student15154
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi all,
When it comes to a placement year at uni, is it usually in the same city you're studying or is it somewhere else? If so, then are there any funding available for accomodation etc? Does student finance applies to this?
Thanks.
Anonymous #1
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by student15154)
Hi all,
When it comes to a placement year at uni, is it usually in the same city you're studying or is it somewhere else? If so, then are there any funding available for accomodation etc? Does student finance applies to this?
Thanks.
Hi, it depends on what you want. Some students want to stay local as it's a chance to stay with family for a while/save money, some see it as an opportunity to try somewhere new. I did mine in London as my family helped me financially. I don't think student finance covered out placement year because it wasn't a year of tuition, there were no real tuition fees. Not sure about maintenance loans. Most of us had paid placements and funded things from that.
bits.of.bio
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi all,
Thanks.
I did my placement year about 3 hours away from my uni an this was pretty standard, people literally go all over the world, but it's up to you where you apply. I applied to my placement partly because it was nearer home than my uni is. You will be offered a tuition fee loan usually uni fees are around 15% of a normal year cost. And a reduced maintenance loan, i think max was like £3000? Many placements are paid (mine was around £17k so i didn't take the maintenance loan) but some are unpaid, for these some offer room and board in leiu of payment, but this is rare. The abroad ones you do get an erasmus loan but as this is EU funded who knows how long it will be around for?!. They will be advertised as paid or not so just apply to placements you have the means for.
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi all,
Thanks.
Hi student student15154,

I am Millie a final year student representative at Hull who undertook a placement year. When taking a placement year we were encouraged to apply where we wished. My placement was based in Coventry and required me to move here from Hull! We received a maintenance loan of ~£2600 (if I remember correctly!) and fees were charged at 15% of the usual costs (as we had academic support throughout). Most placements are however paid- Mine was around £16,000 which is how I paid my rent! However, do consider this when applying for roles in more expensive cities.

If you have any further questions then please let me know?

Millie
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi all,
Thanks.
Hi student15154!

I am currently in second year and still trying to get a placement and I am apply to places near my Uni and also near home. For the funding aspect, I'm only applying to placements which are paid as I will need this money for commuting or rent if I get one near my Uni city. You can apply for student finance for your placement year but I believe the amount you are given is less than how much you are given when you are studying. So I'd definitely recommend looking into paid placements and also seeing how much student finance you are entitled if you do one. Definitely look at placements in a variety of places (maybe even cheaper cities so commuting and rent is cheaper or maybe somewhere close to home so you don't have to pay rent if that's what your living situation is like).

I hope this advice helps

Erin - Official Student Rep
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi all,
Thanks.
Hi student15154

I am Arsh a final year Financial Economics student at Coventry with a year in industry. I applied all over UK for my placement as it increases your chance of getting one. I found my placement at Siemens in Lincoln so, I had to move there. My placement was paid so I was using that to fund my accommodation however, we do received a little sum of maintenance loan. I didn't have any fees to pay that year as Coventry University does not charge students if they are on placement even though they were supporting me throughout the placement and even came to visit me at work. Therefore, my salary was sufficient for me during my placement year and was able to save some too.

Feel free to ask any more questions you may have.

Arsh Shaikh
Financial Economics
Coventry University campus
student15154
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors)
Hi student15154

I am Arsh a final year Financial Economics student at Coventry with a year in industry. I applied all over UK for my placement as it increases your chance of getting one. I found my placement at Siemens in Lincoln so, I had to move there. My placement was paid so I was using that to fund my accommodation however, we do received a little sum of maintenance loan. I didn't have any fees to pay that year as Coventry University does not charge students if they are on placement even though they were supporting me throughout the placement and even came to visit me at work. Therefore, my salary was sufficient for me during my placement year and was able to save some too.

Feel free to ask any more questions you may have.

Arsh Shaikh
Financial Economics
Coventry University campus
Regarding the accomodation, is it possible to apply for student halls while on placement? Or would I have to look for a private room?
Thanks
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Regarding the accomodation, is it possible to apply for student halls while on placement? Or would I have to look for a private room?
Thanks
Hi,

I guess it depends on the University and halls' policies. From my experience, at Coventry University you retain valid student status for the duration of your placement year. I did my placement in Warwick and in my placement cohort, students were renting a place at halls in Warwick and there were no issues with that. I recommend checking with halls provider on a case-by-case basis.

I hope you find it helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions about placements, happy to help!

Kind regards,

Monika
LLB International Law
Coventry Campus
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (686)
33.89%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (860)
42.49%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (387)
19.12%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.5%

Watched Threads