thomasz1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Does anyone have experience with filing a US tax return as a student with UK/USA dual citizenship? Does anybody have any good resources about tax requirements specifically for students holding dual citizenship? Am I required to declare Student Finance England maintenance grant payments as taxable income? Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thank you
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by thomasz1)
Does anyone have experience with filing a US tax return as a student with UK/USA dual citizenship? Does anybody have any good resources about tax requirements specifically for students holding dual citizenship? Am I required to declare Student Finance England maintenance grant payments as taxable income? Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thank you
Im curious about this, im also a dual-citizen but have spent most of my life in the UK and ive never filed a US tax return, my understanding is at some point ill have to do it but that as long as I live in the UK I should be exempt from paying the US tax money as long as I pay the UK levels. I think this is a problem google will be more helpful then TSR.

I cant remember if I ever told student finance, but I dont think I did.
Last edited by mnot; 7 months ago
thomasz1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by mnot)
Im curious about this, im also a dual-citizen but have spent most of my life in the UK and ive never filed a US tax return, my understanding is at some point ill have to do it but that as long as I live in the UK I should be exempt from paying the US tax money as long as I pay the UK levels. I think this is a problem google will be more helpful then TSR.

I cant remember if I ever told student finance, but I dont think I did.
Same here - basically lived the entirety of my life here in the UK. From what I have read and understand you are required to file US taxes if you earn over the minimum taxable gross income threshold (varies slightly each year, but ~10,000USD). My problem is that I don't know if the SFE maintenance loan should be declared as taxable income, as this may take me one the threshold? There is some info on Google relating to UK/USA dual citizen tax requirements, but little information that is specific to students (you would think there should be, surely there are a lot of us this applies to?).

Just some other things it might be worth you knowing about (you might already know):
- You are required to file US taxes in addition to UK taxes if you earn over the minimum taxable gross income threshold (~10,000USD). UK taxes don't exempt you from having to file in the USA, but UK taxes can be deducted from your USA tax requirements.
- FBAR - separate form to the USA tax return. Required to file if the total value of all your foreign financial accounts exceeds 10,000USD at any time during the calendar year.
- Selective Service System - Required by law that any man between the ages of 18-25 register with the Selective Service. In the event that a national crisis ever occurred, the Selective Service provides a system by which young men between the ages of 18-25 can be inducted into the military (sounds scary, but there is a whole random lottery process to choose people if this ever actually happens).
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by thomasz1)
Hi there, we require to know about your household income and we need the gross amount. We don't need to know about the students income unless their employer releases them to study or they have unearned income.
Thanks, Isaac.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I've moved this to the Student Financial Support forum from Ask Student Finance England, since it doesn't seem to have had any specific question directed at SFE regarding the application for finance from them, rather the relation of that finance to other matters outside of their responsibility.

If you earn under $12,000 PA you don't need to file taxes in the US. I'm not too sure how SFE loans figure into this - I believe the US equivalent of them are tax deductable. Otherwise you are supposed to file for taxes but as noted, because you will be paying a higher rate of tax in the UK than you would in the US, in principle you won't owe money. This article: https://money.usnews.com/money/perso...llege-students might be somewhat useful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (712)
33.92%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (898)
42.78%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (396)
18.87%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.43%

Watched Threads