Isabelm13
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I am thinking of taking History, Politics and either Philosophy and Ethics or Psychology for my A-Levels. But I only have one facilitating subject here, would this disadvantage me when applying for a Politics or International Relations degree at top Russel group unis???

I have considered taking French so I have 2 facilitating subjects however the A-Level is so much harder than GCSE and surely it’s better to have an A in something like Philosophy than a B or C in French???
Last edited by Isabelm13; 1 year ago
ivybridges
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Isabelm13)
Hi, I am thinking of taking History, Politics and either Philosophy and Ethics or Psychology for my A-Levels. But I only have one facilitating subject here, would this disadvantage me when applying for a Politics or International Relations degree??

I have considered taking French so I have 2 facilitating subjects however the A-Level is so much harder than GCSE and surely it’s better to have an A in something like Philosophy than a B or C in French???
English Lit?
Leelamb111
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
English combined or just English lit is good to have and is seen to be a good alevel and is respected by Russel group universities however english is very challenging and is a huge step up from gcse as all alevels are to
Possibly this
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The theory behind facilitating subjects is now beginning to be regarded as antiquated and now the current thinking is a little bit less closed, i think you'd be fine with the combinations you were already looking at before.
RiaWombat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just take what you enjoy, politics courses don’t tend to care much as long as you have a strong set of essay subjects.
ivybridges
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Also, while I suggested English Literature, please be aware that the other courses you’ve listed are strong subjects. They’re not thought of as weak courses - Philosophy and Ethics in particular is quite a challenging A-Level, as many of us have little experience with it and it forces you to think very abstractly in ways you otherwise probably wouldn’t have.

I wouldn’t get super worried about facilitating A-Levels. I don’t think they really care that much to be frank with you.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No it wouldnt disadvantage you. You just need the levels required then you pick the A levels you enjoy so you can get high grades in them. No unis really care about facilitating and if they did, they would mention it in their entry requirements. The only uni that would care about subjects is LSE and both philosophy and psychology are listed as a preferred subject. Don't tale an A level just because its "facilitating" and if you don't believe me, research actual uni entry requirements rather what everyone says about "facilitating" subjects. I defo agree an A is better than a B or C in french (Grades > non-required subjects)
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Unless it's listed as an essential or preferred subject, it won't make any dfference.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.53%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (12)
14.12%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (16)
18.82%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
10.59%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
34.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (16)
18.82%

Watched Threads