right now? If they don't know about it (which is what you've said), then does the university know about it? Are you getting any support which could be evidenced in said reference?
I repeat: does your supervisor know enough to comment on your well-being at this moment in time and how it's affecting your dissertation (or whatever work you are doing now)? Also, why can't you get a reference from your well-being advisor as well to cover yourself?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending