soph.ac
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hey everyone. I don't know if I'm in the right forum to be asking this, but what would the end result 'title' be if I studied Medicine BM6 Widening Participation*(BMBS) at university? Would it be doctor or something else? The course is 6 years long and I'm planning to do it in the near future (in about 2 years roughly). I do a L2 h&sc in college currently but want to take 1 year out of college and then go back.

Also, if I was to study Level 3 Access to Higher Education (Nursing and Healthcare professions) which is 1 year at college, would I be able to use this alongside my Level 2 Diploma in Health and Social Care? I want to do this after a year away from college - but my mum says I can only do the 1 year out from college and then the Access to HE if I have a job (which I'm hoping I can get the one I'm looking at once this Covid-19 business is over and I can have an interview. The interview got cancelled).

Thanks for reading my long post. The uni that I'm interested in hasn't been much help - they don't explain things very well in emails. I'm planning to go to one of the open days to hopefully get a bit more information. But it would be great if someone could help me out. Thanks!
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by soph.ac)
Hey everyone. I don't know if I'm in the right forum to be asking this, but what would the end result 'title' be if I studied Medicine BM6 Widening Participation*(BMBS) at university? Would it be doctor or something else?...
Yes assuming that you have successfully completed the course and passed all your exams, you'll be eligible to apply for a Foundation Year 1 doctor post when you graduated from the BM6 course, just like graduates of BM4 / BM5 and other medical degrees.
soph.ac
Rep:
?
Oh okay. Thanks What's the difference between the BM4/BM5/BM6? (sorry for all the questions!)
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by soph.ac)
Oh okay. Thanks What's the difference between the BM4/BM5/BM6? (sorry for all the questions!)
BM4 is Graduate Entry Medicine (GEM) for those with a degree already. It's BM4 because it's 4 years in length

BM5 is standard undergraduate medicine, mostly for A-Level students. It's BM5 because it's 5 years in length.

BM6 is in effect Medicine with a Foundation Year, for people with the specific criteria. It's not open access. Guess why it's BM6! :lol:

Note: only Southampton uses this "BM" system. Most med schools call their GEM A101 and their standard med course A100. There are notable exceptions like Manchester calling their standard med course A106 or HYMS calling their Foundation Year course A101.
Last edited by ecolier; 5 months ago
soph.ac
Rep:
?
Thank you! You've cleared up the confusion. 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (100)
13.28%
I'm not sure (32)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (236)
31.34%
I have already dropped out (18)
2.39%
I'm not a current university student (367)
48.74%

Watched Threads