The Student Room Group

Went from 2:2 at undergrad to a distinction at MSc. AMA

Lets picture the scene... it's July 2018 and I've just received my University exam results. Just scraped a 2:2 by 1% in my BEng Civil Engineering degree.

Skipping to September 2019... achieved a Distinction (72%) in MSc Structural Engineering.

Fast forward to April 2020 I am now working for one of the best consultancies in the world as a graduate Bridge Engineer.

THIS IS NOT A BRAG! I feel like I should provide some sort of comfort for anyone who is currently through the first situation that I mentioned. It's not the end of the world...

Ask me anything you want about the course, recruitment processes and how I prepared! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Incubator
Lets picture the scene... it's July 2018 and I've just received my University exam results. Just scraped a 2:2 by 1% in my BEng Civil Engineering degree.

Skipping to September 2019... achieved a Distinction (72%) in MSc Structural Engineering.

Fast forward to April 2020 I am now working for one of the best consultancies in the world as a graduate Bridge Engineer.

THIS IS NOT A BRAG! I feel like I should provide some sort of comfort for anyone who is currently through the first situation that I mentioned. It's not the end of the world...

Ask me anything you want about the course, recruitment processes and how I prepared! :smile:

What did you change from 2018 to 2019?
Reply 2
Original post by MKaur18
What did you change from 2018 to 2019?

The biggest thing I changed was my work ethic and learning how to starve the distractions that surrounded me (including friends).

In my MSc, I made friends with people who had ambition and who would motivate me to do better in my studies and anything that I undertook.

I guess you could say my whole outlook on life changed and I realised I had to cut out friends who wanted to mess around for the rest of their lives :smile:.

I also started to really enjoy Civil/Structural engineering and gained a passion for it. In my undergrad I was just going with the flow and didnt really take much interest in my studies.
Hope this helped.
Reply 3
The biggest thing I changed was my work ethic and learning how to starve the distractions that surrounded me (including friends).

In my MSc, I made friends with people who had ambition and who would motivate me to do better in my studies and anything that I undertook.

I guess you could say my whole outlook on life changed and I realised I had to cut out friends who wanted to mess around for the rest of their lives :smile:.

I also started to really enjoy Civil/Structural engineering and gained a passion for it. In my undergrad I was just going with the flow and didnt really take much interest in my studies.
Hope this helped.

Ahhh okay, well that sounds promising man. I think distractions are my issue atm, mostly it's my lack of focus, I'm trying to fix up as I have a 3 hour exam online - and I'm struggling to sit and revise for 1 hour :redface: help!

I'm taking it easy and trying to not push my mental health off the edge. At a level, I could easily sit for ages, but I've lost the will to live rn.
Reply 4
Original post by MKaur18
Ahhh okay, well that sounds promising man. I think distractions are my issue atm, mostly it's my lack of focus, I'm trying to fix up as I have a 3 hour exam online - and I'm struggling to sit and revise for 1 hour :redface: help!

I'm taking it easy and trying to not push my mental health off the edge. At a level, I could easily sit for ages, but I've lost the will to live rn.

Maybe try to do your revision in short intervals?

If you can only concentrate for 30mins to 60 mins then do this and take a small break in between.

I had to force myself because I was super worried throughout my MSc, so this gave me motivation to sit in one place and study and not get distracted😄
(edited 3 years ago)

Well done you. You should rightly be very proud of yourself
Reply 6
Maybe try to do your revision in short intervals?

If you can only concentrate for 30mins to 60 mins then do this and take a small break in between.

I had to force myself because I was super worried throughout my MSc, so this gave me motivation to sit in one place and study and not get distracted😄

Exactly, so I'm trying to do 45-60 minute sessions, but I'm trying to prepare for my exam in 2 weeks which requires a lot of concentrating and a full attention span for approx 3 hrs :frown: rip.

I think my worry is defo motivating me but not doing me any favours for my sleep - I can't sleep at night :frown: another rip.
Well done! Brag all you want.
Well done, OP! It's very easy to think your life is over if you end up with a 2.2 at undergrad but you've shown that's certainly not the case if you're prepared to put the effort in

I got a 2.2 at undergrad, I'm now doing an MSc and all my grades so far have far surpassed anything I got at undergrad and I'm so pleased. What you say about having passion for the subject you study is so true. Although I liked my undergrad, I wasn't passionate about it and it soon became a bit of a slog, whereas I am 100% committed to my MSc (I was lucky enough to sort of turn a hobby into something I could have a career in, or thereabouts) and really enjoying it. It makes a massive difference.
Reply 9
Original post by bones-mccoy
Well done, OP! It's very easy to think your life is over if you end up with a 2.2 at undergrad but you've shown that's certainly not the case if you're prepared to put the effort in

I got a 2.2 at undergrad, I'm now doing an MSc and all my grades so far have far surpassed anything I got at undergrad and I'm so pleased. What you say about having passion for the subject you study is so true. Although I liked my undergrad, I wasn't passionate about it and it soon became a bit of a slog, whereas I am 100% committed to my MSc (I was lucky enough to sort of turn a hobby into something I could have a career in, or thereabouts) and really enjoying it. It makes a massive difference.

There were actually other factors which gave me a wake up call.

Luckily, after my MSc I still managed to get several job offers after convincing employers that I was young and dumb and that the change that I had made in my life was quite clearly evident. This was through my grades and other positive extra curricular activities that I had participated in.

I count myself very lucky to be in the position that I am in. If you need any advice or somebody to talk to please do not hesitate to reach out to me :smile:.
(edited 3 years ago)
What uni did you go to do your BEng?
Reply 11
Original post by harris358
What uni did you go to do your BEng?

Don't really want to disclose on here. Sorry :P
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest