The Student Room Group

Oxford Demystified - Earth Sciences

Scroll to see replies

Lovely to see a couple of experts helping on this thread. Good luck choosing between degrees.
Original post by Herring.pie
Thank you all for your replies (that was my first post on TSR so it's good to see it actually works!). I'll try drawing up some pathways @Headingtonian (I think I get what you meant). I agree it's difficult to tell how much I'd like topics just by the module names and a small amount of introductory reading. Thanks for the petrology info @Plagioclase; it does sound interesting (mostly...).

I'm still wondering whether I'd prefer to be classed as a scientist or a geographer. I think I prefer the scientific approach (and postgrad prospects), just I'm just possibly interested in more of the geography content (I won't say 'passionate' as it's overused - but maybe so is 'interested') and its emphasis on present/future environments and societies.

I'll probably draft PSs for Earth sci and geog and see how that influences my thinking.

Yep it's basically impossible to tell how much you'd like topics just on the basis of module names - I think one of the nice things about Earth Sciences though is that it's such a broad course, you will definitely find something that you enjoy, but of course going for a new subject you haven't studied before is a bit of a risk. In terms of further study and careers it is possible to go from Earth Sciences to Geography and vice-versa (I know examples of both) so this decision doesn't necessarily have to close doors in either case, but a less quantitative background may make your life more difficult if you decide you want to go into science later on, depending on what you want to do (again though, I know many geographers who are doing very quantitative PhDs). I would also say that there are plenty of ways to engage in the things you're interested in outside of your degree. For example, Oxford has a number of student societies on those exact kinds of issues (e.g. Climate Society, OxSID, GfGD) and there are also many, many internships available in these areas.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Plagioclase
Yep it's basically impossible to tell how much you'd like topics just on the basis of module names - I think one of the nice things about Earth Sciences though is that it's such a broad course, you will definitely find something that you enjoy, but of course going for a new subject you haven't studied before is a bit of a risk. In terms of further study and careers it is possible to go from Earth Sciences to Geography and vice-versa (I know examples of both) so this decision doesn't necessarily have to close doors in either case, but a less quantitative background may make your life more difficult if you decide you want to go into science later on, depending on what you want to do (again though, I know many geographers who are doing very quantitative PhDs). I would also say that there are plenty of ways to engage in the things you're interested in outside of your degree. For example, Oxford has a number of student societies on those exact kinds of issues (e.g. Climate Society, OxSID, GfGD) and there are also many, many internships available in these areas.

PRSOM. It's reassuring to know you can change courses like this, if you feel you have made a mistake.

Also here is a list of Oxford societies to look at :

https://www.oxfordsu.org/communities/clubs-and-socs/

There are enough of them to float anybody's boat!
Hi there, I'm considering doing a degree in Earth sciences, but I am a bit worried about Job prospects? If you do find me asking, what ere the job prospects with this degree and how well paid are they? Thanks:smile:

P.S thanks for creating this thread- very informative!
Original post by vix.xvi
Hi there, I'm considering doing a degree in Earth sciences, but I am a bit worried about Job prospects? If you do find me asking, what ere the job prospects with this degree and how well paid are they? Thanks:smile:

In terms of careers that are directly related to the degree, they include academia and research, consultancies (environmental, geotechnical, geophysical etc.), the environmental sector more generally, and of course the traditional energy (oil & gas) and mining sectors although I think these are becoming less attractive for obvious reasons. Earth Sciences is a quantitative degree so there are many, many more careers available to you that require graduates with good quantitative, analytical skills rather than a specific degree. At least for Oxford, I think general career prospects and expected salaries are similar to the other physical sciences. I think the Earth Sciences course at Oxford is pretty research-focused compared to similar courses at some other universities and I know a couple of people who felt that this disadvantaged them when applying to some industry jobs. To what extent this is actually true, I'm not sure, it definitely isn't the case that you shouldn't apply here if you want to go into industry (many people go into industry), just something to be aware of that it is a very academic course. For instance I felt like doing a PhD was the natural progression for me from finishing this course.

If you're asking more generally about Earth Sciences (rather than just at Oxford), I think most of the above still applies. I think Earth Sciences/Geology is on par with most other physical sciences for graduate prospects. As with most subjects, what you actually do with your time at university (internships, extracurriculars, projects, your results) is probably more important than the degree title.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Plagioclase
In terms of careers that are directly related to the degree, they include academia and research, consultancies (environmental, geotechnical, geophysical etc.), the environmental sector more generally, and of course the traditional energy (oil & gas) and mining sectors although I think these are becoming less attractive for obvious reasons. Earth Sciences is a quantitative degree so there are many, many more careers available to you that require graduates with good quantitative, analytical skills rather than a specific degree. At least for Oxford, I think general career prospects and expected salaries are similar to the other physical sciences. I think the Earth Sciences course at Oxford is pretty research-focused compared to similar courses at some other universities and I know a couple of people who felt that this disadvantaged them when applying to some industry jobs. To what extent this is actually true, I'm not sure, it definitely isn't the case that you shouldn't apply here if you want to go into industry (many people go into industry), just something to be aware of that it is a very academic course. For instance I felt like doing a PhD was the natural progression for me from finishing this course.

If you're asking more generally about Earth Sciences (rather than just at Oxford), I think most of the above still applies. I think Earth Sciences/Geology is on par with most other physical sciences for graduate prospects. As with most subjects, what you actually do with your time at university (internships, extracurriculars, projects, your results) is probably more important than the degree title.

great, thank you so much! I'm definitely very interested now in this subject!
also, sorry to disturb you again but what kind of work experience did you do? I tried searching for some but the only kind of work experience I can find is related to geography? Thanks!
Original post by vix.xvi
also, sorry to disturb you again but what kind of work experience did you do? I tried searching for some but the only kind of work experience I can find is related to geography? Thanks!

I really wouldn't say that work experience is needed for applying to Earth Sciences, so I wouldn't worry too much. I was lucky in that I did a few days preparing rocks for thin sections (where you look at a rock down the microscope) and another couple of days in a geography department looking at dust samples? I briefly mentioned the former in my personal statement but not the dust one. Neither were particularly helpful in me deciding to do earth sciences, or that representative of what I've done in the degree. If you have a university near you then you could try emailing a professor who studies something you are interested in to see if they have any work, but it's probably unlikely this summer due to coronavirus...
Original post by vix.xvi

You don't need work experience (the only courses you're expected to have work experience for are vocational courses like medicine). I did something similar to Headingtonian in that I week at UCL's Earth Sciences department shadowing a master's student (which in practice involved spending a week in a walk-in freezer shoving ice cubes through sieves to make artificial ice cores which we then crushed with massive crushing machines, one of the more bizarre things I've done) and also spent an odd week doing 'work experience' at the Natural History Museum. Although both were interesting experiences I didn't even put them down on my personal statement. If you can get yourself a shadowing placement at a local uni then why not, but it's more for your own personal benefit rather than for your application!

Edit: As Headingtonian also rightly points out there's no way you'll be able to do it this summer regardless. Reading is more helpful anyway!
Reply 29
how much geography do y'all study?
Reply 30
Original post by vix.xvi

Hey, so I did a little research on careers.

You can become a geoscientist, which has a fairly well paying salary in the US(75k-120k USD i believe). You can also work in petrology, which is a pretty lucrative field. I think that these are the two most well paying jobs in this field.
Original post by hmmm101
how much geography do y'all study?

It's not really a question that you can easily answer because there's no hard boundary between aspects of geology and physical geography. But I don't think there's a lot of overlap between our Earth Sciences course and most Geography courses - thematic overlap yes, but very different perspectives. For example both Earth Sciences and Geography will cover climate change, but Geography will be more concerned about impacts and specifically about anthropogenic climate change whereas in Earth Sciences we main look at it from an Earth systems and palaeoclimate perspective.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending