The Student Room Group

Anti-Asian sentiments in the UK?

Lately I've been seeing more and more accounts of discrimination and racially-fuelled violence against Asians, especially East and Southeast Asians, in the UK due to the coronavirus. Frankly, I'm a little hesitant to move to the UK for uni because of this. Are these instances of racism as widespread as the media makes it seem? Have you experienced or witnessed anything like this?

Scroll to see replies

personally witnessed racism through people being ignorant and choosing to believe Asian stereotypes but that's only a few people
If I'm being honest the UK has big problem in regards to racism against the Asian community and the coronavirus epidemic has only made people's hidden prejudices come out more. I know this first hand cos I grew up in a mostly white industrial town and the comments I've received even prior to the coronavirus were daily and mainly based around the stereotypes but my " friends" said it was all just a " joke" .Now it's even worse because people can hide behind a screen and say anything they want without a repercussions and I feel it's a lot more prevalent than it might seem to some people.
Original post by chanyewest
Lately I've been seeing more and more accounts of discrimination and racially-fuelled violence against Asians, especially East and Southeast Asians, in the UK due to the coronavirus. Frankly, I'm a little hesitant to move to the UK for uni because of this. Are these instances of racism as widespread as the media makes it seem? Have you experienced or witnessed anything like this?

No. I've not seen *any* racism towards Asians in current times. Even if people appear racist, they don't mean it... they are just reacting to what the media has told them.
Only morons would blame east Asians, or more precisely Chinese here.
The Chinese communist government is to blame for the **** show we face now and our children will face in years to come.
The Chinese people had nothing to do with it and Chinese living here even less so.
In wake of the coronavirus, it’s completely unfounded, racist and ignorant. This ignorance is why Europe is now the epicentre of the outbreak
Only a tiny minority of ignorant people hold these racist views, most people in this country understand that those views are stupid. Do not judge an entire country on a few people.
Original post by IsraeliTechTheft
Good. Stay at home, we are in a pandemic. International migration isn’t sustainable and Britain must return to being 98% Anglo Saxon.

Do you plan on killing all the non-whites then?
Original post by Poooky
Do you plan on killing all the non-whites then?

Some sort of repatriation process will be required. Nobody criticises the Japanese for upholding their immigration policy. The likes of Greta Thunberg don’t even want people flying anyway so it is clear mass immigration has no future.
(edited 3 years ago)
Some sort of repatriation process. Nobody criticises the Japanese for upholding their immigration policy.

Upholding an existing policy is very different to forced repatriation of what are, legally, British citizens
It’s what they want. They identify more strongly with their own ethno-cult. The future is in Asia anyway, not here. Nationalism has never been more trendy, people in these times just want to protect their own kind. Globalisation has ended.

You're right about one thing.
Globalisation is on a life support.
I can't see it surviving.
I’ve heard a few comments about Asians eating animals and bats etc etc, if you’re referring to that. Not really much other than that though. You’ll be fine.
Original post by MrSandyWilly
No. I've not seen *any* racism towards Asians in current times. Even if people appear racist, they don't mean it... they are just reacting to what the media has told them.

The common saying is " if someone told you to jump off a bridge would u?" Springs to mind there , just because the media is telling you something it doesn't mean you have to believe it nor follow or react to it . People are capable of independent thought and still consciously choose to believe and react to what the media says about south east Asians when clearly what the media usually says isn't true if people even bothered to speak to even a handful of us they'd see just that .
Original post by Geth071002
The common saying is " if someone told you to jump off a bridge would u?" Springs to mind there , just because the media is telling you something it doesn't mean you have to believe it nor follow or react to it . People are capable of independent thought and still consciously choose to believe and react to what the media says about south east Asians when clearly what the media usually says isn't true if people even bothered to speak to even a handful of us they'd see just that .

Also btw I'm mixed race between Welsh and Chinese and was born in Wales but I tend to identify more with my Chinese side due to the environment in which I was brought up in school and outside of school since a young age where people identified me as Chinese via jokes and stereotypes and from when I've spoke to other bame people in my area and beyond who were also born here we all kidna feel the UK is inherently racist and we don't feel welcomed here nor fully part of the wider community and that has only been aggravated more due to the coronavirus and People further alienating south east Asians from their communities with their racism .

P.S I'm also only 17 and so this isn't even something that happened 30 or 40 years ago it's happening in today's society which isn't great
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Geth071002
Also btw I'm mixed race between Welsh and Chinese and was born in Wales but I tend to identify more with my Chinese side due to the environment in which I was brought up in school and outside of school since a young age where people identified me as Chinese via jokes and stereotypes and from when I've spoke to other bame people in my area and beyond who were also born here we all kidna feel the UK is inherently racist and we don't feel welcomed here nor fully part of the wider community and that has only been aggravated more due to the coronavirus and People further alienating south east Asians from their communities with their racism .

P.S I'm also only 17 and so this isn't even something that happened 30 or 40 years ago is happening in today's society which isn't great

PRSOM

Both my parents are Chinese and I was born and brought up in Scotland, 17 years old as well and what you said is pretty accurate
Reply 15
Original post by Greywolftwo
In wake of the coronavirus, it’s completely unfounded, racist and ignorant. This ignorance is why Europe is now the epicentre of the outbreak

Isn't America the new center?
Original post by Just my opinion
You're right about one thing.
Globalisation is on a life support.
I can't see it surviving.

I dont know, people like buying cheap tat too much to make any serious reverses overly plausible.
honestly i'm only hearing about it on the news, not actually seeing it happen

but then maybe its because we're in lockdown and theres not many people out, that could be why
Original post by Napp
I dont know, people like buying cheap tat too much to make any serious reverses overly plausible.

America is now yes
Reply 18
Original post by Greywolftwo
America is now yes

In what way?
Original post by Talpiot_Israel
It is incredibly selfish of you to even think about flying to Europe during a pandemic. If anything the west needs a total moratorium on immigration as well as financial repatriation for foreigners already here, pretty much indefinitely.

Never gonna happen. You could move to Asia and spread your anti-Asian rhetoric over there and see how far it gets you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending