The Student Room Group

Integration by substitution

I'm stuck on part B) and E) of these questions. Please may someone help? Thanks in advance for the help.
Original post by Anonymous_4657
I'm stuck on part B) and E) of these questions. Please may someone help? Thanks in advance for the help.

Here is the question.
Here is the question.

Well, you are told the substitutions so you just need to convert these integrals to be entirely in terms of u.

Trig identities must be known. If your sub is u=sinx and cos^2(x) appears, then you can express it in terms of u since cos^2 = 1-sin^2.

Post your wotking out when you get stuck and we can direct you.
Original post by RDKGames
Well, you are told the substitutions so you just need to convert these integrals to be entirely in terms of u.

Trig identities must be known. If your sub is u=sinx and cos^2(x) appears, then you can express it in terms of u since cos^2 = 1-sin^2.

Post your wotking out when you get stuck and we can direct you.

Solution to part b)
Solution to part b)

There is no need for partial fractions.

Notice that 1+u is a common factor between the numerator and denominator; it can be cancelled out.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by RDKGames
There is no need for partial fractions.

Notice that 1+u is a common factor between the numerator and denominator; it can be cancelled out.

For part E) how would I start?

Root by sides, differentiate both sides and determine what dx is and sub it into the integrand ...

Btw we don;t talk about 'cancelling' factors - we call it simplifying - your teachers might pick you up on this.

Quick Reply

Latest