The Student Room Group

Changing university goal halfway through a levels URGENT

I'm nearing the end of year 12 and about to start year 13. For the last 3 years, everything I've done with regards to work experience, shadowing, and subject choice (Maths, Physics, Biology, Chemistry) has been with the intention of studying medicine at university.

After doing more research though, I've become really interested in business and finance. What should I do in order to maximise my chances of getting into a university course of this field at this point and time, other than tailoring my personal statement to this field? (Bachelor of commerce, finance major; the only prerequisite is mathematics)

Take online courses by harvard, mit, etc. about the subject? (i.e. edX) Work experience/shadowing? Gap years to take the a level? is it too late?

Investment banking stands out to me, but this could very well change.
(edited 4 years ago)
As a degree level or as a career level?
It's not necessary to do a finance, economics, maths, business type degree. You can still gain a job in the financial market with another degree. Perhaps look at some virtual work experience. And its vital that you have a strong aptitude for maths
Original post by PetitePanda
As a degree level or as a career level?

Initially I was going to take biomedical sciences before as pre-med, but now Im seriously considering a bachelors degree in finance and pursuing a career in the subject e.g. investment banking, risk management, etc.
Original post by SausageMan532
Initially I was going to take biomedical sciences before as pre-med, but now Im seriously considering a bachelors degree in finance and pursuing a career in the subject e.g. investment banking, risk management, etc.

Tbh you could just do wider reading for a bachelors in finance but for career maybe get some work experience (idk too much about how to strengthen it career-wise)
There are usually no specific A-levels required for business/management/finance courses except sometimes maths; they will be used to having applicants from a wide range of A-level backgrounds including all STEM subjects. As @PetitePanda says, doing wider reading should be sufficient to demonstrate interest in the course.
Extra curriculars are considerably overrated. So long as you are taking essential subjects, (Maths in this case), and you have predictions or achieved grades in line with the typical offer, you are very likely to be considered.

In your PS you need to demonstrate a critical understanding of the subject and of the specific course you are applying to. As above, you can do that with wider reading or analysing events in the news.
Original post by Admit-One
Extra curriculars are considerably overrated. So long as you are taking essential subjects, (Maths in this case), and you have predictions or achieved grades in line with the typical offer, you are very likely to be considered.

In your PS you need to demonstrate a critical understanding of the subject and of the specific course you are applying to. As above, you can do that with wider reading or analysing events in the news.

Do you have any tips on doing so?

Quick Reply

Latest