16uahmed
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I really don't understand this question, help, please!!

A car of mass 1,000 kg begins stationary on a road at the top of a mountain, at a height h = 3,000 m. The car then rolls freely down a winding road, travelling a total distance of 5 km, to reach the height h = 2,000 m. Assume g = 9.8 ms-2:

How much energy did the car lose on descent? Give you answer to 3 significant figures, with units.

The answer is: 9,800,000 J

but I just don't get it.
Roasted Potato
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Okay its like a little bit of trick question bear with

As something is held at a height it has gravitational potential energy right, and then as it falls this is transferred into kinetic energy. In this case some energy has been lost because if the energy had been completely transferred the car would have gone up 3000km on the other side but it only reached 2000km. Losing 1000km of height

Using mgh as energy you should be able to solve the question. I don't want to give you the answer so its a little cryptic ik but if you need it explained more lmk
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Roasted Potato)

As something is held at a height it has gravitational potential energy right, and then as it falls this is transferred into kinetic energy. In this case some energy has been lost because if the energy had been completely transferred the car would have gone up 3000km on the other side but it only reached 2000km. Losing 1000km of height

Using mgh as energy you should be able to solve the question. I don't want to give you the answer so its a little cryptic ik but if you need it explained more lmk
Its not a trick question

16uahmed
Its a simple energy question, all you need to know is how to calculate potential energy, and find the numbers from the question.
nopey123
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
This might help
E = mg∆h
Last edited by nopey123; 7 months ago
Roasted Potato
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by mnot)
Its not a trick question

16uahmed
Its a simple energy question, all you need to know is how to calculate potential energy, and find the numbers from the question.
The first thing I thought was a SUVAT problem and if like me you get super into the maths and don't always read a question properly it feels like a trick question as it is perceived harder than it actually is using SUVAT would be very hard and not necessary. Its just my opinion tbh, no hatin'
nopey123
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Roasted Potato)

Your right about it being cryptic.
Why the **** do they need so many words

Most people dont realise its E =m•g•∆h , I dont know why they teach E = mgh .
Last edited by nopey123; 7 months ago
16uahmed
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by mnot)
Its not a trick question

16uahmed
thanks
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Owenstampy)
Your right about it being cryptic.
Why the **** do they need so many words

Most people dont realise its E =m•g•∆h most , I dont know why they teach E = mgh .
Its about getting people to recognise what the problem is, if it was just E= mgh it would be a primary school multiplication problem, the fact they can ask you any number of mechanics based principles and you have to think critically about what principle to apply is what makes it a more complex problem.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (682)
33.76%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (860)
42.57%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (387)
19.16%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise