The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Anyone going to be doing business/finance/economics in September?

I've got an offer for Finance and Economics :smile: Just looking for people in the same boat as me really.
Original post by ExeterTom
I've got an offer for Finance and Economics :smile: Just looking for people in the same boat as me really.

I'm not but I am just finishing up my finance degree, which had an Economics module - so feel free to ask me anything if you fancy a chat about it! I still love the subject, which is lucky considering I'm going to be working in finance for the foreseeable future :smile: let me know if you have any questions about work experience or jobseeking!
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by IdioticApple
I'm not but I am just finishing up my finance degree, which had an Economics module - so feel free to ask me anything if you fancy a chat about it! I still love the subject, which is lucky considering I'm going to be working in finance for the foreseeable future :smile: let me know if you have any questions about work experience or jobseeking!

Hey, I'm doing a 3 year bachelors in finance and economics, do you think I should consider increasing that to a 4 year course with either an integrated masters or year in industry (or a 5 year course with both?) thanks
Original post by ExeterTom
Hey, I'm doing a 3 year bachelors in finance and economics, do you think I should consider increasing that to a 4 year course with either an integrated masters or year in industry (or a 5 year course with both?) thanks

Hey! I'd definitely recommend getting a year in industry if you don't have much experience of Economics or Finance in the workplace yet - when I started my degree I didn't have any experience either but doing some short jobs and also doing a placement (year in industry) was invaluable - both for figuring out what I did and didn't like and also gaining experience before I looked for my grad job - and it also helped me gain loads of contacts and opportunities through them on LinkedIn and by going to various events. My uni held "Meet the Employer" events and days to help us get talking to potential companies, which was incredibly useful!

In terms of doing a Master's, that's very much up to you - I don't want to continue in education and wanted to get into earning some money, which was also why I took a year out - plus second year was a decent step up from first year, and I pushed HARD so I felt I wanted a year away from uni studies and a break! For finance, doing a Master's isn't really necessary in most cases but I'm considering coming back and doing one part-time alongside work in the future if it's needed then, but most graduate schemes are very happy to take you on with just the undergraduate.

Also I don't know what your aspirations are and what uni you'll be attending but most of the time, it's best to take modules that interest you and not just go for exemptions, as the exemption modules can be a little bit dry (e.g. Further Tax), though they are useful! I imagine with Economics alongside you might be looking for a more split experience so perhaps that won't matter too much anyway, but yeah - try your best to enjoy it if you can?!

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending