Is it worth staying at home during uni

Watch
academiaghxst
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I'm a hijabi and my parents insist I stay at home instead of renting accommodation for uni, no matter how far away the uni i get accepted into is. They're worried I'll get into trouble with drugs/alcohol/going out etc (things that i really don't intend on doing lol). I honestly don't mind staying at home: I know some of the benefits are cheapness, close to family and it's more comfortable. However, I don't live close to any of the universities I want to apply to. The shortest commute is about 1.5 hours with buses and trains. In the end, I only care about getting my education but I am worried about not getting enough rest/time with all the commuting I need to do, to and from campus, having to wake up early; not to mention workload and finding friends. Are there any hijabis out there that stayed at home? Was it worth it?
hmnk
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by academiaghxst)
I'm a hijabi and my parents insist I stay at home instead of renting accommodation for uni, no matter how far away the uni i get accepted into is. They're worried I'll get into trouble with drugs/alcohol/going out etc (things that i really don't intend on doing lol). I honestly don't mind staying at home: I know some of the benefits are cheapness, close to family and it's more comfortable. However, I don't live close to any of the universities I want to apply to. The shortest commute is about 1.5 hours with buses and trains. In the end, I only care about getting my education but I am worried about not getting enough rest/time with all the commuting I need to do, to and from campus, having to wake up early; not to mention workload and finding friends. Are there any hijabis out there that stayed at home? Was it worth it?
Hello. I am not a hijabi but I am an international student with Muslim parents. Obviously I had no choice but to get accommodation. However, even if I did live in the UK I would still get accommodation in uni because to me, living in the halls is a part of the university experience. Also, it seems that you would have to spend a lot of time on transportation which is going to be very hard for you. Especially since in university everyone struggles with time-management. And also, once you get home, you are probably gonna be too tired to do anything. And remember that you have to do this every single day. I think you should definitely get university accommodation.
Lkathryn08
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I would really not recommend a commute over half and hour/40 minutes. You’re going to be really tired with that journey and uni contact hours can be quite sporadic, like you can have a 9am-10am and then not have another lecture until 5pm and without accommodation close by you’re stuck hanging around at uni if you don’t want a long commute there and back. It could also have a negative impact on your studies, if you’re exhausted from travel it could affect your work and give you less time to relax and complete your uni work.

I would really look into different types of student accommodation, you can be in one gender flats and there’s also things like studio flats which are a lot more private and all sorts of private accommodation if your parents would be more comfortable with that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (114)
13.85%
I'm not sure (36)
4.37%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (249)
30.26%
I have already dropped out (21)
2.55%
I'm not a current university student (403)
48.97%

Watched Threads