Routes and Experience for a Clinical Psychologist

Watch
feelslikesummer1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
In September I'm doing a 3 year undergraduate course in Psychology and really want to follow a clinical psychology path after this. I'm not too sure where I could find experience to get onto this career path. I know that these courses are extremely competitive so I just wanted to know if there was any volunteering or skills I could improve on to increase my chances
Sophhhowa
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Try volunteering with a mental health charity e.g papyrus or Samaritans.
oglez92
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by feelslikesummer1)
In September I'm doing a 3 year undergraduate course in Psychology and really want to follow a clinical psychology path after this. I'm not too sure where I could find experience to get onto this career path. I know that these courses are extremely competitive so I just wanted to know if there was any volunteering or skills I could improve on to increase my chances
You're right it is very competitive. But if you're determined and consistent, you can succeed.
Clinical psychologists work with a wide variety of clients. Those with acquired brain injuries, schizophrenia, children with learning disabilities, adults with autism etc. As long as you're volunteering or working with clients in that capacity then that'll be good experience for you.
A support worker role might be possible. You could get a bank or agency role that would give you very flexible hours, working around your studies.
Getting an assistant psychologist role seems to be the key to be successful in that field.
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You're better off focusing on getting a 1st in your undergrad, while volunteering is good, it doesn't really count towards 'relevant experience' required for the DCLinPsych ,which you obtain largely after undergrad
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (24)
6.09%
Uncertainty around my education (44)
11.17%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (46)
11.68%
Lack of purpose or motivation (52)
13.2%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (20)
5.08%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (18)
4.57%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (41)
10.41%
Financial worries (27)
6.85%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (16)
4.06%
Exposure to negative news/social media (25)
6.35%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (11)
2.79%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (39)
9.9%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (31)
7.87%

Watched Threads