The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Leniency in grade conditions for University of York

I’m currently having a crisis in that there is no in between in universities I applied for as potential insurance choices and those I applied for as aspirational. University of York is easily my favourite of the 5, however it’s the hardest to get into with AAA. With everything going on with grading right now, I’m worried my teachers won’t even give me my UCAS predicted grades which are AAB. Does anyone know if the university is lenient on its grades?
In 2016 I was accepted into my course at York with BBC for an AAB course. However a) that was a fair few years ago now b) the course isn’t super popular and c) I think it’s gonna be pretty impossible to work out how universities are going to manage admissions this year due to the whole COVID situation.

For what it’s worth, I would say just firm and insure the universities you genuinely want to go to - there’s so many possibilities (that you’ll achieve your grades, that you won’t but you’ll still be accepted etc) that you might as well choose your favourite unis to give yourself a chance of getting in, and then do lots of research into clearing and/or gap years so that if it comes to that then you’re well informed.
University of York
York
Original post by BlueEyedGirl_
In 2016 I was accepted into my course at York with BBC for an AAB course. However a) that was a fair few years ago now b) the course isn’t super popular and c) I think it’s gonna be pretty impossible to work out how universities are going to manage admissions this year due to the whole COVID situation.

For what it’s worth, I would say just firm and insure the universities you genuinely want to go to - there’s so many possibilities (that you’ll achieve your grades, that you won’t but you’ll still be accepted etc) that you might as well choose your favourite unis to give yourself a chance of getting in, and then do lots of research into clearing and/or gap years so that if it comes to that then you’re well informed.

Totally agree that it's course dependent, I didn't get in with ABB to an AAB course (got the paper remarked and went up to AAB and they accepted me the year later). My course is fairly small and popular so perhaps they were more strict.
It probably depends on what the other people also applying get awarded by their schools unfortunately.

Original post by bits.of.bio
Totally agree that it's course dependent, I didn't get in with ABB to an AAB course (got the paper remarked and went up to AAB and they accepted me the year later). My course is fairly small and popular so perhaps they were more strict.
It probably depends on what the other people also applying get awarded by their schools unfortunately.

Hi to you both! I'm also hoping to go to York in September and was wondering what subjects you guys studied? I'm asking since I've applied for Politics and Philosophy however it doesn't seem as though I'll meet my offer and am now worried about how competitive/popular the course is and how likely I am to still be accepted.
Original post by Platypie
Hi to you both! I'm also hoping to go to York in September and was wondering what subjects you guys studied? I'm asking since I've applied for Politics and Philosophy however it doesn't seem as though I'll meet my offer and am now worried about how competitive/popular the course is and how likely I am to still be accepted.

I studied Social and Political Sciences - honestly I know it’s hard but try not to stress, it is completely out of your hands! If you are worried, research clearing and other universities so that if you do have to go through it (of course not saying you will!), it will be a less stressful experience :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by alfonsi
I’m currently having a crisis in that there is no in between in universities I applied for as potential insurance choices and those I applied for as aspirational. University of York is easily my favourite of the 5, however it’s the hardest to get into with AAA. With everything going on with grading right now, I’m worried my teachers won’t even give me my UCAS predicted grades which are AAB. Does anyone know if the university is lenient on its grades?

I agree with what BlueEyedGirl said below. York was one of my 5 choices but I don't know why I didn't firm it instead of Leeds. TL;DR I got rejected by Leeds and got into Essex (my insurance) but didn't want to go there so phoned York on clearing to get a place on Social and Political Sciences which I'm studying now and they wanted BBC which is exactly what I got. They normally ask for AAB. I originally applied for History and Politics but had a change of heart.

This year's admission is going to be very problematic due to the current coronavirus pandemic but I'm sure they'll take the current situation into deep consideration about how to manage admissions.

Reply 6
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
I agree with what BlueEyedGirl said below. York was one of my 5 choices but I don't know why I didn't firm it instead of Leeds. TL;DR I got rejected by Leeds and got into Essex (my insurance) but didn't want to go there so phoned York on clearing to get a place on Social and Political Sciences which I'm studying now and they wanted BBC which is exactly what I got. They normally ask for AAB. I originally applied for History and Politics but had a change of heart.

This year's admission is going to be very problematic due to the current coronavirus pandemic but I'm sure they'll take the current situation into deep consideration about how to manage admissions.

Do you think I should firm York then regardless of my worries? The only thing is that Kent is offering ABB if I make them my firm, however I’d still rather go to York. I’m just pretty certain I won’t end up with AAA.
Reply 7
Original post by alfonsi
Do you think I should firm York then regardless of my worries? The only thing is that Kent is offering ABB if I make them my firm, however I’d still rather go to York. I’m just pretty certain I won’t end up with AAA.

This isn't an easy decision ofc. If your heart is definitely set on York, I would make them your firm and I would recommend an insurance choice that is in line with your predicted grades ideally and failing that, at least lower than what your firm wants. It would be stupid to make a uni your insurance choice when it has wants higher grades than your firm. Hope this helps and good luck! :smile:
I would also firm York, I am there now and I know lots of people where they accepted them despite missing the offer by 1/2 grades.
You should check to see if your course was in clearing for York last year - that will give you an indication if they will be flexible with grades
Reply 9
Original post by user186934
I would also firm York, I am there now and I know lots of people where they accepted them despite missing the offer by 1/2 grades.
You should check to see if your course was in clearing for York last year - that will give you an indication if they will be flexible with grades

Thanks! The only thing holding me back is the grade drop Kent offered, lowering it to ABB, but if it’s worth the risk then it’s worth the risk. My course is Psychology which is highly competitive though, so slightly worrying.
Reply 10
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
This isn't an easy decision ofc. If your heart is definitely set on York, I would make them your firm and I would recommend an insurance choice that is in line with your predicted grades ideally and failing that, at least lower than what your firm wants. It would be stupid to make a uni your insurance choice when it has wants higher grades than your firm. Hope this helps and good luck! :smile:

If they emailed me a response about asking the same question, stating they’d consider through clearing, should I still main them or main Kent for security and call York on results day?
Reply 11
Original post by bits.of.bio

What course did you do?
Original post by alfonsi
What course did you do?

biomed
If you somehow missed your grades for York, I am sure you could get Kent through clearing anyway so I would put York as your firm
Original post by alfonsi
Thanks! The only thing holding me back is the grade drop Kent offered, lowering it to ABB, but if it’s worth the risk then it’s worth the risk. My course is Psychology which is highly competitive though, so slightly worrying.

hey! its been a couple years, but i'm in the same situation now, going for psychology at york but predicted AAB. how did it go? is it worth applying anyway?
Hi there!

Predicted grades aren't the be all and end all, so it's worth applying anyway as you are only slightly below the typical offer grades. In some cases, lower predicted grades may be considered anyway, as long as the essential subjects are being taken (in the case of Psychology, at least one of your three A levels needs to be in a science, e.g., Biology, Chemistry, Further Maths, Maths, Physics, or Psychology).

I would also advise that if you would like more specific advice, to email [email protected].

Hope that helps a little!

Thanks,
Hannah :smile:
Original post by tamagosan
hey! its been a couple years, but i'm in the same situation now, going for psychology at york but predicted AAB. how did it go? is it worth applying anyway?

Are you attending the open day this weekend? If you are I’d suggest you speak to a member of the admissions team for your subject (they are usually on hand), to ask. I’m not wanting to study your subject but I’ve found when I’ve asked about this, most of the staff at other unis have been honest about it & whether it’s worth applying with slightly lower grades (if applicable). My predicted grades meet the minimum, so my question was based more around what if I don’t meet them on results day.
Original post by alfonsi

ik a friend who got in for 2022 entry with ABC grades for math(for an AAA course), but she excelled in the interview. This person wasnt contextual, i dont think anyway...
Original post by Anonymous
ik a friend who got in for 2022 entry with ABC grades for math(for an AAA course), but she excelled in the interview. This person wasnt contextual, i dont think anyway...

My experience has been that this year, rather than in the last 2 years which were skewed due to CAS, as there’s been a bit of a shift back to ‘normalistic’ examined grades, that Unis have had more wriggle room to accept slightly lower than minimum requirements on results day. However, all the Unis I’ve visited so far have said you need to be predicted the minimum required grades to be in with a good chance of an offer. This is for law though which I know is highly competitive. I’m not sure about psychology.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending