The Student Room Group

mum has symptoms of coronavirus and i’m worried

I know the recovery rates are much higher than deaths but i’m scared regardless.
she’s the only parent my brother and i have here, we’re from the UK, mum is a nurse in the covid ward i presume that’s where it’s come from. this is now day 3 of isolation and she’s getting worse. I have to look after her but i also have 3 coursework deadlines including disso, and an exam due within 3 weeks and i don’t know what to do.
I'm sorry the virus has impacted you and your family, and I hope things get better for you all. Unfortunately, uncertainty isn't kind to everyone, but things should look up and get better, hopefully before your exam.

For now I would recommend completely isolating from your Mum, obviously, she needs help but it would be best to keep her in bed and leave food outside the door (maybe a bit extreme but the safest measure). I can understand psychologically this feels odd but it's done out of endearment and care for her and yourself. Use electronics or talk from 2 metres away. Keep an eye on her though. If she does show signs in difficulty breathing don't be cautious in calling an ambulance. If you can make a face-masked for yourself, her and your sibling.

I wish you all the best. Statistically, as long as your Mum isn't 70+ and has no underlying health issues there is a very high chance she is going to be fine and her natural immunity will fight it. It may be a hard couple weeks, but I would recommend trying not to stess as you're doing all you can right now. In the unlikely case that she does need to go to hospital I would certainly get in contact with your uni. Furthermore, have they not implemented a policy such as you can't fall below your average from the previous year/term etc? A lot of unis have put measures in place for situations like this.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I know the recovery rates are much higher than deaths but i’m scared regardless.
she’s the only parent my brother and i have here, we’re from the UK, mum is a nurse in the covid ward i presume that’s where it’s come from. this is now day 3 of isolation and she’s getting worse. I have to look after her but i also have 3 coursework deadlines including disso, and an exam due within 3 weeks and i don’t know what to do.

Hey, sorry to hear that!

I think this is the time to be strong. You should prove to yourself that in this difficult situation, you will be able to overcome the obstacles put in front of you and you should be able to talk about that in the future in a way where it doesn't display you as weak but as a survivor.

If you feel like you're late on your studies, I think you should email some of the professors whom you think are most receptive or for whom you think you are having difficulty completing their work and inform them of your situation. You should be as clear as possible and ask them on what they think you should do, perhaps one of them might be kind enough to help you through your work or guide you on how you can postpone. I'm sure they'll understand.

As for dealing with your mum, I salute her first for putting herself on the frontline. Second, I think you shouldn't worry too much... Worrying will not change any result. Just keep monitoring her, checking in on her and providing her with all the essentials that she needs. As a nurse in the covid ward, I'm sure she knows all the protocols and procedures so listen to her advice and don't forget to give her love.

Wishing you well and your mum a speedy recovery.
My mum who's a carer for the elderly tested positive for Coronavirus. Safe to say I can relate to your entire experience.

My mum was showing symptoms (coughing) and eventually leaded to a fever. She had sever panic attacks as well (to a point where she was thinking she was dying). She then got tested at a drive through centre and came back positive the next day. She then self isolated herself in her room for 2 weeks until she stopped getting a temperature and fever. She's basically recovered now, but still has a cough.

I couldn't eat for them 2 weeks, I felt sick the entire time. I totally understand what you're going through. But just keep reminding yourself, it'll be OK in a few weeks! You'll feel good again, your mum will too hopefully. Just wait through the ****ty time.

If you can't handle with uni work, tell them. They'll accommodate. These are tough times for all and they will totally understand.
Following from above, the best thing you can do is to keep your mum well rested and fed (make sure she eats well, body needs it during an infection) . Let her know that you'll be able to take care of yourself etc. Mum's worry more about you than themselves lol, it's in their nature. Stress will only slow down her recovery, so make sure to facetime her every day, keep her smiling etc. And it's time for you to step up and fight whatever is bugging her, with her.
thank you all for your responses! i have emailed my supervisor and module leaders for my courseworks, however i’m not sure who to speak to about the exam i’ll try and find out. our university does have a no detriment policy, but i don’t want to use that as an excuse to not do my best.
We communicate via whatsapp for the most part now. I guess it’s difficult because i’m used to seeing her strong. thank you for your advice, any more is welcome.
Reply 6
Probably stating the obvious but very important she stays hydrated even if not eating most people do lose their appetite a bit at first, and takes paracetemol every 4hours. Write down times on phone so you all know when last dose was. Keep bottle or jug of water /quash/lemonade by her bed. My daughter had chest pains, very sore throat, and hallucinations which are not mentioned much. Phone 111 if worried especially any difficulty with breathing. Daughter and her dad both had it. He needed oxygen for 2days but all fine now. Tomorrow you could maybe chat to one of her colleagues who will be able to reassure you.Now try and get some rest yourself tonight.
Ps If in the unlikely event of things getting dramatically worse do phone 999.Paramedics will come and check her over and take vital signs and do a full assessment of situation.
Oh and get her tested! Gov is ramping up testing so would be good to definitely know whether she has it or not. Saves being in that limbo phase.

Quick Reply