username4398974
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
What subject should I study at degree level to go into teaching?
I do Biology, Maths and Psychology A level!
Thank you
Get into Teaching
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by randomquestion)
Thank you
My advice would be to study the subject you are most passionate about and motivates you to get up everyday, as you are excited to pass on your knowledge and teach and inspire kids. If you are not passionate about your subject, kids will pick up on this.

Hope that makes sense.
Dan
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
For primary teaching, probably a primary education degree with QTS. For secondary teaching, one that includes at least 50% content in the subject you would like to teach at secondary level - since that is usually a requirement for the PGCE in a given subject (although you can still do a PGCE in another subject if you do an SKE before starting, but if you're still planning you may as well aim for the subject directly relevant to what you want to teach). 04MR17 might be able to offer some advice as well.
username4398974
Rep:
?
(Original post by Get into Teaching)
My advice would be to study the subject you are most passionate about and motivates you to get up everyday, as you are excited to pass on your knowledge and teach and inspire kids. If you are not passionate about your subject, kids will pick up on this.

Hope that makes sense.
Dan
Which of the three a levels would be more likely to get me into employment at teachjng
replyplzbish
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Science and maths teachers are more sought after in secondary schools than Psychology
username4398974
Rep:
?
(Original post by replyplzbish)
Science and maths teachers are more sought after in secondary schools than Psychology
Would a Biology degree be good to do?
Cdhelp
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Science or maths - search teaching jobs and you’ll see they request STEM subjects the most
username4398974
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cdhelp)
Science or maths - search teaching jobs and you’ll see they request STEM subjects the most
Biology then?
replyplzbish
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Would a Biology degree be good to do?
yeah it's quite hard to actually get into that field without doing a phd and stuff afterwards but if you're sure you want to be a teacher I think it would be a good degree to have imo
username4398974
Rep:
?
(Original post by replyplzbish)
yeah it's quite hard to actually get into that field without doing a phd and stuff afterwards but if you're sure you want to be a teacher I think it would be a good degree to have imo
Yh that’s the thing, I would love to do a Biology degree tho so I’m thinking if it’ll be worth it
Get into Teaching
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Which of the three a levels would be more likely to get me into employment at teachjng
There's a much bigger need for Biology and Maths teachers than Psychology. Plus there are large bursaries available for both when doing your teacher training.
username4398974
Rep:
?
(Original post by Get into Teaching)
There's a much bigger need for Biology and Maths teachers than Psychology. Plus there are large bursaries available for both when doing your teacher training.
I am thinking of doing a Biology degree, is this a good idea?
Get into Teaching
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I am thinking of doing a Biology degree, is this a good idea?
If your passion is in Biology then i would say this is a great idea. But it's got to be what you can see yourself teaching for the rest of your career.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Truthfully, your A Level subjects won't make a world of difference. When applying for Teacher Training or for jobs as a teacher. It's you.

From reading the thread you seem to be pretty set on Biology. While every school is different, if you want to teach secondary school Biology then chances are you'll also be expected to deliver teaching in chemistry and physics up to a certain point. Depending on the size of the school and science department will usually affect how much of the other two subjects you'd be teaching alongside biology, but just bear that in mind.

If you're currently doing your A Levels then maybe it's worth chatting to your teachers (when schools re-open properly) about their experiences teaching that subject and some of their reflections on it. You have to make your own decision but sometimes a little insight there can be helpful.

Do you have any more questions related to teaching that you want to ask?
Now would be the time. :yep:
username4398974
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
Truthfully, your A Level subjects won't make a world of difference. When applying for Teacher Training or for jobs as a teacher. It's you.

From reading the thread you seem to be pretty set on Biology. While every school is different, if you want to teach secondary school Biology then chances are you'll also be expected to deliver teaching in chemistry and physics up to a certain point. Depending on the size of the school and science department will usually affect how much of the other two subjects you'd be teaching alongside biology, but just bear that in mind.

If you're currently doing your A Levels then maybe it's worth chatting to your teachers (when schools re-open properly) about their experiences teaching that subject and some of their reflections on it. You have to make your own decision but sometimes a little insight there can be helpful.

Do you have any more questions related to teaching that you want to ask?
Now would be the time. :yep:
Does not having a chemistry or physics a level affect my employability then?
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Maths - I've known a few maths teachers. Can be a brilliant job. Far less marking than other subjects, parents are supportive of the subject and loads of ways to earn more doing tutoring.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Not massively no. A Levels in those subjects might make you slightly more employable but not having them doesn't mean you won't land a job.

A job candidate who has those A Levels may still be a rubbish teacher, and that's what matters.
Cdhelp
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Not massively no. A Levels in those subjects might make you slightly more employable but not having them doesn't mean you won't land a job.

A job candidate who has those A Levels may still be a rubbish teacher, and that's what matters.
I think you’re missing the question here.

In order to be considered as a teacher you need to study certain degree choices - eg have achieved certain grades at GCSE and have a STEM uni degree. If you don’t have these basics you won’t be considered as a teacher.

after you meet the criteria can they asses if you’ll be a good teacher or not
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thank you
You could do a B.Ed or a degree in one of the core subjects followed by a PGCE?
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Cdhelp)
I think you’re missing the question here.

In order to be considered as a teacher you need to study certain degree choices - eg have achieved certain grades at GCSE and have a STEM uni degree. If you don’t have these basics you won’t be considered as a teacher.

after you meet the criteria can they asses if you’ll be a good teacher or not
The original question in the first post was:

This was responded to in posts #2,3,5,7. I didn't have much else to add to those comments.
The OP has replied with further questions in posts #4,6,8,12. One of which I responded to in my first post, specifically concerning A Level subjects, not degrees.

The post you quoted was me replying specifically to the question:

I don't think that a question about specific subject choices at A Level requires repeating details of degree requirements for entering teaching, which several other users have already included further up the thread. I am instead focusing on the matter of A Levels and employability.
In my eyes, meeting the criteria was a given here, given the criteria has already been outlined.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (7)
4.79%
Confident (14)
9.59%
Indifferent (15)
10.27%
Unsure (33)
22.6%
Worried (77)
52.74%

Watched Threads