^v^
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi there, can anyone tell me what's unique about Medical courses at Cambridge (apart from prestige)? Are there chances of conducting our own research? What is their teaching style? Thanks
Sophhhowa
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The big difference is that it starts all theory while most unis combine theory with hands on experience cam waits till later yrs for hands on experience. Have you checked the website for info?
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Probably one of the more notable aspects is the anatomy, including full body dissection, which is quite rare at medical schools these days as I understand. You'll do some kind of dissertation type research in Part II - they do have an MBPhD scheme as well. It's a traditional lecture course for the first three years, then clinical placements (although they have some clinical type work in the pre-clinical phase with I think GP visits and they shadow a pregnant woman throughout her pregnancy in I think second year).

All of which is listed on their website, incidentally...
^v^
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sophhhowa)
The big difference is that it starts all theory while most unis combine theory with hands on experience cam waits till later yrs for hands on experience. Have you checked the website for info?
ic, thanks Sophhhowa!
^v^
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Probably one of the more notable aspects is the anatomy, including full body dissection, which is quite rare at medical schools these days as I understand. You'll do some kind of dissertation type research in Part II - they do have an MBPhD scheme as well. It's a traditional lecture course for the first three years, then clinical placements (although they have some clinical type work in the pre-clinical phase with I think GP visits and they shadow a pregnant woman throughout her pregnancy in I think second year).

All of which is listed on their website, incidentally...
Thanks artful_lounger!

Btw I went onto their website to take a look at the Year Three options and may I know what's the difference between part II BBS and Part II natural sciences subject? i saw that some options offered in part II natural sciences subject overlap with part II BBS and wonder if they are the same thing.

Thank you
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ^v^)
Thanks artful_lounger!

Btw I went onto their website to take a look at the Year Three options and may I know what's the difference between part II BBS and Part II natural sciences subject? i saw that some options offered in part II natural sciences subject overlap with part II BBS and wonder if they are the same thing.

Thank you
BBS is a "library" dissertation, whereas the Part II in a named subject will be a lab/experimental project. The teaching provision for both BBS and named Part II course content outside of projects will be the same though in terms of lectures, supervisions, etc. For many BBS major options, they'll cover the even the same entire content as the Part II named subjects (although some may take a slightly reduced number of modules for modular Part II subjects like genetics or zoology).

You also take a minor option in BBS, which can be drawn from a variety of Part II named subject/major option modules, or from some BBS specific pathways (there are two medicine themed minor options, one in primary care research and the other in anatomy), and you can mix and match subjects a little potentially. But the major difference is whether your dissertation/project will involve labwork or not - if you wanted to potentially continue into research (e.g. PhD etc) it'd be better to do a lab/experimental project generally.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 year ago
^v^
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
BBS is a "library" dissertation, whereas the Part II in a named subject will be a lab/experimental project. The teaching provision for both BBS and named Part II course content outside of projects will be the same though in terms of lectures, supervisions, etc. For many BBS major options, they'll cover the even the same entire content as the Part II named subjects (although some may take a slightly reduced number of modules for modular Part II subjects like genetics or zoology).

You also take a minor option in BBS, which can be drawn from a variety of Part II named subject/major option modules, or from some BBS specific pathways (there are two medicine themed minor options, one in primary care research and the other in anatomy), and you can mix and match subjects a little potentially. But the major difference is whether your dissertation/project will involve labwork or not - if you wanted to potentially continue into research (e.g. PhD etc) it'd be better to do a lab/experimental project generally.
Thank you for your detailed explanation.

just want to clarify-- does it mean that for the year 3 options for medicine, since it's stated as Part II for both "BBS in natural sciences" and "natural science subject", i will anyway do a lab project if i choose a science subject? and is that under these part II courses, i can further choose a major and a minor?
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ^v^)
Thank you for your detailed explanation.

just want to clarify-- does it mean that for the year 3 options for medicine, since it's stated as Part II for both "BBS in natural sciences" and "natural science subject", i will anyway do a lab project if i choose a science subject? and is that under these part II courses, i can further choose a major and a minor?
No, when I referred to "named Part II subjects" I meant the individual part subjects outside of BBS - e.g. PDN, PNB, Zoology, Genetics, Pathology, Biochemistry etc. If you are in BBS you will do a library dissertation regardless of your major/minor options.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
14.29%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.69%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.59%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
39.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.27%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.2%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.4%

Watched Threads