Medicine: St Andrews -> Oxford

Watch this thread
MaxOxMed
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi! I'm researching the Medicine A100 course for the University of St Andrews. I really like the fact that they offer just the undergraduate course, after which students will take the English/Scottish/Canadian route, but I had a question regarding the allocations of graduate medical schools.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I read that medical students can specify their preference university choice and are 'ranked' in order of their 2nd year, 1st term grades. In addition, students can apply for their masters at any other university, right? Therefore, I wondered whether it was possible to apply for the graduate course at the University of Oxford/Cambridge or even uni's in the EU?

Max
StAMed2019
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Hi,
Just some points to mention: I'm not sure if A100 students can go to Canada, i think that is the A990 programme. A100 students choose or are allocated either the english route or the scottish route at the time of application.
The 2nd part of the course is not actually a graduate programme or a masters programme, it is just the clinical part of a normal undergraduate degree and you will get a normal undergrad MBChB or equivalent degree from the partner medical school - so you would be joining the 3rd year of the undergrad medicine programme in 5 year courses such as at Manchester or the 4th year of the programme in 6 year courses such as at Edinburgh. So going to St Andrews is like going to a university with a compulsory intercalation year such as Oxbridge/Imperial/Edinburgh etc - you do your the pre-clinical intercalated bit in St Andrews and then the clinical years at the partner schools but it's all just an undergrad programme if that makes sense?

You are right about the ranking system. You are ranked in a list with the other people on your route, not the whole course, based on 2nd year, 1st semester grades and the closer you are to the top, the higher the chances of you getting your first preference partner medical school.
You can also put in an independent application to TRANSFER to other medical schools and join the 3rd/4th year of their undergrad programme, you cannot apply for a masters. It is up to you to research whether the university you are considering will actually accept transfer students, the entry requirements and application process to transfer to a university that is not a partner medical school because every university's procedure will be different. The med school will provide references etc where needed and they provide a bit of guidance for Cambridge applications but not really for other universities. You can put in an application for Cambridge but they ask that you get the grades equivalent to a first class honours in every single module you sit at St Andrews, along with some other requirements. You have to find out from the other universities themselves whether you can apply to them. Even if you choose to put in an independent application, there will be a place for you at the partner schools if you are unsuccessful but you might not get your first choice as the med school has an obligation to inform the partner schools of any students who are putting in an independent application elsewhere.

Does that answer your question?
MaxOxMed
Rep:
(Original post by StAMed2019)
Hi,
Just some points to mention: I'm not sure if A100 students can go to Canada, i think that is the A990 programme. A100 students choose or are allocated either the english route or the scottish route at the time of application.
The 2nd part of the course is not actually a graduate programme or a masters programme, it is just the clinical part of a normal undergraduate degree and you will get a normal undergrad MBChB or equivalent degree from the partner medical school - so you would be joining the 3rd year of the undergrad medicine programme in 5 year courses such as at Manchester or the 4th year of the programme in 6 year courses such as at Edinburgh. So going to St Andrews is like going to a university with a compulsory intercalation year such as Oxbridge/Imperial/Edinburgh etc - you do your the pre-clinical intercalated bit in St Andrews and then the clinical years at the partner schools but it's all just an undergrad programme if that makes sense?

You are right about the ranking system. You are ranked in a list with the other people on your route, not the whole course, based on 2nd year, 1st semester grades and the closer you are to the top, the higher the chances of you getting your first preference partner medical school.
You can also put in an independent application to TRANSFER to other medical schools and join the 3rd/4th year of their undergrad programme, you cannot apply for a masters. It is up to you to research whether the university you are considering will actually accept transfer students, the entry requirements and application process to transfer to a university that is not a partner medical school because every university's procedure will be different. The med school will provide references etc where needed and they provide a bit of guidance for Cambridge applications but not really for other universities. You can put in an application for Cambridge but they ask that you get the grades equivalent to a first class honours in every single module you sit at St Andrews, along with some other requirements. You have to find out from the other universities themselves whether you can apply to them. Even if you choose to put in an independent application, there will be a place for you at the partner schools if you are unsuccessful but you might not get your first choice as the med school has an obligation to inform the partner schools of any students who are putting in an independent application elsewhere.

Does that answer your question?
Definitely, thanks a lot for clarifying!
TCL
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
You may like to know that at the virtual offer holder day Dr Hughes (Director of Teaching in School of Med) said that 2 people have done their clinical years at Cambridge.
MaxOxMed
Rep:
(Original post by TCL)
You may like to know that at the virtual offer holder day Dr Hughes (Director of Teaching in School of Med) said that 2 people have done their clinical years at Cambridge.
Thanks! Do you know if these 2 people are both from last years' clinical applications or are there just 2 people in 'St Andrews history' who have done their clinical years at Cambridge?
TCL
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MaxOxMed)
Thanks! Do you know if these 2 people are both from last years' clinical applications or are there just 2 people in 'St Andrews history' who have done their clinical years at Cambridge?
He did not specify but I think it must be a total over the years. I got the impression that it may have been recent years. If you e-mail the medical admissions team asking for numbers and dates I am sure they will tell you. Until fairly recently (2017) Cambridge students used to spread out for the clinical years to London and Oxford as well as the places they had in Cambridge, so that may make it easier or more difficult to do clinical years in Cambridge. You could also ask Cambridge how many students they accepted for the clinical years from other universities in each year.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hi! I'm researching the Medicine A100 course for the University of St Andrews. I really like the fact that they offer just the undergraduate course, after which students will take the English/Scottish/Canadian route, but I had a question regarding the allocations of graduate medical schools.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I read that medical students can specify their preference university choice and are 'ranked' in order of their 2nd year, 1st term grades. In addition, students can apply for their masters at any other university, right? Therefore, I wondered whether it was possible to apply for the graduate course at the University of Oxford/Cambridge or even uni's in the EU?

Max
I've never heard of that for Oxford but if you're an exceptionally high achiever I'm sure they'd at least give you a listen. In my year they accepted a student from UCL even though that's completely 'off protocol' as she was a very high achiever.
MaxOxMed
Rep:
Okay, thank you!

I also have a question about grades, as St Andrews requires higher A-level equivalent grades (2x grade 9 and overall 8.5) than Oxford (requires only a grade 8 overall) for Dutch students. However, for UK students the grade requirements for St Andrews (AAA) are lower than Oxford (A*AA). Does this mean that St Andrews hasn't got much experience with Dutch applications or do they really want to make sure that they have the 'right' international applicant?

If I'm right, then Oxford calculates a so-called 'Oxford percentage' for shortlisting of UK applicants, which consists of the amount of A*s at GCSE and the BMAT score. Does anyone know how Oxford and St Andrews interpret international qualifications, like my Dutch GCSE-equivalent grades?
Dreamydutchie
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 year ago

Max
As I'm an international student from The Netherlands, my GCSE equivalent exams (Year 11 exams) will still be taking place in June at my school, but in different exam conditions. However, we have only had education through online classes. I wondered whether these differences in exam policies for GCSE equivalents all around the world, will affect the way Year 11 exams will be regarded in the UK application process?
Hey MaxOxMed! I’ve been lurking on this forum for a while now. I’m from the Netherlands as well and would like to talk to people in similar situations as me. I’ve just created this account so I unfortunately cant send private messages yet. I’m very curious.. how are you doing rn? I’m currently so frustrated about the whole brexit situation and would like to know how you’re planning to deal with the extremely high tuiton fees. Have a great evening
MaxOxMed
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Dreamydutchie)
As I'm an international student from The Netherlands, my GCSE equivalent exams (Year 11 exams) will still be taking place in June at my school, but in different exam conditions. However, we have only had education through online classes. I wondered whether these differences in exam policies for GCSE equivalents all around the world, will affect the way Year 11 exams will be regarded in the UK application process?
Hey MaxOxMed! I’ve been lurking on this forum for a while now. I’m from the Netherlands as well and would like to talk to people in similar situations as me. I’ve just created this account so I unfortunately cant send private messages yet. I’m very curious.. how are you doing rn? I’m currently so frustrated about the whole brexit situation and would like to know how you’re planning to deal with the extremely high tuiton fees. Have a great evening
Hey there! Great to hear from you and I’m glad that you reached out...we definitely are in a difficult situation. Also, I assume you don’t know anyone who has gone to Oxbridge etc, just like me .

I’m doing okay! Just a bit stressy with school, but hey that’s normal in 5th form I think. Are you in 5th form as well? To which UK uni(s) and which course do you want to apply?

So a little backstory about me, I have been dreaming about going to Oxford for quite a while now and from the beginning, the tuition fee has been the one thing holding me back from applying. Then Brexit happened and I was honestly devastated, because I felt like Oxford was now completely out of reach for me with the tuition fees soaring.

Now that few months have passed, I have accepted the fact that tuition is incredibly high and decided to deal with it once I actually get in (which is 5% for international medics at Oxford nowadays - so a very small chance). However I have to say that I already have a plan in mind: a combination of Dutch (and international) scholarships, DUO and private funding, would be the only way for me to be able to go. I’m not sure whether there are also international scholarships worth a shot, surely there is, but I’ll have to look into that more closely. But as I said: that’s a problem for another time, being once I get offered a place (fingers crossed haha).

How are you?
Dreamydutchie
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hey! wow! thank you so much for replying Its very interesting to hear your perspective and relatable as well. I am not comfortable responding to ur questions in this post, can you please try and send me a private message, as I would love to chit chat with you! <3 I have just created this account so I have no idea how private messages work. It says I cant send u a message, maybe it works if u try?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (80)
18.96%
The paper was reasonable (159)
37.68%
Not feeling great about that exam... (117)
27.73%
It was TERRIBLE (66)
15.64%

Watched Threads