CIFAS marker on my name that i was unaware of

Watch
bobbybrown12
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
So this year january, I tried to change my Santander bank account from a normal account to a student account. This went through credit checks which was accepted. However, 2 weeks later, i received a letter from Santander saying that they are closing my bank account and that i should collect my money. I called them regarding this and they told me i had to go to the store to find out why. The following day I went to the store to collect my money and find out, however they didn't allow me to collect my money as they needed proof of where my money came from (STUDENT FINANCE - I have been using student finance for almost 2 years in that bank account so im confused why they would ask). I went home and printed out my student finance and showed them proof, telling them to release some money for the day/week as i am at university and can't buy food, transport ect, since i am away from home. They refused and said i had to wait till the investigation is done. My dad called them the next day demanding they release the funds since i already showed them proof which they did. I asked them why they are closing my account and they said a third party referencing agency told them not to trust me ect. However I have been banking with Santander for almost 5/6 years with no problems so how could they not trust me?

So after contacting this third party agency known as CIFAS, they finally sent me their database which had me under first party fraud which was placed by Metro Bank which i was unaware of. When I was banking with Metro bank, i opened an account in 2018 which i did not use until i received my first salary (i wanted this to be my work bank account) however, in August 2018 they told me they were closing my bank account and will not reveal why. As I didn't care too much about that bank, i just left them and didn't bother arguing with them. When i wrote to them 5 weeks ago regarding this CIFAS warning to remove it, they refused, it took almost 3 letters (i received today) for them to finally tell me why they closed my account. They said 2 third parties bank reported that an intended fraudulently transactions were credited to my bank account and because of this, they have decided to close my bank account and refused to remove me off the CIFAS database. Last time i checked my bank account there was no transactions made at all since i did not use this card???

i told them i am still unaware of what has happened and how this marker has affected my credit score, affected my life in university to pay rents and receive student loan but still they refused. I also told them that back in 2018 on my way to work, i received a call from them saying a payment was attempted in footaslyum. I told them it wasn't me but i was on my way to work so i couldn't speak to long and told them i will call them back (which i forgot after work). however in their recent letter they said there was no evidence of this phone call at all.

What are my options because the banks are not willing to change their decisions, i was told to take my complaint to Ombudsman service. What are the chances of success because i feel like they will always listen to banks
Xarao
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
You might be able to use Monzo. Anyways, in regards to the CIFAS marker, have you ever been part of the scam schemes where people ask for your bank details in exchange for cash? I believe you may have.
bobbybrown12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Xarao)
You might be able to use Monzo. Anyways, in regards to the CIFAS marker, have you ever been part of the scam schemes where people ask for your bank details in exchange for cash? I believe you may have.
I know what that is and I am not stupid enough to give someone my details
Xarao
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by bobbybrown12)
I know what that is and I am not stupid enough to give someone my details
If two different banks reported you, you was definitely up to something. If it wasn't anyone else, probably its you that is performing the fraudulent activities?
bobbybrown12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Xarao)
If two different banks reported you, you was definitely up to something. If it wasn't anyone else, probably its you that is performing the fraudulent activities?
I haven't used that bank account for anything other than waiting for my work salary. I'm not even a hacker so how can i send money to myself and in the letter they said intended payments. I know the risks involved in doing this, hence why i always say no to it. So why would i do it?? i've had a bank for almost 6 years
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I'm sorry, but I really don't see how you couldn't have known about fraudulent activity going on within your accounts.

Your story makes no logical sense.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
I'm sorry, but I really don't see how you couldn't have known about fraudulent activity going on within your accounts.

Your story makes no logical sense.
Especially when reported my multiple institutions..
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 8 months ago
So this year january, I tried to change my Santander bank account from a normal account to a student account. This went through credit checks which was accepted. However, 2 weeks later, i received a letter from Santander saying that they are closing my bank account and that i should collect my money. I called them regarding this and they told me i had to go to the store to find out why. The following day I went to the store to collect my money and find out, however they didn't allow me to collect my money as they needed proof of where my money came from (STUDENT FINANCE - I have been using student finance for almost 2 years in that bank account so im confused why they would ask). I went home and printed out my student finance and showed them proof, telling them to release some money for the day/week as i am at university and can't buy food, transport ect, since i am away from home. They refused and said i had to wait till the investigation is done. My dad called them the next day demanding they release the funds since i already showed them proof which they did. I asked them why they are closing my account and they said a third party referencing agency told them not to trust me ect. However I have been banking with Santander for almost 5/6 years with no problems so how could they not trust me?

So after contacting this third party agency known as CIFAS, they finally sent me their database which had me under first party fraud which was placed by Metro Bank which i was unaware of. When I was banking with Metro bank, i opened an account in 2018 which i did not use until i received my first salary (i wanted this to be my work bank account) however, in August 2018 they told me they were closing my bank account and will not reveal why. As I didn't care too much about that bank, i just left them and didn't bother arguing with them. When i wrote to them 5 weeks ago regarding this CIFAS warning to remove it, they refused, it took almost 3 letters (i received today) for them to finally tell me why they closed my account. They said 2 third parties bank reported that an intended fraudulently transactions were credited to my bank account and because of this, they have decided to close my bank account and refused to remove me off the CIFAS database. Last time i checked my bank account there was no transactions made at all since i did not use this card???

i told them i am still unaware of what has happened and how this marker has affected my credit score, affected my life in university to pay rents and receive student loan but still they refused. I also told them that back in 2018 on my way to work, i received a call from them saying a payment was attempted in footaslyum. I told them it wasn't me but i was on my way to work so i couldn't speak to long and told them i will call them back (which i forgot after work). however in their recent letter they said there was no evidence of this phone call at all.

What are my options because the banks are not willing to change their decisions, i was told to take my complaint to Ombudsman service. What are the chances of success because i feel like they will always listen to banks
You will have to take it up with the Ombudsman, without further details then your version makes no sense as they are suggesting there are multiple instances, but you are saying theres none. The ombudsman will be able to investigate properly and give you more information plus if justified talk to the banks and ask for a removal.
bobbybrown12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Napp)
Especially when reported my multiple institutions..
Which had nothing to do with me, someone may have possibly taken my details idk?????? accusing me is not helping the situation.
bobbybrown12
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
You will have to take it up with the Ombudsman, without further details then your version makes no sense as they are suggesting there are multiple instances, but you are saying theres none. The ombudsman will be able to investigate properly and give you more information plus if justified talk to the banks and ask for a removal.
The 2 incidents happened at the same month/week i think. That's what they told me. They said it happened in June, but didn't close my account till August. They had from June to alert me about this which they did not. You can't just close down someone account without even alerting them or contacting them regarding it. Like i said, i've been banking with Santander for over 5 years and this has never happened.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Which had nothing to do with me, someone may have possibly taken my details idk?????? accusing me is not helping the situation.
I'm not accusing you, merely doubting your story.
At any rate, your only option really, as told to you by 999tiger, is to appeal to the Ombudsman. As the bank are unlikely to take your side in this.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 8 months ago
The 2 incidents happened at the same month/week i think. That's what they told me. They said it happened in June, but didn't close my account till August. They had from June to alert me about this which they did not. You can't just close down someone account without even alerting them or contacting them regarding it. Like i said, i've been banking with Santander for over 5 years and this has never happened.
You will have to say it to the Ombudsman who can investigate. They can close your account down whenever they like, so yes they can if they feel they have reason. They informed you it would be closed only when you went to change from normal to a student account. You arent worth the risk so you have to go back to the people who originally placed the marker and make a complaint or the ombudsman. I would do both, in fact you cant really go tot he OB until you have complained to the original party.
bobbybrown12
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
You will have to say it to the Ombudsman who can investigate. They can close your account down whenever they like, so yes they can if they feel they have reason. They informed you it would be closed only when you went to change from normal to a student account. You arent worth the risk so you have to go back to the people who originally placed the marker and make a complaint or the ombudsman. I would do both, in fact you cant really go tot he OB until you have complained to the original party.
I have it was metro bank, they refused twice so I’m going ombudsman
Thecrazydoughnut
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

This doesn’t make sense. Perhaps I’m too old or someone’s lying.

1.) Banks have to go through legal proceedings to close someone’s account. They don’t just pick on customers and close their accounts as this is all accounted for on their system.

2.) You say you were banking with metro bank and moved to another one without questioning it any further when they closed your account. Why did this suddenly pop up now? You could’ve questioned them at the time but you waited for whatever reason to contact Metro bank as to why they closed your account.

3.) Banks don’t care what happens in your life after they have closed your account so you arguing this point to them is futile.

My advice to you is to go to an ombudsman who will assist you further when you’re speaking the whole truth.

All the best 😊
martin7
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Thecrazydoughnut)
1.) Banks have to go through legal proceedings to close someone’s account. They don’t just pick on customers and close their accounts as this is all accounted for on their system.
No, they don't need to go through legal proceedings. As a business they can choose who they wish to deal with, in exactly the same way a supermarket (for example) can. (Providing of course that they're not discriminating against you based on protected characteristics.) If they want to stop doing business with you, they can just follow the processes set down in the terms and conditions of the account.

A bank is very unlikely to close someone's account without good reason, of course. No business is likely to stop dealing with a customer on a whim.
Thecrazydoughnut
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by martin7)
No, they don't need to go through legal proceedings. As a business they can choose who they wish to deal with, in exactly the same way a supermarket (for example) can. (Providing of course that they're not discriminating against you based on protected characteristics.) If they want to stop doing business with you, they can just follow the processes set down in the terms and conditions of the account.

A bank is very unlikely to close someone's account without good reason, of course. No business is likely to stop dealing with a customer on a whim.
They clearly are not choosing on who they deal with as they don’t select their customers. The customers selects them. Similar to a supermarket. Therefore it’s their preogratjve on who they choose to deal with.
bobbybrown12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Thecrazydoughnut)
This doesn’t make sense. Perhaps I’m too old or someone’s lying.

2.) You say you were banking with metro bank and moved to another one without questioning it any further when they closed your account. Why did this suddenly pop up now? You could’ve questioned them at the time but you waited for whatever reason to contact Metro bank as to why they closed your account.

3.) Banks don’t care what happens in your life after they have closed your account so you arguing this point to them is futile.

My advice to you is to go to an ombudsman who will assist you further when you’re speaking the whole truth.

All the best 😊
You don’t get it. I had a Santander bank before i banked with Metro for 5 years. The reason why I didn’t fight it back then was because they just told me they were randomly closing down my account and their decision final. I did attempt to ask why but they didn’t tell me at the time so i left it. It wasn’t till this year i realised i had a CIFAS marker on my name when i was trying to switch my Santander bank from a Standard to a student account (same bank) which was then closed down a week after due to this CIFAS marker i had with metro hence why i am appealing it now because its affecting my life

Secondly, I didn’t contact metro because i had just started my new shop which had the same opening hours as metro and not only that I wasn’t allowed to use my phone at work so I couldn’t be bothered to fight it i just moved on SINCE I ALREADY HAVE A MAIN BANK (since u cant f***int read)

Thirdly, i know banks don’t randomly close down accounts there has to be a reason, but like i said before the way they investigated it was poorly because for starters, they didn’t tell me exactly why my account was being closed down at the time and secondly, they called me a month before they closed my account asking if i attempted to spend money in Footasylum which i said no, that wasn’t me as i have no money in that account. Instead of them accusing me of whatever, they should’ve at least investigated properly and looked at where that payment was attempted from because i can guarantee you it wasn’t me. Plus i was working all day so how can i do anything???
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
60.08%
I don't have everything I need (99)
39.92%

Watched Threads