Shourya3861
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hello!

i am an offer holder to these 3 unis. i am an intenrational student applying from India. My courses are as follows:-

1) UCL - Statistics, Economics and Finance
2) Warwick - Accounting and Finance
3) Durham - Accounting and Finance

I prefer the campus lifestyle, but warwick and durham have given offers to pretty much everyone in my school, howver UCl has maintained some exclusivity. i want to get into investment banking and consultancy and as far as i know all these colleges (except durham maybe) are target unis for big banks. So keeping everything in mind what, what university should i choose as my firm offer?

any advice is much appreciated, thank you!
heythereitsmee
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Shourya3861)
hello!

i am an offer holder to these 3 unis. i am an intenrational student applying from India. My courses are as follows:-

I prefer the campus lifestyle, but warwick and durham have given offers to pretty much everyone in my school, howver UCl has maintained some exclusivity. i want to get into investment banking and consultancy and as far as i know all these colleges (except durham maybe) are target unis for big banks. So keeping everything in mind what, what university should i choose as my firm offer?

Hi there,
So afaik, UCL is definitely a reputed and prestigious university in the UK. It is great for most things I would say, but the business school is definitely not its forte. UCL is not a target for the financial and consultancy industry. Also, the Business School at UCL is not a campus but is a few floors at Canada Square in Canary Wharf which is entirely disconnected from other campuses of the university.

Warwick is a target university and has constantly been in the top 3 in terms of recruiter targets for the last 3 years or so. LSE/LBS is the most prestigious business schools followed by Judge and Said. Warwick would closely follow these universities in the next tier of top business schools. The Warwick Business School also ranks in the top 20 according to a few rankings and definitely in the top 35 regardless of the ranking.

Warwick any day would be the option to choose without doubts
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hello!

all 3 courses are very reputable. I would say Warwick is the #1 - Finance-type subjects are its speciality. Durham would be bottom but only by a whisker.
heythereitsmee
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by expatboi)
UCL is a super target, ignore the above poster, they clearly have no idea what they're on about. It's more of a target than Warwick and Durham (semi-target), second only to Oxbridge and LSE. All the banks (BB, EB) and consultancies (even MBB) target it. Same can't be said about Warwick and Durham.

UCL is more prestigious both domestically and internationally (by far). Is in the (relative) centre of London, isn't in the arse-end of nowhere, etc. Easy, easy choice is UCL imo.

Ps: Not biased as I don't go to UCL or Warwick.
Lol ! Funny review comparing UCL’s business school to that of Warwicks lol ! The business school is what’s being compared here particularly ! Warwick business school is ranked way above that of UCL. So do your research and blindly read the above review and take UCL lol.
ilililili
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by heythereitsmee)
Hi there,
So afaik, UCL is definitely a reputed and prestigious university in the UK. It is great for most things I would say, but the business school is definitely not its forte. UCL is not a target for the financial and consultancy industry. Also, the Business School at UCL is not a campus but is a few floors at Canada Square in Canary Wharf which is entirely disconnected from other campuses of the university.

Warwick is a target university and has constantly been in the top 3 in terms of recruiter targets for the last 3 years or so. LSE/LBS is the most prestigious business schools followed by Judge and Said. Warwick would closely follow these universities in the next tier of top business schools. The Warwick Business School also ranks in the top 20 according to a few rankings and definitely in the top 35 regardless of the ranking.

Warwick any day would be the option to choose without doubts
UCL is a super target, ignore the above poster, they clearly have no idea what they're on about. It's more of a target than Warwick and Durham (semi-target), second only to Oxbridge and LSE. All the banks (BB, EB) and consultancies (even MBB) target it. Same can't be said about Warwick and Durham.

UCL is more prestigious both domestically and internationally (by far). Is in the (relative) centre of London, isn't in the arse-end of nowhere, etc. Easy, easy choice is UCL imo.

Ps: Not biased as I don't go to UCL or Warwick.
I’m pretty sure ur both wrong (from what I’ve read) and both UCL and Warwick are equally targeted with Durham as a semi target.

OP choose between ucl and Warwick based on non career factors
Last edited by ilililili; 1 year ago
xtrembob
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'll give you a more nuanced view on this now that I am in IB and I am done with my studies. I had offers from 2 out of 3 from these universities for indentical/similar courses. I am an IB analyst and would take seriously anyone from these unis so imo it's not worth picking based on placement.

I would say UCL=Warwick>Durham for IB. Yes UCL may place slightly more people to EBs, but the culture there is much more cut throat and competitive if you are not a top candidate. I would not honestly make my descision just based on placement in IB. If you want to do MBB, I'd recommend going to UCL it is unarguably more targetted than Warwick although few students from Warwick/Durham make it every year.

Now for key conisderations:
- Where you live: London (UCL) vs Campus Uni (Warwick) vs Small City Uni (Durham), this will impact your friends, lifestyle, COSTS.
- What you study: do you really want to do stats all day? because that will be the case at UCL.

These should be the two factors you should care most about rather than IB placement from these universities. If you have any questions shoot! And congratulations on both offers, I'm sure that you'll do well at any of these places.
xtrembob
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Go for a linkedin search. MBB prefer UCL to Warwick. Same with EBs. Sure they're equally targeted for most banks - but the difference is UCL is preferred as it's a better uni.

UCL is of a much higher repute than Warwick. That isn't disputable. They're looking at the overall strength of your university, not the individual strength of your course.

The business schools aren't being compared. The OP's interested in which will place him best into finance / consultancy. You said UCL [the business school] weren't targeted for that. All of UCL is super-targeted by banks. It's the best university in the UK besides Oxbridge and is recognized as such by employers.. Linkedin searches are your best friend.

Ultimately you can go into banking from both. But if you want to give yourself the best shot, UCL imo and it isn't close. Better uni, in London for recruiting, places better at top places, has a much stronger reputation.
I hope I'll never have an analyst like you as an associate because you are opinionated and sound boring as **** if I may.
Last edited by xtrembob; 1 year ago
Sim0nbo55
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My sister is an analyst and she went to UCL.
It is much more targeted than the others as its in London therefore more networking events are available. As for the course it really doesnt matter, its all about the unis reputation as a whole, UCL arguably has the best reputation, best in the country after oxbridge and imperial. At the end of the day tho its all about where your gut tells you to go, you dont want to go to a uni just because its 'targeted' and be miserable for 3 years and get a poor grade. You can still go to banking with a strong 2.1 from a non target uni. Prioritise happiness over everything else and the rest will fall into place
rob1060
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hello!

Depending on what you want to do going forward, UCL is marginally better than the other two.

BUT, all 3 are great universities and you will make friends and have a fantastic time in each.

Don’t get too bogged down by others getting offers from the same school and exclusivity, go where you feel most comfortable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (59)
28.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.32%
No I am happy with my choice (115)
56.1%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.8%

Watched Threads