The Student Room Group

Lack of concentration for Science work

I am having a real issue at the moment concentrating on all of my work ESPECIALLY science. I have always hated it because my logic is when am I ever going to use it. Sadly I was put in Triple Science and am not allowed to drop out. So I am stuck doing hard work I hate and don't want to do. No matter what I try I just can't to the work and get bored of it.

Is there anything I can do to help myself concentrate on the work? Otherwise I'm failing Biology Chemistry and Physics
Original post by destinymae
I am having a real issue at the moment concentrating on all of my work ESPECIALLY science. I have always hated it because my logic is when am I ever going to use it. Sadly I was put in Triple Science and am not allowed to drop out. So I am stuck doing hard work I hate and don't want to do. No matter what I try I just can't to the work and get bored of it.

Is there anything I can do to help myself concentrate on the work? Otherwise I'm failing Biology Chemistry and Physics

How far into the course are you? If you are only a few months from finishing then stick with it, if you have only just started then maybe have another conversation with your teachers about it.

If you are really stuck doing Triple then create a plan - list all the topics you need to revise for, then timetable them into a revision guide making sure you stick with it. I always found that planning a reward after a topic I didn't liked helped me work. Just have to keeping trying different methods until you find something that works for you
Reply 2
Original post by SweetSummerx
How far into the course are you? If you are only a few months from finishing then stick with it, if you have only just started then maybe have another conversation with your teachers about it.

If you are really stuck doing Triple then create a plan - list all the topics you need to revise for, then timetable them into a revision guide making sure you stick with it. I always found that planning a reward after a topic I didn't liked helped me work. Just have to keeping trying different methods until you find something that works for you

Ive been doing this since the start of the school year and have been trying to het out of it for just as long
Original post by destinymae

Hi Destinymae,

I believe you have 3 issues

Issue 1: You have a negative association with Science "I am wasting my time"

Issue 2: You are rebellious because it is like you are a force to do it even you don't any value on it

Issue 3: You lack a tool to easily concentrate on something you doesn't like

Issue 1:You have a negative association with Science "I am wasting my time"
There is an inner mental resistance that is holding you back. It is not about time management. The roots are about Emotions.

that's why you should aim to target Emotions

Solution: DO passive actions that are going to create a shift

Digest content about science under the format that most please you (documentary, movie, podcast, historical post, anime video)

Doing so your unconscious mind will progressively accept the idea "hum It might be great"

The shift will happen when you find a connection between "science " and something you naturally like to do.

I challenge you to spend at least 15 min of video, Once a day for an entire week.

It will be hard at the beginning because your mind will start screaming " boring, I am wasting my time"

Reframe it as a challenge "If I am unable to see a video, how come am I expecting to do hard work on it?"

Issue 2: You are rebellious because other people force you to do science despite your will

Solution: Use free writing.

Take a piece of paper. Write down all the things that piss you of the most.

When you clearly write or talk about what you feel, it removes the destructive power theses emotions embeds. And ideas linked to this  Science will start flowing in your mind. The more you describe your feeling and state of consciousness, the more this method is effective
As you write you will observe that emotions raise within you. You might start to a part of your body vibrate. That's good.

The process goes like this:

1/What do you want to do and what are you doing instead? ( x 12 times)

I want to work on homework Xxx but I am doing activity Yyy instead.
2/ What are you angry/ afraid / ashamed of/ sad for / wondering for? List 3 reasons( x 12 times)
I feel unfair that teachers gave so much homework
I am afraid it would be hard or  that it might be difficult
I fear that it might take a long time
I fear that I might be criticized

I am angry people force me to learn it

I fear that my family will be disappointed in me if don’t produce a great result

This exercise requires 1( to 20 min straight for you to experience result

Issue 3: You lack tools to easily concentrate on something you don't like

a- Reward yourself before you start

drinking a coffee/ tee,/ juice, take a yogurt, eat fruit, chips just before engaging revising science. but don't end the reward before you finish working.

You will observe how suddenly your resistance to work disappears.

b- do a piece of science work just before something you like

Do you like history, then spent 5 to 10 min working on science before engaging in history.

DO you like Dancing, then spend

Because you have a positive association with those things, when you think " history" a good image pops up in your mind. It becomes easier to engage in what you don't like.

c- use Diagonal positioning technic to maintain your concentration for longer sessions

The process goes like this (see the attached picture)
Step 1 handwrite your goal 3 times at least
Step 2 draw the first image that comes out from your mind about the topic you want to achieve
Step 3 put it on your left eye’s side
Step 4 look at this image (countdown internally until 70 )
Step 5 starts working on the activity. Put any development you do on your right side.

Your conscious mind and unconscious mind act as a team and There are two types of focus: Conscious attention (Willpower) and Unconscious attention (Daydreaming).
If they disagree, there is an inner conflict that creates inner resistance. That 's why you get sidetrack and find it hard to concentrate.
It is much easier to use on unconscious attention to stay focus rather than relying on conscious attention to force focus.
SO, Always start by making them agree together when trying to achieve any task you might consider difficult.
Before you start, draw an image of the topic, put it on your left, and visualize it for 1 min. The energy you spend drawing the image is far less than the energy you would spend fighting against internal distractions later. You will observe how easy to "get IN " the task.
If your attention wanders, just look at the picture again from time to time to easily get back on track.

Courage; You can still get over it . You will be proud of you.

Quick Reply

Latest