The Student Room Group

History at Oxford

What's history at Oxford like??
I want to apply this year for 2021. I got 8x grade 9s at GCSE and 2x 8s. I've started prep. Any advice???
I defo recommend look at @Oxford Mum book Oxford demystified history page: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6126988 and history part of history and economics by @historicism https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6438658&p=88085076#post88085076
You'll probably never have more than 4 contact hours a week so you'll spend most of your time reading in libraries. In short, most of your learning will be done independently and alone. Some people thrive with this, others find it frustrating and difficult to motivate themselves. History has a reputation for being a bit of a doss subject, with historians being those who do least work. This is not entirely true, of course, though history is perhaps one of the less demanding subjects at Oxford. In other words, you can get away with doing little work if- nobody has failed first year exams since WWII. Of course, the majority still work fairly hard. With the lack of structured teaching, history at Oxford really depends on what you make it, and what you do with your time away from studying.

As for advice, do well on the HAT and in interview you'll get a place. Practice the HAT and ask for feedback (though how to write a good answer is anyone's guess). Make sure you know your A-level content well should they ask you about it in interview (especially the topic you wrote your submitted essays about). Try and think about history as a discipline itself as well - not just about specific time periods.
Reply 3
Original post by liverninthered
You'll probably never have more than 4 contact hours a week so you'll spend most of your time reading in libraries. In short, most of your learning will be done independently and alone. Some people thrive with this, others find it frustrating and difficult to motivate themselves. History has a reputation for being a bit of a doss subject, with historians being those who do least work. This is not entirely true, of course, though history is perhaps one of the less demanding subjects at Oxford. In other words, you can get away with doing little work if- nobody has failed first year exams since WWII. Of course, the majority still work fairly hard. With the lack of structured teaching, history at Oxford really depends on what you make it, and what you do with your time away from studying.

As for advice, do well on the HAT and in interview you'll get a place. Practice the HAT and ask for feedback (though how to write a good answer is anyone's guess). Make sure you know your A-level content well should they ask you about it in interview (especially the topic you wrote your submitted essays about). Try and think about history as a discipline itself as well - not just about specific time periods.

Ahhh you're amazing thank you that was really helpful! Do you study History at Oxford? I like independent study so I think it will be fine for me. Have you got any good book recommendations for me as a prospective History student, stuff I can reference in personal statements/interviews etc.?
Original post by lily1806
Ahhh you're amazing thank you that was really helpful! Do you study History at Oxford? I like independent study so I think it will be fine for me. Have you got any good book recommendations for me as a prospective History student, stuff I can reference in personal statements/interviews etc.?

Yes I am. The best books to read would be any relating to something which interests you. In that sense I don't want to recommend specific books. I read some books about Russia but if you're more interested in British history read about that instead. If you want books about the study of history, the "classic" is Carr's What is History, though there are many more modern books along the same line which I'm sure you can find through research. Make sure your ps is academic based so discuss any wider reading and your a level topics - any other experiences you have relating to history might be useful though you don't need to have done anything as such - it's what you think not what you've done
What's history at Oxford like??
I want to apply this year for 2021. I got 8x grade 9s at GCSE and 2x 8s. I've started prep. Any advice???

Hi Lily! May I also draw your attention to a chapter on History, written by my younger son's friend, BB.

He is about to sit finals this year, and has absolutely loved his course. As a reapplicant and current student (who talks about his course) you may find it interesting. Certainly your grades are good enough, but concentrate on the HAT (history admissions test) and demonstrate your love for the subject. Look at a historical time period or character that interests you. Note the very specific interests of BB. Make sure you are not researching into "the Russian revolution", which you may have already studied at GCSE, or something vague like "the tudors". Oxford tutors enjoy the unusual.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6126988
Reply 6
Original post by liverninthered
Yes I am. The best books to read would be any relating to something which interests you. In that sense I don't want to recommend specific books. I read some books about Russia but if you're more interested in British history read about that instead. If you want books about the study of history, the "classic" is Carr's What is History, though there are many more modern books along the same line which I'm sure you can find through research. Make sure your ps is academic based so discuss any wider reading and your a level topics - any other experiences you have relating to history might be useful though you don't need to have done anything as such - it's what you think not what you've done

At the moment I don't have a specific area of history that I'm really interested in. I love everything I've studied and I've done wider research on a range of subjects. For the interviews, do I have to know about any topics in depth? For example I'm doing an online course at the moment on European Empires which I'm loving - could I bring this into my personal statement without knowing everything on it? Also what is more important, wider reading on your A-Level subjects or new areas of history?
Reply 7
Original post by Oxford Mum
Hi Lily! May I also draw your attention to a chapter on History, written by my younger son's friend, BB.

He is about to sit finals this year, and has absolutely loved his course. As a reapplicant and current student (who talks about his course) you may find it interesting. Certainly your grades are good enough, but concentrate on the HAT (history admissions test) and demonstrate your love for the subject. Look at a historical time period or character that interests you. Note the very specific interests of BB. Make sure you are not researching into "the Russian revolution", which you may have already studied at GCSE, or something vague like "the tudors". Oxford tutors enjoy the unusual.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6126988

Thank you!! That was really helpful! It's really interesting getting a student's perspective.
At the moment I don't have a specific area of history that I'm really interested in. I love everything I've studied and I've done wider research on a range of subjects. For the interviews, do I have to know about any topics in depth? For example I'm doing an online course at the moment on European Empires which I'm loving - could I bring this into my personal statement without knowing everything on it? Also what is more important, wider reading on your A-Level subjects or new areas of history?

Interviews are not principally a test of knowledge but a test of how use can use it. On your q on European empires, definitely but it would be in your interest to understand the topic and its themes and have some ideas, even if you don't know specific facts figures dates etc. As for the last question it's hard to give a definitive answer - the former would be more important if it came up in interview, the latter more important for developing a wider understanding of history.

Quick Reply

Latest