MrRazor
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Trying to figure out the 3 factors that I should use for this question:

Evaluate the view that the EU’s impact on the UK government is highly significant.

Thank you!!!
username4406810
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MrRazor)
Trying to figure out the 3 factors that I should use for this question:

Evaluate the view that the EU’s impact on the UK government is highly significant.

Thank you!!!
Is this a 9 or 25 marker?
Which exam board?
MrRazor
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by proudmonkey)
Is this a 9 or 25 marker?
Which exam board?
30 marker actually. Edexcel.

I’m just looking for the 3 factors really that i could argue for & against.
milliewastestime
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
1. Source of the constitution, so constitutionally we are bound to the EU. Counter: plenty of other sources and bc we’re uncodified, we can be more flexible in the future and eventually cut out EU as a source.
2. We have the ECHR as our main human rights legislation (even our own human rights act Blair did was just making the ECHR law). It impacts the Supreme Court when making decisions - look for any SC human rights case. Counter: Tory party wanted to remove this and replace with British bill of rights
3. EU law is sovereign to our own (look into disputes around fishing for example) so effects our law makers and arguably restricts them. Counter: Brexit means UK govt can soon decide whether we want to keep any EU laws or disregard them (this is a weak point ngl I’d try to think of a better one).

Hope this helps, I only did like 1 lesson on the EU so I don’t know everything but it should be enough
Young_
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by milliewastestime)
1. Source of the constitution, so constitutionally we are bound to the EU. Counter: plenty of other sources and bc we’re uncodified, we can be more flexible in the future and eventually cut out EU as a source.
2. We have the ECHR as our main human rights legislation (even our own human rights act Blair did was just making the ECHR law). It impacts the Supreme Court when making decisions - look for any SC human rights case. Counter: Tory party wanted to remove this and replace with British bill of rights
3. EU law is sovereign to our own (look into disputes around fishing for example) so effects our law makers and arguably restricts them. Counter: Brexit means UK govt can soon decide whether we want to keep any EU laws or disregard them (this is a weak point ngl I’d try to think of a better one).

Hope this helps, I only did like 1 lesson on the EU so I don’t know everything but it should be enough
The 2nd point is false. The ECHR isn't part of the EU, it's from the Council of Europe which is a separate institution. A better counter to the 3rd point would also be that Britain can get out of most laws passed in the EU Parliament, making it not highly significant.
milliewastestime
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Young_)
The 2nd point is false. The ECHR isn't part of the EU, it's from the Council of Europe which is a separate institution. A better counter to the 3rd point would also be that Britain can get out of most laws passed in the EU Parliament, making it not highly significant.
Ah you’re right! Thanks for clearing that up, I’ve left sixth form and I’ve started to forget everything haha x
Young_
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by milliewastestime)
Ah you’re right! Thanks for clearing that up, I’ve left sixth form and I’ve started to forget everything haha x
No problem
bobbybrown12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Young_)
Wasn’t the HRA 1998 influence by the ECHR?
Young_
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bobbybrown12)
Wasn’t the HRA 1998 influence by the ECHR?
The European Court of Human Rights is part of the Council of Europe. It's used to enforce the HRA 1998. The European Court of Justice is the supreme court of the EU. The ECHR isn't part of the EU in any way.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (10)
31.25%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (2)
6.25%
No I am happy with my choice (18)
56.25%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (2)
6.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed