Coronavirus and BTEC Exam Uncertainty?

Watch
willbailey123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hello.

I am in Year 12 and was due to take the two exams (proper not mock) this year for the BTEC National Dipoma in Business being:

Unit 2 - Developing a Marketing Campaign
Unit 3 - Finance

My centre have been totally useless and have totally left the BTEC students in the mud, there are only 5 of us and we have literally been disregarded.

I have been informed that I will have to take the exam in either January or next summer and am thinking of writing a formal complaint to the exam officer or perhaps the exam board/Ofqual as I believe this is totally unfair and will hinder our progression with other units and thus Uni choices - the UK Gov stated that all students 'will get the grades they deserve' and this is counter-intuitive of that.

What rights do I have here because surely I am entitled to grades? I have completed Unit 1 and gone full marks in every internal assessment for assignments and have achieved next to full marks in all internal mocks for the exams.

Not completing Unit 2 and 3 and not getting these grades will mean that I have only completed one unit in a year, which is a shambles from my centre.

As they have said no, where can I take my concern from here? Having revised endlessly this is ridiculous? Any advice would be appreciated and wondered if anyone else was in the same ship in Year 12 currently?
bamtutor
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by willbailey123)
Hello.

I am in Year 12 and was due to take the two exams (proper not mock) this year for the BTEC National Dipoma in Business being:

Unit 3 - Finance

My centre have been totally useless and have totally left the BTEC students in the mud, there are only 5 of us and we have literally been disregarded.

I have been informed that I will have to take the exam in either January or next summer and am thinking of writing a formal complaint to the exam officer or perhaps the exam board/Ofqual as I believe this is totally unfair and will hinder our progression with other units and thus Uni choices - the UK Gov stated that all students 'will get the grades they deserve' and this is counter-intuitive of that.

What rights do I have here because surely I am entitled to grades? I have completed Unit 1 and gone full marks in every internal assessment for assignments and have achieved next to full marks in all internal mocks for the exams.

Not completing Unit 2 and 3 and not getting these grades will mean that I have only completed one unit in a year, which is a shambles from my centre.

As they have said no, where can I take my concern from here? Having revised endlessly this is ridiculous? Any advice would be appreciated and wondered if anyone else was in the same ship in Year 12 currently?
Firstly, I do appreciate that you feel aggrieved, but this is not the fault of your Teachers / Pearson/ Ofqual or anyone else. EVERY Vocational student in the country is 'in the same ship". This Covid 19 virus is unprecedented and as such everyone is working to try and ensure all learners are given a realistic grade and no one will be disadvantaged. If you are leaving this year, then you will receive PREDICTED GRADE for the exams. If this is lower than you think you deserve, then you will be able to take the exams at a later date (could be September this year or later). There is still no way of knowing when schools and colleges will restart this year. If you still have another year to go, then you will be able to sit the exams on January and as such you will get the grade you 'earn'. Either way, all Universities and Colleges will be understanding and make exceptions where they can. Unfortunately, Ofqual have still not fully decided how to award BTEC grades (all schools and colleges are submitting feedback to Ofqual by the 8th May and it will be after then before we are told the final outcome). https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...Q6EXRjqN0TpT60
You will be treated fairly, but unlike A levels (where it is quite straightforward) there are over 10000 Vocational courses delivered by a large number of exam boards, so it is more complex to sort out.
Have a look at the Pearson website to see what centres are being told; https://www.pearson.com/uk/educators...oKCXu-fuxoIp7c
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by willbailey123)
Hello.

Unit 3 - Finance

What bamtutor said. You are blaming the wrong people.
Why do you think the centre is to blame for covid 19?
You do realise thousands are dying?
What rights do you think you should have? Have your human rights been abused?
You are only Y12, so either they will give you a calculated grade or you can sit the rescheduled exam.
Theres plenty of time to catch up or get ahead.
You do understand you are competing against your peers?
willbailey123
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
What bamtutor said. You are blaming the wrong people.
Why do you think the centre is to blame for covid 19?
You do realise thousands are dying?
What rights do you think you should have? Have your human rights been abused?
You are only Y12, so either they will give you a calculated grade or you can sit the rescheduled exam.
Theres plenty of time to catch up or get ahead.
You do understand you are competing against your peers?
1) I appreciate that
2) I didn't blame my centre for covid 19 I blamed them for poor communication with students who are not taking A-Levels
3) I do realise that and respect this but I still believe despite the circumstances there should be more communication to students taking vocational qualifications and not just A-Levels.
4) I believe that I and other BTEC students taking exams have a right to a forecasted grade
5) This may be the case although in my POV I was due to sit the exam so should be treated no differently
6) Respected
7) How am I competing against my peers? Please explain.
willbailey123
Rep:
?
(Original post by bamtutor)
Firstly, I do appreciate that you feel aggrieved, but this is not the fault of your Teachers / Pearson/ Ofqual or anyone else. EVERY Vocational student in the country is 'in the same ship". This Covid 19 virus is unprecedented and as such everyone is working to try and ensure all learners are given a realistic grade and no one will be disadvantaged. If you are leaving this year, then you will receive PREDICTED GRADE for the exams. If this is lower than you think you deserve, then you will be able to take the exams at a later date (could be September this year or later). There is still no way of knowing when schools and colleges will restart this year. If you still have another year to go, then you will be able to sit the exams on January and as such you will get the grade you 'earn'. Either way, all Universities and Colleges will be understanding and make exceptions where they can. Unfortunately, Ofqual have still not fully decided how to award BTEC grades (all schools and colleges are submitting feedback to Ofqual by the 8th May and it will be after then before we are told the final outcome). https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...Q6EXRjqN0TpT60
You will be treated fairly, but unlike A levels (where it is quite straightforward) there are over 10000 Vocational courses delivered by a large number of exam boards, so it is more complex to sort out.
Have a look at the Pearson website to see what centres are being told; https://www.pearson.com/uk/educators...oKCXu-fuxoIp7c
Thank you for this very informative
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (252)
57.01%
I don't have everything I need (190)
42.99%

Watched Threads