bioenthusiast
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I am considering doing a masters in either public health or immunology after I graduate. But I am wondering, is it common to do your masters straight after undergrad? Or do most people take a year out?

I’m also confused as to what experience would be beneficial.
sh2018
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by bioenthusiast)
I am considering doing a masters in either public health or immunology after I graduate. But I am wondering, is it common to do your masters straight after undergrad? Or do most people take a year out?

if you want to do your master, doesn't have any ages restriction but some advice that doing master after gaining some experience at work in the real world if you go on https://www.prospects.ac.uk/postgrad...hould-i-choose and have little search will help you to make a decision.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago

It used to be entirely standard to do a Masters straight after undergrad, but there are a number of reasons now why it might not be the best idea.

It's stronger and more certain to apply with the actual grades, rather than forecast.

Your references will be stronger if you have completed your undergrad course, especially re the dissertation, than if you get them at the end of the second year.

Because of the above, you will be more competitive for funding.

You have a year to either get more experience, or earn more money, of if you are lucky, both.

Same applied for the move Masters to PhD, except even more so.
Soph2468
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I have just been offered a place to start in September for MSc Public health and I have just finished my undergrad degree. Covid-19 is making me so confused as to actually do the masters or not at this point
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Soph2468)
I have just been offered a place to start in September for MSc Public health and I have just finished my undergrad degree. Covid-19 is making me so confused as to actually do the masters or not at this point
Preumably your professional ambitions haven't changed.

Teaching online isn't the end of the world, in fact it has several advantages. And it may only be for the first term.

The competition for places will likely be higher next year if you can't get a deferral.

What will you do instead and how will you pay for it?
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hasn't covid-19 actually answered that.... The importantance of someone with an MSc in Public health most definitely can't be understated........

Beyond that, unless you have a job lined up to start in September... You'll be job hunting either way....starting from September-October... You can now decide do you want to do that and be guided by having a master's or just relying on your undergrad for a career.
Soph2468
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Preumably your professional ambitions haven't changed.

Teaching online isn't the end of the world, in fact it has several advantages. And it may only be for the first term.

The competition for places will likely be higher next year if you can't get a deferral.

What will you do instead and how will you pay for it?
No they definitely haven't changed at all, yes online teaching has its advantages but I have been used to face to face teaching for the past four years on my undergrad degree I think it would take some time to get used too. I am just concerned incase this would have an effect on my studies.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
No they definitely haven't changed at all, yes online teaching has its advantages but I have been used to face to face teaching for the past four years on my undergrad degree I think it would take some time to get used too. I am just concerned incase this would have an effect on my studies.
Well talk to people studying this year, they changed delivery format in the space of the Easter break. So did small children at school. It's not difficult.
Soph2468
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Well talk to people studying this year, they changed delivery format in the space of the Easter break. So did small children at school. It's not difficult.
I am one of those students? I was 'taught' our lessons 'online' for well over a month and we did not receive a single actual lecture towards the end. This is my concern moving forward.
Soph2468
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
Hasn't covid-19 actually answered that.... The importantance of someone with an MSc in Public health most definitely can't be understated........

Beyond that, unless you have a job lined up to start in September... You'll be job hunting either way....starting from September-October... You can now decide do you want to do that and be guided by having a master's or just relying on your undergrad for a career.
Thank you for the advice!
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I am one of those students? I was 'taught' our lessons 'online' for well over a month and we did not receive a single actual lecture towards the end. This is my concern moving forward.
Are you staying at the same Uni?
Soph2468
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Possibly. However I am looking at different alternatives
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Is staying at the same uni a bad thing?
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
Is staying at the same uni a bad thing?
Not necessarily. But just because the experience has been bad at one university it doesn't mean it will be bad at another. If the OP is concerned with the quality of online teaching they have just received, they should check out what's going on at the university the have offers for, it could be quite different in another institution (or indeed Department, but if they are carrying on at the same institution they may well be in the same Department).
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Not necessarily. But just because the experience has been bad at one university it doesn't mean it will be bad at another. If the OP is concerned with the quality of online teaching they have just received, they should check out what's going on at the university the have offers for, it could be quite different in another institution (or indeed Department, but if they are carrying on at the same institution they may well be in the same Department).
Ahh, well i switched uni's for my masters just because i thought it would look weird by just going to one uni lol. But good to know it doesn't particularly matter.
Finance_babe
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago

Save yourself money and debt, the economy is not looking great even with a masters you will find it difficult to get a job.
If you’re thinking of going into finance do the IMC it’s a compact version of the CFA and it will get you up to speed as well as highly sought after. Let me know if you need any further help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (517)
33.72%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.36%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.35%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed