The Student Room Group

What would you do?

Hi, my new flatmate is currently stuck abroad due to flights being suspended during Covid-19.
Both of us are currently **not at the flat. **She wants to have a friend stay over in her room **who is stuck in the UK, and **she is paying rent for still, whilst the property is empty (it is a 2 bed-flat and I am staying elsewhere during the lockdown).
I told her as my parents are the guarantor, they don’t agree with subletting to someone else as per the contract. She responded to say her friend won’t pay rent, hence it wouldn’t be subletting. She said she can also provide a UK based guarantor if it helps, but I don’t think that can be arranged mid-contract. Also said that her friend doesn’t have many places they can stay.
To be honest, I am not entirely comfortable with a stranger I do not know being at the property whilst it is empty, but it sounds a bit cold to say this as it is her friend/ they haven't got a place to stay here as they are stuck from abroad here due to Covid, and it may cause tensions with her. Also she argued that she is happy to provide her own UK based guarantor instead, and that if her friend isn’t paying rent, it isn’t technically subletting / violating the contract

Please note: this is privately rented accommodation.
I mean she is right though. Her friend would be her guest which most contracts allow a stay over for up to 2 weeks. Since we’ve all been forced into lockdown, her friend is stuck at the place and therefore that part of the contract isn’t entirely forceable. Besides the friend is staying in her room because she’s stuck in the uk, it really shouldn’t be a big deal until lockdown is over. So if you’re concerned legal wise, you’re both good. If you’re concerned about your personal space, maybe you can be considerate since she won’t be able to go anywhere else
Original post by Second_Beauty
I mean she is right though. Her friend would be her guest which most contracts allow a stay over for up to 2 weeks. Since we’ve all been forced into lockdown, her friend is stuck at the place and therefore that part of the contract isn’t entirely forceable. Besides the friend is staying in her room because she’s stuck in the uk, it really shouldn’t be a big deal until lockdown is over. So if you’re concerned legal wise, you’re both good. If you’re concerned about your personal space, maybe you can be considerate since she won’t be able to go anywhere else

Her friend is not currently staying there, and I am currently with my family but may need to go back to the flat in mid-May and am also paying full rent for it.

Her friend is stuck in the UK elsewhere, and my flatmate herself is still in India. Hence the friend would be taking my own set of keys to go to the flat (I can’t take the tube as not a key worker) and stay there whilst it is completely empty. My valuables are also partly in the flat and my bedroom can’t be locked, plus my dad is currently the sole guarantor on the property, so would be liable for any damages.

Do you think it’s unreasonable to say no, based on the above?
Original post by Icedragoness274
Her friend is not currently staying there, and I am currently with my family but may need to go back to the flat in mid-May and am also paying full rent for it.

Her friend is stuck in the UK elsewhere, and my flatmate herself is still in India. Hence the friend would be taking my own set of keys to go to the flat (I can’t take the tube as not a key worker) and stay there whilst it is completely empty. My valuables are also partly in the flat and my bedroom can’t be locked, plus my dad is currently the sole guarantor on the property, so would be liable for any damages.

Do you think it’s unreasonable to say no, based on the above?

Okay yeah. I was confused. I’d say no. She isn’t even there to accommodate her friend and this girl is literally a complete stranger to you. So yeah I’d tell her no

Quick Reply

Latest