I'm homeschooling and I want to be a Vet!

Watch
Tintin2323
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Someone please help, I really want to be a Vet. what subjects do I need to include in my gcses, what subjects do I need at A Level ? Does 6th forms/universities takes home learners for such subjects? Is doing some gcse subjects exams in year 9 help or hinder me? I am so confused, help someone. Thanks in advance.
Sophhhowa
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Try and stick to the kind of thing you would do if u attended skl. Take ur GCSEs in yr 11 (when ur 15-16) then a levels 2 yrs later. Some unis say not doing all 10 together says you can’t cope with the work load although not all feel like this better safe than sorry. You could take extra ones early but it’s advisable to take about 10 in yr 11. Don’t worry too much about which GCSEs as long as you do well in them. Aim for about 10 (inc maths, 2X eng and all 3 sciences). Try to get mostly 7s and above. At A level chem, bio and maths are ideal. Also try get as much work experience as possible. Unis don’t have a problem with taking homeschooled students so don’t worry bout it.
TheWannabeFarmer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Find the veterinary medicine sub-forum on here for more details:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=196

You need atleast 5 A's (or numerical equivalent) at GCSE - these must include A's in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and English Language

For A levels a typical offer is AAA/AAB - Biology and Chemistry must be AA - the third subject is optional (so long as it is a real A level - critical thinking and the like are not counted)

You also need lots of work experience - when you apply you must typically have around 8 weeks plus gathered in the previous 18 months of your application. This is in vet practices but also dairy farms, lambing, stables and cattery/kennels

Not to say homeschooling won't allow you to get these grades but it is one of the most competitive courses to apply for - typically 1000+ students applying for 150+/- places at each university. Similarly great social skills are needed as a vet, vet student but also applicant in your interview - this could be hindered by homeschooling in my personal opinion.
Tintin2323
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sophhhowa)
Try and stick to the kind of thing you would do if u attended skl. Take ur GCSEs in yr 11 (when ur 15-16) then a levels 2 yrs later. Some unis say not doing all 10 together says you can’t cope with the work load although not all feel like this better safe than sorry. You could take extra ones early but it’s advisable to take about 10 in yr 11. Don’t worry too much about which GCSEs as long as you do well in them. Aim for about 10 (inc maths, 2X eng and all 3 sciences). Try to get mostly 7s and above. At A level chem, bio and maths are ideal. Also try get as much work experience as possible. Unis don’t have a problem with taking homeschooled students so don’t worry bout it.
Thank you so much. I have covered all the Maths,English and E-lit topics now, my bio and chem are good but i also do geo,his, spanish and re. i think i will have to add phys. what age can i start asking for work experience, my vet said no.
Sophhhowa
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Tintin2323)
Thank you so much. I have covered all the Maths,English and E-lit topics now, my bio and chem are good but i also do geo,his, spanish and re. i think i will have to add phys. what age can i start asking for work experience, my vet said no.
Depends on the vet. Ask all ur locals- if they say no then ask what age they’d consider you. I’d also look out for summer schools once you’re yr11/12. Plenty are free or heavily subsidised at top unis like Cambridge, Bath, surrey, have a look at inspire and headstart (please don’t pay silly money for them)
Tintin2323
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheWannabeFarmer)
Find the veterinary medicine sub-forum on here for more details:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=196

You need atleast 5 A's (or numerical equivalent) at GCSE - these must include A's in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and English Language

For A levels a typical offer is AAA/AAB - Biology and Chemistry must be AA - the third subject is optional (so long as it is a real A level - critical thinking and the like are not counted)

You also need lots of work experience - when you apply you must typically have around 8 weeks plus gathered in the previous 18 months of your application. This is in vet practices but also dairy farms, lambing, stables and cattery/kennels

Not to say homeschooling won't allow you to get these grades but it is one of the most competitive courses to apply for - typically 1000+ students applying for 150+/- places at each university. Similarly great social skills are needed as a vet, vet student but also applicant in your interview - this could be hindered by homeschooling in my personal opinion.
thank you for the detail is very helpful, i am home schooled but i did went to school up to year 7. I do a a lot of club activities, in swimming team and athletic team for my area. social skills i have, is how to get work experience for 8 weeks? we have a cat and a rabbits, even my vet said no, everyone wants over 18 but i will at uni than. advice please
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by TheWannabeFarmer)
so long as it is a real A level - critical thinking and the like are not counted)
Critical Thinking and the like - by which I assume you mean General Studies - were abolished a few years ago.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
As a home schooled student you will have to pay for the exams, which is expensive, and it is extremely hard to take subjects that contain any non- examination assessment (often called coursework). This includes the speaking and listening endorsement for GCSE English Language and there are also problems with taking GCSEs in Sciences as the centre where you take the exams has to sign to say you have completed the practicals. For this reason you may be better off taking IGCSE (probably from Pearson Edexcel) in these subjects. Overall I would aim to take 8 GCSEs/IGCSEs. There is certainly no need to do more and 7 would be fine.

An offer for vet Med would almost certainly expect a pass in the assessed practicals at A level Biology and Chemistry and that is both difficult and expensive to achieve as a private candidate. I would serious consider attending a 6th form.

https://he-exams.wikia.org/wiki/HE_Exams_Wiki is the best place to ask about taking exams as a home schooled student.
TheWannabeFarmer
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
thank you for the detail is very helpful, i am home schooled but i did went to school up to year 7. I do a a lot of club activities, in swimming team and athletic team for my area. social skills i have, is how to get work experience for 8 weeks? we have a cat and a rabbits, even my vet said no, everyone wants over 18 but i will at uni than. advice please
Every vet applicant has work experience in the above environments. You need to ask people other than just your vet practice.

With coronavirus set to impact most of summer the requirements may be a bit lower this year but no applicant outside of this would ever get an offer or interview without this. Being a vet is not what the majority of pre-vet students believe it to be and they want to weed out the people for who are unsuitable for a career and education in veterinary practice.
Tintin2323
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
As a home schooled student you will have to pay for the exams, which is expensive, and it is extremely hard to take subjects that contain any non- examination assessment (often called coursework). This includes the speaking and listening endorsement for GCSE English Language and there are also problems with taking GCSEs in Sciences as the centre where you take the exams has to sign to say you have completed the practicals. For this reason you may be better off taking IGCSE (probably from Pearson Edexcel) in these subjects. Overall I would aim to take 8 GCSEs/IGCSEs. There is certainly no need to do more and 7 would be fine.

An offer for vet Med would almost certainly expect a pass in the assessed practicals at A level Biology and Chemistry and that is both difficult and expensive to achieve as a private candidate. I would serious consider attending a 6th form.

https://he-exams.wikia.org/wiki/HE_Exams_Wiki is the best place to ask about taking exams as a home schooled student.
hi Compost,

Wow, great you replied. I am going on that Wiki now.
Any help on work experience?
Thank you so much.
I think my A level would be Biology,Chemistry, Maths and Spanish, is this ok?
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
hi Compost,

Wow, great you replied. I am going on that Wiki now.
Any help on work experience?
Thank you so much.
I think my A level would be Biology,Chemistry, Maths and Spanish, is this ok?
I haven't any advice on work experience.
3 A levels would be plenty, so Biology, Chemistry plus one.
Schnuckiboo
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
It's a good idea to ask as many different areas as you can but given that you haven't completed your GCSEs yet, any work experience you do now probably wouldn't count for your application. Although by all means it's great to get experience when you can so you can decide whether it's something you want to pursue or not.

Emailing different vet practices in your local area with a brief written introduction on why you're seeking the experience helped me gain most of my placements. It looks professional and shows them that you're serious, you can also edit the letter slightly to tailor it to who you're emailing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (80)
14.18%
I'm not sure (26)
4.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (179)
31.74%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.13%
I'm not a current university student (267)
47.34%

Watched Threads