There is no evidence that people have gained immunity from coronavirus

Watch
username4867806
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
https://www.who.int/news-room/commen...xt-of-covid-19

What do you make of this? Is it likely that they should have had evidence of this by now?
TheMcSame
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I don't know tbh. One could make the point that if we knew for sure, we'd also have antibody tests, right? Or is there a slice of logic I'm missing there?
Greywolf.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
It has been proven in South Korea that you could get it more than once but rate of infection will be significantly lower
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Well they can't intentionally infect recovered people with the coronavirus to check for immunity so I imagine the sample size isn't great
TheMcSame
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Greywolftwo)
It has been proven in South Korea that you could get it more than once but rate of infection will be significantly lower
Has it actually been proven to be a repeat infection and not just false positive though?
Greywolf.
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by TheMcSame)
Has it actually been proven to be a repeat infection and not just false positive though?
Repeat infections
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Well they can't intentionally infect recovered people with the coronavirus to check for immunity so I imagine the sample size isn't great
As in conduct a trial by infecting them you mean? Since when cant they do that?
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Napp)
As in conduct a trial by infecting them you mean? Since when cant they do that?
Well it could potentially kill them couldn't it?
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Well it could potentially kill them couldn't it?
Meh they've been conducting such trials for quite a while though. There was an interesting article on such things in last weeks Economist if memory serves.
Whilst the ethics of such trials are a bit...iffy... so long as the participants are fully informed and that, there shouldnt really be a problem.
Rawkuss
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Japan as well
username4867806
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Repeat infections
Actually, I'm fairly sure they weren't sure about the reason. It could have been false positives or negative. The virus may have never left the body in the first place.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Treetop321)
https://www.who.int/news-room/commen...xt-of-covid-19

What do you make of this? Is it likely that they should have had evidence of this by now?
It mrans there is currently no evidence and people who have had the virus should not be complacent.

What it doesn't discount is that people who have had the virus may have immunity to a second bout. We just don't know at present.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Of course they can what do you think governments are doing all day? They have shadey sh*t to fill up their time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (517)
33.72%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.36%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.35%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.57%

Watched Threads