hpatch
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi,
I am looking to do a PGCE in PE, however I did not do a degree in a PE/Sport related subject. My degree is a 1st hons in Human Resource Management (business). I did a GCSE in PE, which I got an A* but I never took it further. I am a swim teacher and have my Level 2 Qualification for that. I also have my Level 1 Coaching qualification & Coached my Uni waterpolo team for three years. Is there anyway I can do a PGCE in PE? Any advise would be really helpful
Calmapal
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hey!

My partner recently applied for a Maths PGCE and she got an offer without doing a degree in a maths related subject, although she does need to do a subject enhancement course.

However, as you already teach swimming etc I think you’re probably in quite a good position. It only costs £1 and a few hours of time so why not throw in the application?
sp00kymcflukey
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Every man and his dog wants to be a PE teacher, so unfortunately you won't be able to train as a PE teacher without a sports science background. You could look into training for another subject route, qualifying and then asking your school to give you some PE classes, provided you have the subject knowledge. This is still unlikely as you'd be competing against sports scientists.

PE is a hugely oversubscribed subject and many PE teachers have to teach Science or Geography since there are often too many PE teachers within departments. Even getting work as a cover supervisor for PE is tough.
hpatch
Rep:
?
(Original post by Calmapal)
Hey!

My partner recently applied for a Maths PGCE and she got an offer without doing a degree in a maths related subject, although she does need to do a subject enhancement course.

However, as you already teach swimming etc I think you’re probably in quite a good position. It only costs £1 and a few hours of time so why not throw in the application?
Hey, thanks for your comment. I could do a business PGCE (with my degree) or Chemistry/Geography (A levels) if I did a SKE. It is just adding the PE that seems to be the problem, well via an official route anyway
hpatch
Rep:
?
(Original post by sp00kymcflukey)
Every man and his dog wants to be a PE teacher, so unfortunately you won't be able to train as a PE teacher without a sports science background. You could look into training for another subject route, qualifying and then asking your school to give you some PE classes, provided you have the subject knowledge. This is still unlikely as you'd be competing against sports scientists.

PE is a hugely oversubscribed subject and many PE teachers have to teach Science or Geography since there are often too many PE teachers within departments. Even getting work as a cover supervisor for PE is tough.
Thanks for your insight I have thought about doing a Geography PGCE and then seeing if I can teach some PE but as you said it is really competitive. I don't want to start teacher training if I couldn't do PE.
lozzielizzie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
PE oversubscribed and underfunded in most schools. Am training currently and it is hard to get a job as although jobs come up not as many as other subjects and then your up against when going for jobs. PE also doesn’t get any bursary, so you only get a loan.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (71)
12.18%
Virtual campus tours/open days (142)
24.36%
Live streaming events (51)
8.75%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
9.43%
A uni comparison tool (135)
23.16%
An in-person event when available (129)
22.13%